• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

.300 Win Mag Brass

rmp.308

Private
Minuteman
Sep 2, 2011
Hello All,

I was wondering if anyone had an answer as to why is it so difficult to find .300 win mag brass. I have been to just about every gun store in Nevada and have looked online and can't find it anywhere. 30-06, 270 hell even .308 I have found but no .300 win. mag. I didn't think that the .300WM was that popular. The only thing I can think of is that "I have heard" that the military is converting there M24's and the M40-A5's to .300WM and the brass is being supplied to the military first. Again this is what I have heard. I do not know that to be fact. Any input is much appreciated.

Thanks,
Rick

I swapped from a 308 to a 300wm a few months ago and have found a few things to be true...

Brass will always be hard to find for the 300wm -- You're better off buying 1 shot brass and going from there. Hornady and Fed work best for me...I find that after 4/5 reloads, they're done...So, I'm averaging about 3/4 shots per case unless I get lucky and find them somewhere on-line.

Bullets, especially anything above 168gr goes VERY FAST. - I practically have to RUSH to Brownells/Natchez every time the 168/178/208 AMAX pops up. - I've literally become a bullet hoarder for that very reason.

Magnum primers might as well be myths too.

At the end of the day, I'd suggest Gunbroker...But, shopping for the 300wm has always been rather difficult.

Last edited:
Yep that's what I did. I went from .308 to .300wm. Thank you for your response. I'll keep looking.

I finally broke down and order 250 norma brass from bullets.com. Fortunately last year I bought 5k of 215Ms, and stocked up on 208s. Like many I figured since its a less popular caliber the components for the 300WM would be easier to find but that's about the exact opposite.

300 mag brass hasn't always been this elusive, but its pretty bad right now. 300 wsm, too. i'm not hoarding, but I do pick up a bag of 50 where I can find them.

p.s. 300 mag brass scarcity doesn't have to do with military demand, its the fact that 300 mag owners are stockpiling all the available supply they find, and not as much 300 mag brass is being made to meet the demand compared to other cartridges.

Last edited:
Where did you order the brass from? If you don't mind sharing
Thanks

Are you selling this brass? Is it form the same lot?

No, I am not selling that brass but the seller gives the weight and if it is consistent then it is most likely from the same lot.

Last edited:
RHunter, how are the primer pockets on them? fed brass is a little weak in that area
from my experience.
if you take it easy on it you should get 4-5 reloads.

RHunter, how are the primer pockets on them? fed brass is a little weak in that area
from my experience.
if you take it easy on it you should get 4-5 reloads.

Primer pockets are fine, I use federal primers in them since that is what is in them already. That military brass is not crimped and from what I have been told, that brass comes off of the same equipment used in the Federal Gold Medal Match ammo so it is good stuff.

Granted if I load some wicked hot rounds I trash the brass a bit faster but if I stay within mid to low-high the brass lasts for an easy 6 loads. It also depends on how tight your chamber is as well, a loose chamber will be harder on the brass so individual results will vary.

At .50 apiece that auction is a god deal. If I was not sitting on enough to wear out my barrel I'd probably pick it up.

Ordered 100 from Bullets.com. Pack size: 25 each. 1 box was short 4 pieces. Better count them when you get them.

O.K... so I ordered 4 boxes of 25 ea. of Norma 300 Win Mag brass from Bullets.com. One box was short 4 pieces. I figure, "No biggie. Mistakes happen." I get in touch with Bullets.com along with all my order info and let them know I was shorted. They tell me it's a "manufacturer issue" and I gotta go through Norma. I'm think'in WHAT? What kind of reasoning is that? Just how many retailers raise their hands and cry "NO ME PROBLEM" when they sell a defective or incomplete item? I'm not a Norma Customer, I'm a Bullets.com Customer. I figure I did my part and worked hard for the money to pay them in full with and they should do their part and send me what I ordered and if that's not possible due to a snag, they should take care of it and they can do the tap dance with the manufacturer. After all, a deals a deal.

I gotta say... the shooting sports business has it's share of bottom feeders.

UPDATE: They give me a link to contact Norma. Result... "Notification Failure" These guys are good.

Last edited:
I have some Barnes and Federal brass that I have been trying to get rid of for a while. I also have Black Hills factory ammo. IM me if anyone needs any. I'm getting ready for a move and need to clear out the garage.

O.K... so I ordered 4 boxes of 25 ea. of Norma 300 Win Mag brass from Bullets.com. One box was short 4 pieces. I figure, "No biggie. Mistakes happen." I get in touch with Bullets.com along with all my order info and let them know I was shorted. They tell me it's a "manufacturer issue" and I gotta go through Norma. I'm think'in WHAT? What kind of reasoning is that? Just how many retailers raise their hands and cry "NO ME PROBLEM" when they sell a defective or incomplete item? I'm not a Norma Customer, I'm a Bullets.com Customer. I figure I did my part and worked hard for the money to pay them in full with and they should do their part and send me what I ordered and if that's not possible due to a snag, they should take care of it and they can do the tap dance with the manufacturer. After all, a deals a deal.

I gotta say... the shooting sports business has it's share of bottom feeders.

UPDATE: They give me a link to contact Norma. Result... "Notification Failure" These guys are good.
Guess I need to go count my box of 250 from them.

Edit: I lucked out I guess, all 250 are there. Couple have pretty badly dinged up case mouth but I should be able to massage it back into round.

Last edited: