• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Suppressors 300 whisper

kboteler

Private
Minuteman
Jun 20, 2011
MS
I'm thinking about buying a 300 whisper barrel for my TC encore. I is a 22" barrel, my question is shooting subsonic ammo without a supressor. How loud will it be? I hunt whitetails in some urban/suburban areas and an looking for something quite enough. Eventually I'd like to get a license so I could also attach a can. Thanks

Re: 300 whisper

In MS, you can hunt suppressed!
I love hunting in MS, hunt a patch of land along the Trace outside Jackson.

A Whisper at subsonic speeds will be loud still, but no supersonic crack. Without a can, it will still sound like a gunshot.

My recommendation would be buy the barrel, take it to a good smith, have them ream it for 300BLK (so you can safely shoot whisper and BLK ammo) and have it shortened to 16" - and threaded for the can you will eventually buy. None of this is necessary immediately, but all together will make a damn fine subsonic hunter.
Are you a reloader or shooting only factory ammo?

Will be reloading. Without supressor how much louder will it be compared to a 22 longrifle?

It's hard to compare with a 22LR, much more concussion. A 22" tube will help, but it is only quiet when suppressed. I'd say, sound signature-wise, unsuppressed, somewhere between 22LR pistol and a shotgun.

Reloading gives you lots of options. There are many good recipes online and in various reloading manuals.

Thanks...I'm gonna apply for a supressor license soon.

When it comes time to buy a can who do you recommend? and wat is the cost?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: kboteler</div><div class="ubbcode-body">When it comes time to buy a can who do you recommend? and wat is the cost? </div></div>

If you can't break the bank, I'd say look at Yankee Hills. The Phantom 7.62 SS is a good can. It is bulky and heavy, but a good can for the money.
If you have more to spend, there are many options. How much can you put into a suppressor(keeping in mind the $200 BATFE tax to get it)?

Kbot,

You don't need a license for a can in MS. Just the same ATF form 4 b.s. that everyone else has to put up with.

Out of all my cans/integrals, I like my SRT Arms the best. If I bought Doug's stuff first, I don't think I'd have any of the others that I do now.

He doesn't really advertise, he just builds top quality gear at a reasonable price.

I'm down on the coast, don't know where you are, but if southerly I can make a recommendation for a good class III to handle the transfer for you.

Cheers,
Breeze

Southbreeze,

I'm in the Jackson metro area about 160 miles from the coast. How long did it take for you to get all your papers?

Rancid,

Is the tax on top of the supressor price?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: kboteler</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Will be reloading. Without supressor how much louder will it be compared to a 22 longrifle? </div></div>

An unsuppressed Whisper will sound similar to a 9mm according to my admittedly uncalibrated ear. My normal load was a 220 SMK over 9 gr. H110 (I have since moved to the AAC Blackout platform). It gave me about 1030 fps. It's not quiet enough that I would be able to hit the range without hearing protection... at least until I get the transfer approval (Gemtech HVT-QD).
laugh.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: kboteler</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Southbreeze,

I'm in the Jackson metro area about 160 miles from the coast. How long did it take for you to get all your papers?

Rancid,

Is the tax on top of the supressor price? </div></div>

The $200 tax is a check you write to the BATFE, and is entirely in addition to the cost of the suppressor.

Kbot,

Your question to Rancid....yes. That $200 check is what puts ATF to approving your form 4.

Shortest time was 3 weeks and the longest was 8 weeks. 300 blk is worth looking at, you can get remington sub 220grn ammo from midway. I've just picked up a noveske 300 blk upper from another 'hider. It'll run without any hang ups, just haven't been able to put bullet to the bone yet.

Cheers,
Breeze

Will the dealer refund the money if you are denied a stamp?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: kboteler</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Will the dealer refund the money if you are denied a stamp? </div></div>

Not usually, but if you can pass a regular 4473, there is no reason you should not be approved for a Form 4.

I've bought several guns lately and had no problem passing.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: kboteler</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Will the dealer refund the money if you are denied a stamp? </div></div>

It's not the dealer that refunds the money. The ATF will send you a check back for $200 if they deny your transfer. It is a TAX on the transfer of ownership, sorta like a sales tax, so if there is no transfer, then there is no tax. You get your money back if you don't get the suppressor.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: johngfoster</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: kboteler</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Will the dealer refund the money if you are denied a stamp? </div></div>

It's not the dealer that refunds the money. The ATF will send you a check back for $200 if they deny your transfer. It is a TAX on the transfer of ownership, sorta like a sales tax, so if there is no transfer, then there is no tax. You get your money back if you don't get the suppressor. </div></div>

Yes you will get your $200 tax back from the ATF if you are denied, but you generally will not get the purchase price of the suppressor back. Although your dealer may sell the suppressor for you for your purchase price.

kboteler,

I'm in your area, and have a 300 Whisper Encore you're welcome to shoot with and without a suppressor. Let me warn you when you shoot it, or anything else suppressed, be ready to spend some money because there is no going back.

Shotcaller is bang on the money. It's like crossing over to the dark side! You'll also find yourself wearing one of those "I just pumped the cat" grins.

Then you'll find yourself looking at all your guns and figuring how much it would run to all the barrels threaded!

Cheers,
Breeze

Shotcaller,

Where are you located?

Breeze,

That's what i'm afraid of once I started reloading it was like that also.

I live in Ridgeland, we shoot at my range just outside of Canton.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Southbreeze</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> You'll also find yourself wearing one of those "I just pumped the cat" grins.

Cheers,
Breeze </div></div>

Now THATS funny !!!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: IFlyLow1959</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Now THATS funny !!! </div></div>
And True!
There is something oh so special about sending a supressed subsonic 220 grain 30 caliber projectile down range.