• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

300 Win mag brass

cast1

Polyhobbyism sufferer
Minuteman
Nov 23, 2011
What are most guys using brasswise in the 300 these days? I don't mind and even enjoy brass prep. I've got the Crane Naval print reamer for a 300 win mag. I plan to run the 230 Berger over h1000 out of a 1:10 Kreiger M24 on a trued Remington. Will headspace off the shoulder. I want to work towards mk 248 mod I numbers. Advice please.

I've have a supply of Remington, Norma, Hornady and RWS. All of which came as a package when I purchased the gun. Former owner used the Hornady with the 230gr Bergers loaded hot. He got no more than a few loadings from the Hornady. Im currently using the virgin Remington (well sorted and prepped) along with a supply of the older 208amax. Load is about 76.0 of H1000. So far so good. Im using the virgin Norma with the 225eldm. Also,with H1000. I will know more tomorrow evening on that combination. I havent decided the fate of the RWS yet, as it needs its own workup due to the decreased case capacity I am told. Gun is a Tac-300 and Bartlien 26".

I have had good luck with winchester brass in the 300wm, I have had a box of Nosler brass for years now, cost so much I am afraid to use it. LOL. Actually the winchester brass I have has about 12 loading on it, no where near MK248. For that load I would find the cheapest brass I could because it wont last long.

Win and date stamped FC brass are both pretty good. Win has the most capacity of any I've used.

Norma has been working fine for me so far but I only have 3 reloading's so far none what I'd call hot loads .

I'm using Norma, w/ the 225gr ELD-M and 77gr H-1000. It seems pretty consistent, and if I'm not mistaken Norma provided the brass for lapua when they "made" 300wm brass.

I am using Nosler. 208 ELD's over H1000. I am getting about 5-7 loads out of mine before the pockets are shot

Went with the win brass. I figure I'll beat it up pretty good so I'll just prep it well and buy extra.

I'm using Norma brass, H1000 & RL26 with Berger 215s. I'm not running excessively hot loads (2840 fps) because as I increase charge weights my SD/ES seems to climb even though I'm still not showing pressure signs. I have not experience problems with brass life and have 6-8 reloads on a couple hundred cases.

The original post indicates a 1:10 twist for Berger 230s so it might be worth checking stability numbers at the expected muzzle velocities.

I typically use Hornady Brass but have 299 Norma cases that I bought because I couldn't get Hornady. The Norma brass has a bit more capacity than the Hornady Brass (95 vs 92.5 gr H2O if I remember correctly) so I get the same velocity with approximately a half grain less in the Hornady Brass.

i seem to get around 4 reloadings out of the Hornady Brass before the necks start to split as I do not anneal them. For the Norma I am getting around 4-6 loadings on them before the necks start showing divots where they are going to split on the next firing. However I'm only paying $0.60 for the Hornady vs $1.04 for the Norma so it's essentially a wash on the cost.

CMP70306: whats your load? (Approx). Wondering how hard youre pushing them...

The Norma brass in the beginning I was between 78 and 80 of H1000 behind the Berger 215 trying to get 3000 fps. After the first two loadings I switched to the 212gr ELD-X and settled on 77gr H1000 at 2975 fps.

For the Hornady Brass I am loading 76.5gr H1000 for the 212 ELD-X and 74.7gr H1000 for the 225gr ELD-M.

Former owner ran the 230s at 77.3 H1000 @2930fps. He was getting no more than 3 out of the Hornady brass before the pockets grew too big. The 215s were a mix of R-P, Norma, and RWS running at about 2980. The RWS charge being the lowest for speed due to capacity.

I dont want to push the ELD or AMAX that hard. If I want to kill brass, I'll run his Berger loads!

Your numbers are pretty close to mine with the 208 and 225.

I am shooting 215 Bergers at 2942 to 2975 (depending on temp) using 79 grains of H1000 with Norma cases. So far it looks pretty good, and haven't had any issues loading the cases 3 or 4 times. The rifle doesn't get shot that much except at pigs, so it will take me awhile to say whether or not Norma brass is that good. It does have a bit more capacity than Hornady though, and I think 2950fps is a great load for the 215 Berger.