• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

300 win mag build

plunker20

Bullet Lobber
Minuteman
Dec 4, 2012
Watertown SD
i want to build a 300 win mag and put it in a ai ax what do you guys think i should use to builld it starting with the action

Re: 300 win mag build

That's pretty vague.
Defiance
Surgeon
Bighorn
Stiller
You could wait for the Badger M2013 LA

Look at RWS Gunsmithing's long range rifle.
you can have it built on several different receivers

i wanna keep the gun onder 3500 with out optics ive only got about 6 to spend and i really want a us optics on top

The Stiller and BigHorn actions both come in between 900-1070.
Thirdgenerationshootingsupply.com has a big hoen long action tactical in stock.

Barrel will run you about 330
AX is somewhere around 1,300
if you start adding threaded barrel, brake, flutes you will be coming in at around your target

any one of the excellent vendors here can hook you up with great work. Phoenix Custom Rifles has treated me quite well and right now their full build timeline is around 5 months

You can swing it with 6k. You just have to make wise choices.

caveat to that is make sure that any custom action will drop in to the chassis. sometimes there is some light machining needed to fit the lug. The BigHorn may be this way as I believe the tenon is slightly longer

If I was you, I would go with a donor Rem 700 long action (make sure it has a mag bolt face) and true it up; have someone tune up a stock remington trigger and fit it to a match barrel. that will be the cheapest route and give you plenty of money for the chassis and optics. your setup will be top notch.

Also, RW Snyder or NW Action Works may be able to set you up with a system to your liking w/ plenty left over for optics.

I just got my Surgeon in today... I couldn't be happier. Going to break her in this weekend. I personally wouldn't consider anything other than a Surgeon.

ETA: Pic
IMG_2510_zpsabdf173f.jpg

I really like the surgeon actions too and the badgers I have had a few Remington actions that I wasn't happy with the way the bolt operated I like my savage a lot better but I've also never ran a tried action or a custom action, just kinda hesitant about running a custom if something would go wrong with it I don't think any of our gunsmiths around here would be able to fix it

A trued up Remington w/ an oversize bolt knob is not a Surgeon or Defiance, but they work quite well. GAP's baseline build is off a Remington receiver.

I'm starting with a Remington action I just decided. But is there anywhere cheaper to buy a basic magnum long action receiver other than midway or brownells

I'm having the smith build me a 300wm off a Remington action right now. He gurantees it will shoot .5 moa. Your not going to get a gurantee any better than that with any other action.

My 300 WM was built around a McMillan G30. Actually the whole rifle was built by McMillan.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: plunker20</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I'm starting with a Remington action I just decided. But is there anywhere cheaper to buy a basic magnum long action receiver other than midway or brownells </div></div>

The only other way I can think of that will save you money is to scrounge through pawn shops, Gunbroker, and gun forums.

Don't be afraid to buy a whole rifle and strip it out for the action, especially a pawn shop gun. And the finish can be total crap, beat to heck, you're going to get it refinished anyway so it doesn't matter.

I've gotten RH actions with the trigger for as little as $190 out of pocket that way.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: bohem</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: plunker20</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I'm starting with a Remington action I just decided. But is there anywhere cheaper to buy a basic magnum long action receiver other than midway or brownells </div></div>

The only other way I can think of that will save you money is to scrounge through pawn shops, Gunbroker, and gun forums.

Don't be afraid to buy a whole rifle and strip it out for the action, especially a pawn shop gun. And the finish can be total crap, beat to heck, you're going to get it refinished anyway so it doesn't matter.

I've gotten RH actions with the trigger for as little as $190 out of pocket that way. </div></div>

This.

A few pawnshops local to me know very little about guns and actually had a brand new Savage 110BA barrel/etc no stock...Were letting it go as one of the hunting models...Picked it up for a cool $400.

I'd strongly suggest looking locally before dropping the dough.

Im doing a surgeon 300 win mag build right now to.

Surgeon action
Rock creek barrel
Manners T5A stock
Jewell trigger
NF optics

i have a DTA 300wm with about 2000 rounds through it, i have shot r700 300wm's for about 10k rounds, and i have a GAP 300 templar coming and a AIAX in 300 coming. really can't go wrong with the right builder with any of em.

hows that barrel shooting with 10K rounds of WM through it...or am i reading it wrong? haha