• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

.300 Win Mag Barrel Length? is 22" to short?

shooterrdy

Sergeant
Minuteman
Apr 15, 2011
Kansas
Ok this might belong in Gunsmith area if so sorry.

I am putting a 300 WM together, rifle is a Remington PSS 26" 1/10 Twist. I want to cut it back to 22.5" but not sure this is a good idea. the intent comes from a post that reads you can take Federal Gold Medal Match 190 grn .300wm and cut down a 26" barrel 1" at a time back to 22"s and not loose velocity. If this is true then that should make a 22.5" barrel good to go I do however hope to use 208 grn. A Max bullets instead of SMK 190's I plan to use an AI AX chassis not that it matters for barrel length but that is the
stock of choice and I plan to use a APA Little Jimmy brake and bolt knob.

Any results you may have with a short 22-23" Barrel's Velocity would be appreciated.

Also does the AX chassis require a oversized recoil lug or will the stock lug be enough.

Thanks

I can answer the recoil lug question. You will be fine with the stock recoil lug. Some of the bigger aftermarket lugs do not fit (my Badger recoil lug was to tall, the width was not an issue) If you have an aftermarket trigger you will have to have the trigger well opened up a little.

Stock trigger, stock lug are gtg in an Ax chassis.

I have 22inch 300 that launches the Berger 185gr hunting VLD around 3025fps with Rl22. I switched to H1000 but don't have a velocity for it yet.

You will more then likely get more velocity loss per inch with a factory barrel vs. an aftermarket barrel. Rule per thumb is around 20-25 fps loss for every inch with an aftermarket and 30-50fps with a factory barrel.

Reason for this is most aftermarket barrels are more concentric, free of tooling marks, and are usually hand lapped from the factory. Regarding the article you read, if it is the TacOps article the barrel used in his evaluation was an aftermarket Krieger.

Last edited:
You're going to lose velocity but it's not going to be 500FPS or anything. I'd say 75-100FPS. Muzzle blast sure will increase though.

Yes it was the TacOps article and I do think it read Krieger barrel. Spoke with a few more builders about the short barrel no one recommended a length less than 24" with a large Brake like the Little Jimmy. so now looking to leave it at 25" save the short work for a .308 or .260 just had a major gun fever on the Surgeon CSR on the cover of the latest Recoil Magazine cover Crazy Bad.

Thanks for all the input.