• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Range Report 300 Win Mag, 208 AMax, RL17

Re: 300 Win Mag, 208 AMax, RL17

I know it's not what you're asking for, but I've had good luck with H-1000 and the 208 amax. My chamber is on the minimum SAMMI side, and I'm using ~76 grains. Other folks have gone a couple grains higher. I may have to run it over the chrono today with the new lot of powder, if the damn rain lets up.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Dibbs</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I know it's not what you're asking for, but I've had good luck with H-1000 and the 208 amax. My chamber is on the minimum SAMMI side, and I'm using ~76 grains. Other folks have gone a couple grains higher. I may have to run it over the chrono today with the new lot of powder, if the damn rain lets up. </div></div>

+1
I run 77gr of H-1000. Great load.

Start at about 67 grains and work up to a max of about 70 grains.

I run 68.5 grains in FC brass but can run 70 in Winchester.

RL17 seems sort of a fast powder for a 300wm.

I shoot H1000 also.... try RL22 if you want a reloader recipe.

Do you have a really short barrel?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: jwoolf</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Do you have a really short barrel? </div></div>

<span style="font-weight: bold"><span style="font-style: italic">That's what she said ... </span></span>
laugh.gif

But really what I'm dealing with is that my H-1000 loads are running out of case capacity before I max out in pressure.

The reason for trying Reloader 17 is that I already have so much of it and that it's proven so effective with 208's in .308's and .30-06's. Yeah, I think it might be too fast for .300 Win Mag but I thought I'd test the waters and see.

Thanks for all your help.