• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing .300 Rem Ultra Mag to .416 Rigby Conversion

superwolf

Private
Minuteman
Jul 8, 2007
I currenlty have a Stainless Steel Rem 700 LA Action originally chambered in .300 Rem Ultra Mag and I wanted to convert the action to accept .416 Rigby. What modifications are needed? Do I need to get a new bolt? Mag Box? Thanks.

Re: .300 Rem Ultra Mag to .416 Rigby Conversion

Can anyone help me? Thanks.

COAL of the Rigby is too large for the Rem action

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: BeachGun</div><div class="ubbcode-body">COAL of the Rigby is too large for the Rem action </div></div>

I really do appreciate the help. What does COAL stand for? Would a .416 Rem work in a Remington Long Action? If it does would I need to get a new bolt, or would the .300 RUM bolt work? Thanks.

Remington uses the 700 LA for their African Big Game rifle chambered in 416 Rem. So, it will work for your conversion to 416 Rem.

Case head diameter for the 416 Rem is .532 which is standard for belted mags. Your 300 RUM bolt will work just fine without modification.

All you'll need to do to go to 416 Rem is a new barrel. Feeding from the mag shouldn't be an issue as they are both very similar in body dimensions up to the shoulder and case lengths are identical.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Brain</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Remington uses the 700 LA for their African Big Game rifle chambered in 416 Rem. So, it will work for your conversion to 416 Rem.

Case head diameter for the 416 Rem is .532 which is standard for belted mags. Your 300 RUM bolt will work just fine without modification.

All you'll need to do to go to 416 Rem is a new barrel. Feeding from the mag shouldn't be an issue as they are both very similar in body dimensions up to the shoulder and case lengths are identical. </div></div>

I have always loved Rem 700's and I have always wanted to build a big game hunting rifle chambered in .416 Rigby. I love the .450 Rigby also but it may be just too much.

Is there anyway to make a Rigby cartridge fit a Rem LA? Or is it just not possible?

Thanks again for all the help guys.

It is possible to make a .416 Rigby work in a Rem 700, but why would you want to make extra work for yourself in doing so when the .416 Rem delivers almost identical performance?

.416 Rigby would need a boltface in the same class as a 338LM...that is ~.588. With the .416 Rem, you keep your bolt as it is and just screw on a new barrel.

Talk to a smith who has done 338LM conversions on the Rem 700 as it would be the same amount of work for the .416 Rigby to function. About the only benefit to the Rigby over the Rem would be the lower operating pressure of the Rigby.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Brain</div><div class="ubbcode-body">It is possible to make a .416 Rigby work in a Rem 700, but why would you want to make extra work for yourself in doing so when the .416 Rem delivers almost identical performance?

.416 Rigby would need a bolt face in the same class as a 338LM...that is ~.588 With the .416 Rem, you keep your bolt as it is and just screw on a new barrel.

Talk to a smith who has done 338LM conversions on the Rem 700 as it would be the same amount of work for the .416 Rigby to function. About the only benefit to the Rigby over the Rem would be the lower operating pressure of the Rigby. </div></div>

I guess I liked to own rifles that would be unique compared to other similar rifles. The Rigby (416 or 450) is just exotic to me. Kind of like a New SS Camero to a New GTR. Both good, I just like my stuff exotic without going over board.

As Brain mentioned, is there anyone out there that know what kind of work needs to be done to convert a 700 LA to chamber a .416 Rigby besides the bolt and barrel? Is there a problem with bullet length? Thanks again for help guys.

I do not have an experience with this but as long as the empty cases will eject then you can build a single shot in one.

As stated the bolt will have to be opened. Up and a new barrel and possibly have to modify the ejection port.

Since the overall length of the rnd is too long you will not be able to make it a repeated.

To explain this the bolt does not have a long enough throw for the rnd
To come up in the action. The action is not long enough to feed a rnd straight in.
O
By single feeding toucan get away with a longer rnd because you don't put the rnd straight in it ors in at a angle

The COAL of the Rigby is 3.75". It's more than a 1/8" longer than the 300 UM. If it could be done, the action might have to be opened up in the bottom, custom magazine, maybe the port will have to be opened to eject loaded cartridges.

Sell the 300 and buy a CZ or a Ruger (M77 or the beautiful #1) in 416 Rigby, or spend as much converting a 700

<span style="font-weight: bold">Quicky06</span>, The Rem 700 will work as a repeater for cartridges of 3.75" OAL. I run a 3.828" OAL cartridge in one and it feeds just fine from the mag. Plenty of bolt travel available and a Wyatt's mag box holds the rounds just fine.

As BeachGun said though, money would be best spent buying one already built if you're bent on having a Rigby.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Brain</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><span style="font-weight: bold">Quicky06</span>, The Rem 700 will work as a repeater for cartridges of 3.75" OAL. I run a 3.828" OAL cartridge in one and it feeds just fine from the mag. Plenty of bolt travel available and a Wyatt's mag box holds the rounds just fine.

As BeachGun said though, money would be best spent buying one already built if you're bent on having a Rigby. </div></div>

Agreed on the COAL,I run 3.80" with a Wyatts EBM,I don't know if a Remmy 338LM bolt will work for sure,you could probably get one from PTG.Seems like a pretty straight forward build to me.Most of the 416 Rigby Factory rifles I've seen are pretty pricey.

The Rigby case is .050" longer than a 416 Remington case which will cause crowding in the magazine box. An extended mag box can be installed but it will have to be a center feed box as the geometry in the magazine doesn't work on these larger cases to work with feed rails. Capacity would be one in the chamber and two in the magazine. New bolt, new barrel and new magazine required. Then the feed ramp will have to worked on to get it to feed solids and flat nose bullets to feed. Sounds simple but requires a lot of work.
Got a 416 #6 Lilja barrel in stock. Left over from when I build myself a 416-338 Lapua.