• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

300 Win mag bullet info.

dan25

Private
Minuteman
Mar 22, 2012
I have a 26" barrel, 1/10 twist, remington action, in a 300 win mag. I am a newbie to long range shooting and reloading. I am wondering what would be the best bullet for target and hunting over 190 grains. I want one bullet so I don't have to switch zeros. Any information on factory ammo, or reloading info. would be much appreciated. I am looking for accuracy on targets out to 1200 and killing animals at 800-1000 (NOT UNTIL I PRACTICE FOR SEVERAL YEARS). Thanks for looking.

I live in kalifornia and we have these crazy lead free zones, consequently I have been shooting Barnes TTSX the last few years for hunting both in and out of state. I have found them to be VERY accurate and deadly on all the deer and elk I have shot. You should also give a look at the Berger 215 hybrid.

I also suggest the 208 AMAX - its an awesome bullet. My load with it is 76 grains of H1000 with an overall length of 3.535. Not the hottest of loads but it is super accurate and supersonic to about 1500 yards @ 3500 feet of elevation and minimal humidity (High Desert outside of Vegas). Furthest I have shot with it was 1100 yards on 18" x 18" steel and had no issues making hit after hit; muzzle velocity is around 2950 feet per second. It should be able to humanely put down pretty much any game animal in North America out to 1000 yards.

Is the amax a good all around hunting bullet for elk and deer at long range? I thought it was more of a target bullet. Thanks for your input.