• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

300. Win mag contour and twist!!

Matt_3479

Sergeant
Minuteman
Oct 12, 2009
Going to be building a 300.win mag and I have a few questions I need help answering. This rifle will be used for hunting and I don't want it too be too heavy. I will be going 26" barrel I'm just not sure on contour. Kevin at MCR suggested #4 contour. I had a few others suggest #5. What contour would you suggest for a hunting long range rifle. And what twist!

Re: 300. Win mag contour and twist!!

I just got a #3 and it is a little too light. I have a #6 and it is too heavy. I would go 4 or 5 fluted.

I went with a #11, 1.300 straight taper, it keeps me from hiking too far away from the truck
grin.gif

Ya for sure if you are going to go with a heavier profile like m40/mtu/#7
Get the Heavy Flute if you can afford it . It really cuts off some weight with also having some meat for shooting short string & handling extra heat .
edit:
Also: having a little extra weight on the Tube HELPS with taming the Recoil & keeping the glass on-target after the trigger pull .
but Hard-Core Packing & w/hunting rifle is obviously Go As Light as you can with a rifle & barrel weight .

1 in 10 on the twist for 190's and above, #5 contour. FWIW my only regret in my 300 WM is going with a 26" barrel. My next one will be 22" not including the brake ( a must )....

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: coldboremiracle</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I went with a #11, 1.300 straight taper, it keeps me from hiking too far away from the truck
grin.gif
</div></div>

Do you think I could get away with using a 11.25 twist? I primarily want to use 190 but also try 210 VLDs.

The twist thing has confused me with the .300 win mag as I know so many people that have so many different twists(for the .300 winmag). My friend uses a 6 groove 12 twist with a 30 inch barrel and he is pushing 210 VLDs 2950-3100 FPS with no issues at a 1000yds.

So stick with #4 or #5 contour! Only issue is the twist. I will be firing 190-210 mainly. But i do have 180's for another gun and will probably through these through it for targets fun. The main bullets testing will be 190 vld, 200 accubond and my goal is 210 vld for all purpose!!!

I've got a 300wm with a 11.25 twist 5r barrel, good to go with 190 vld's / smk's not so good with 208 amax

Ive got a #7, 1 in 10 twist. Heavy, but I appreciate rifles that feel 'sturdy.' Its definitely a planning factor when putting together backpack hunts though... I went 22" plus brake, and as was said earlier, a brake is a must.

I have a Bartlien #4 1:10 twist ready to get threaded to my 300WM action. The #4 is fairly beefy and I suspect will be a pleasure to shoot. Flutes could be an option for a #5??

You can use the 11.25, but with the 220's you'd be right on the edge. Go with the 10 twist....you'll be happy

I recommend at least a #5. What are you looking for in an overall weight? What stock are you going to use?

i have a 26in Krieger in heavy varmint on my 300winmag. Its a 1:10 twist and tack drives the 208 AMAX and Berger VLDs. Id stick with the 1:10 twist. Id go for a heavier contour and get it spiral fluted vs a smaller contour if your worried about weight. But thats just me.

a 1/11 twist will work fine for 190gr matchkings or 210 berger vld's, the last 300wm i had GA precision build me was with 1/11 schneider 5p and it shoot great.

Montrose

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: memyselfi</div><div class="ubbcode-body">1 in 10 on the twist for 190's and above, #5 contour. FWIW my only regret in my 300 WM is going with a 26" barrel. My next one will be 22" not including the brake ( a must )....</div></div>

Not sure about going with a 22" barrel on a 300 WM. Kinda defeats the purpose of that extra powder.

L

I went 22" on mine and kinda regret it, I should have gone long, at least 24". Too much unburned powder...

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: jrs66vette</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I've got a 300wm with a 11.25 twist 5r barrel, good to go with 190 vld's / smk's not so good with 208 amax</div></div>

Is that a Remington factory 5R barrel?

I thought I read that their 300WM 5R barrels were 1 in 10 twist.

Lots of companies do 5R rifling, you are correct the factory Remmies are 1 in 10 twist.

Not trying to jack your thread, but I have been thinking about another build lately in 300WM. Is a 20" barrell a ballistically stuipid idea? If not what twist? I have an opportunity to pick up a like new 700p chambered in 300WM. I was thinking about picking it up dropping it in an AX chassis and having GAP do some magic on the action and cut a new barrell.

I'm pretty sure the forend on a LA AX is 3" longer than the SA AX. I have a 20" barrel in my SA AX and I think it might look weird if it had a 3" longer forend. Just a thought...

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: matt_3479</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Going to be building a 300.win mag and I have a few questions I need help answering. This rifle will be used for hunting and I don't want it too be too heavy. </div></div>'Hunting' what, how? And what is 'too heavy'?

Yea, thanks for the measurement thoughts. With that said probably 23" barrel minimum? Guess I will just figure out the barrel length once I pick up the rifle and LA AX chassis.