• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

300 RUM brass

Sonic Crack

Desert Tech Solutions
Minuteman
Oct 24, 2011
Wellington, Ohio
m.facebook.com
Im going to be building a 300 RUM, Planing on running 208-220 grain bullets over Retumbo or H1000 for steel/paper/groundhogs. My question is about what brass to run, I have run Fed and Nos brass in other calibers and been happy. Any Nosler or Federal brass for the RUM is out of stock or priced way to high. Remington brass is available but, I have no experience with any Remington brass. I guess I just dont have the warm n fuzzy about the Rem brass because of this. So should I wait for NOS or FED or just get the Rem? I'm in no hurry.

Re: 300 RUM brass

I just got some Nosler to try prior to that I was using all Remington just because of availability. Federal SUCKS, main complaint with the Remington was how their brass was packaged.
(The big plastic bag). Wasn't uncommon to have some dented necks/mouths.
Last time I had maybe 12 from a bag of 50. I called Remington and they replaced'm no questions asked. As long as they do that I'm good with that.
I'm working on shooting the same bullet weights you are my primary powders are H4831SC and Retumbo. SC isn't quite as quick but does well in accuracy for me.

Yeah im not crazy about bag brass eather. Wht kind of fps are you getting with retumbo? Barrel length?
I'm planning on running a 30" barrel just to get all the fps i can.

We loaded some Remington 300 RUM brass for a project gun, and the necks were splitting after the first firing. We annealed the cases on virgin brass, and it solved our neck splits. Other than that, it's good brass.

I've been loading Remington brass for my 300 RUM for several years now, I have several batches of cases that have 5-6 loadings on them,
I'm running H4831SC, 208 AMAX and CCI 250.
I haven't had any issues with the Remington brass other than a few dented case necks new out of the bag.

I've also run the Nosler brass which is really nice, but hard to find. I had one case collapse on me after I annealed it, I'm not sure why it collapsed, but the rest of the cases are fine. I am on the 5th loading of that batch of cases.

Brass is going to be the issue. Nosler is very cyclic with brass. Case in point a local vendor said he just got 280AI brass that has been back ordered since Feb of this year. The problem is the Nosle processes the brass when they get it. Then it is shipped out to cover back orders and new orders leaving none on the shelves. Plus some of the brass they advertise as new in 2012 has not hit the shleves yet....

Remington simple sucks at shipping brass for reloaders...........and Federal is even worse.....

I shoot Nosler brass exclusively in my .300 RUM because of its consistancy. It really is quality stuff. I seem to find it in small ammo shops around my area randomly. If i see a box of it, i buy it as it comes around. But yes, its hard to find online. My rifle really likes 88.7gr of RL25 with Fed 215s pushing 200gr Accubonds. Through the chrony its showing an average of 3055 fps with about 8 fps +/- over a 5 shot group. a LOT of people swear by Retumbo and Accubonds with somehwere between 92-95gr of powder. Do a google search and you'll get pages of peoples data on the round.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Sonic Crack</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Yeah im not crazy about bag brass eather. Wht kind of fps are you getting with retumbo? Barrel length?
I'm planning on running a 30" barrel just to get all the fps i can. </div></div>
I haven't chronoed it since I had it rebarreled but with a 26" barrel I was getting an
ave. of 3140 with the Retumbo and a 200gr Accubond. Its a pretty lethal load at least according to a warthog,zebra,gemsbuck and impala I met once.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Ghogs Nightmare</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I just got some Nosler to try prior to that I was using all Remington just because of availability. Federal SUCKS, main complaint with the Remington was how their brass was packaged.
(The big plastic bag). Wasn't uncommon to have some dented necks/mouths.
Last time I had maybe 12 from a bag of 50. I called Remington and they replaced'm no questions asked. As long as they do that I'm good with that.
I'm working on shooting the same bullet weights you are my primary powders are H4831SC and Retumbo. SC isn't quite as quick but does well in accuracy for me. </div></div>

Can you explain a bit more about the Federal? I picked up some about 6 months ago at a local shop, but have since worked up a load with Remington.

Personally I really dont mind the Remy brass in the 300 RUM. I think I'm on my 3rd reloading with no problems. What I have heard about the Nosler is the primer pockets open up way too quick.

Nosler brass is nice and pretty but it is expensive and will lose primer pockets faster than the much cheaper Remington brass. If only Lapua would make 300 RUM brass.....

I shoot both nosler and remington brass in my RUM with no real difference between them in performance.

I do a bit of prep on the remington brass that is already done on the nosler stuff, I anneal both after every 2 firings and don't run particularly hot loads.
It's a tight chambered Hart barrel so 86 gr. of H1000 gets me 3060 with a 208 amax in remington brass and 85.5 gr. of H1000 gets me 3110 with the 200 AB in nosler brass.

Seems the nosler has slightly lower case capacity. The remington isn't nearly as consistent when weight sorting as the Nosler is presorted. I don't think I'll be springing for the nosler brass again but who knows?

I've been using Remington brass in a stock Sendero with 96.5g of retumbo with 180 AB, that gets 3 shot averages at 3360-3370fps , .3-.4" 3 shot groups. The bolt gets sticky at 97g, at 96.5 I get slight ejector marks but it shoots great. I aneal every 2 firings, the primer pockets open up a bit after the 7th firing. I think it holds up well for the price.

Well I picked up 20 pieces of Rem brass from the local sporting goods store to check them out. Weighed 5 pieces as a small sample, 1.8 grains ES on the brass and .5 grains ES on case capacity of water. I would say thats good enough to give Rem brass a shot.

I shoot 230 target hybrids, and the 225 hornady bthp's out of my 26" barreled 300rum. H1k, up to 91.5gr's 3000fps on the dot. Shoots good.

For ground hogs though? you are way better off with a different bullet and so are the chucks, you won't get any expansion on the bullet and despite decent hits some will get to the holes. There is a correct tool for every job, these bullets are not that tool for hunting groundhogs.

True the heavy bullets will not get much if any expansion on the 4-6 inch cross section of a thin skinned hog but, the energy is there and thats what will turn there insides to soup. Chest shots even with 240 SMK I will guaranty that hog is not gona make it to his hole. Would that be the best tool for the job? probably not but it will do the job. The 208-220 weight is just the heaviest I was planning on running, I am planning testing with 150+ grain hunting rounds also

The 200gr accubond is a match made in heaven with the 300 RUM. Once Nosler releases the Accubond LR's (210gr Accubond B.C. of .730) its only going to get better.I run my RUM with 88.7gr of RL 25 @ 3055 fps with the 200gr accubond, .3's to .4" groups.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: xXlojackXx</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The 200gr accubond is a match made in heaven with the 300 RUM. <span style="color: #FF0000">Once Nosler releases the Accubond LR's (210gr Accubond B.C. of .730)</span> its only going to get better.I run my RUM with 88.7gr of RL 25 @ 3055 fps with the 200gr accubond, .3's to .4" groups.</div></div>

where did you get that info?