• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Hunting & Fishing 300. win mag experiences!!

Matt_3479

Sergeant
Minuteman
Oct 12, 2009
Just was hoping to see or hear about your experiences with the 300. win mag at long range shooting and especially at long range hunting! Anything and everything, rifle pics, game pics, your story and experience, and load development. Thanks!!

Re: 300. win mag experiences!!

Just saw your question, these two last years I have been doing some ballistic studies (target and hunting) on the 300wm if you'r still interested.

Take care

I love the .300 WM for deer. I have probably killed 20-25 deer with it paired with BH 190gr BTHP from ranges of 27 yards to 438 yards. I will post some pictures when I get home.

I've had great luck with mine. I shot 180gr at elk out to about 500yd (longest shot so far) and have had no problems.

mine is devastating on deer. no tracking required. always DRT. and on groundhogs....it rains fur and bone...

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: LongRangeSweden</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Just saw your question, these two last years I have been doing some ballistic studies (target and hunting) on the 300wm if you'r still interested.

Take care </div></div>

Yah definitely still interested, love to see what you have found out.

I am shooting a 300 with the bergers and killed a deer last hunting season at 1150 yards so they will do it

I ran a 300 Weatherby with 180 Partitions for hunting and shooting in Alaska only until I discovered 338 (340Wby). Did it do its job, of course but the 338 just seemed to drive deeper with more wound channel at greater distance but in all honesty, most Alaska kills to include sheep and goat are around 225 yards even though we talk about them like we just tipped one over at 500+. I for one am not all that impressed with 30 cals even though they are the American standard.

I had a 7Rem Mag with 175gr that also drove deeper with better wound channel than my 300Wby.

Pics and load data, nadda, this was a decades ago, most of my pics all came from clients. And my last hunt was over 10 years ago up on the flats, and I now resort to 308 fun. Hunting is too much work and too expensive. Be surprised at what a pound of moose cost Vs beef at Carrs but hunting is more about hunting than tipping one over, or should be anyway.

Stories, all boring
wink.gif

Have shot a lot of critters with the 300 win in the day but anymore it is .284 and .338 cal for me.

I used it for a long time then while living in NC I had to switch to a 243 or use my bow the 180 gr took to much meat but did a great job no tracking on those deer.

I killed a trophy black bear in northern canada with my .300WM. The guides told me they always have to track them after the shot was made but he was DRT. I think he moved about 10ft when he rolled. 200gr SMK killed the shit out of a domestic cat last year that was getting at my brother's chicken coop too. Pretty sure I could've fit my fist through the hole it made and his kid's treehouse made a great stand!:)

I have a .300 in a Sendero and a Weatherby Vanguard. I have killed deer to 400 yards with the Sendero and love it for hunting.

My personal opinion is that they kick way to much for me to enjoy for plinking but hunting it is my go to.

Limited experience here. I have a 700 DBM that shoots ok, I would rather not shoot it however due to the recoil. It worked just fine on my bull elk last year, 200 yards with 165 Partition, zipped right on through.
Not knowing any better when I started hunting in AZ that a 300 magnum was necessary to hunt Coues whitetail, a friend at the time pointed out the reasoning of this. Never again do I listen to anyones reasoning when it comes to hunting and cartridge selection. I now use a 6.5X47, 260 or 308 for my deer hunting, these have worked well out to 450+ with one shot kills. My 300 will collect dust until I draw my next elk tag.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: matt_3479</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Just was hoping to see or hear about your experiences with the 300. win mag at long range shooting and especially at long range hunting! Anything and everything, rifle pics, game pics, your story and experience, and load development. Thanks!! </div></div>Well, I shot a .300 Win Mag once, and after three rounds I was done. The rifle belongs to a friend of mine and it is an older one with a solid butt plate. Friggin' hurt.

ive taken countless deer with my 300 with bullets ranging from 165-210gr bullets. my most recent has been 200gr accubonds that i also took a doe at 562 yards with. my 300 went with me to africa as well. taking multiple animals ranging from 150-320 yards. all one shot kills. i plan on taking it with me to the next trip. i mainly shoot my 300... i load a ton and shoot a ton. recoil doesnt bother me at all. i can shoot it all day long.

I like 180gr Interbonds in mine, keeps them sub MOA out to about 450 so far.
longest shot on game was a muley at 250.
DRT.

ive got a muzzle brake on my 300 and i can shoot it all day long, has about the same recoil as my 243. im a big fan of the nosler partition 180 gr. it has the range to shoot as far as your comfortable shooting an animal and the hitting power to kill anything in north america as long as the shot placement is solid. i mostly use it on deer and the occasional hog, both of which normally drop immediately.

I have a Remington 700 in 300 WM and I love it. People who complain about the recoil just need to discover this little thing called a compensator. JP Enterprises makes a great one.

Shot a bull elk last year 250yds with 185 grain Berger VLD hunting bullet @ 300fps. Double lunged ,he ran 40 yds and toppled. I tested berger, nosler accubonds and barnes ttsx's. I shot all three at 100yds through 2' of cardboard. The berger and accubond performed the best with the accubond expanding slightly more than the berger. The barnes went in about 6", slightly expanded and turned sideways the rest of the way through. I get great accuracy out of the accubonds and bergers.

Last post should be 3000 fps, not 300fps !

I shoot 165 grain Nosler Ballistic Tips smokin fast out of mine. Have killed a number of decent animals with it including a 6 point bull elk I shot at about 300 yards and a 380 class bull elk my dad shot at about 475 yards. Ballistics of this combo are surprisingly good for a hunting combo.