• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

300. win mag experiences!!

Matt_3479

Sergeant
Minuteman
Oct 12, 2009
Just was hoping to see or hear about your experiences with the 300. win mag at long range shooting and especially at long range hunting! Anything and everything, rifle pics, game pics, your story and experience, and load development. Thanks!!

Re: 300. win mag experiences!!

It's loud and kicks like a mule but it put down a charging boar nicely. 200 grain Woodleigh solids are a real showstopper for large game but the ballistics suck. On the other side of the coin there are guys on here banging steel silhouettes at 1800 yards with 208gr A-Max's. A very versatile round depending on how you load them.

i just started shooting 300win and i love it. in a heavy rifle recoil isn't bad. im pushing 208amaxs at 2930 and the performance is amazing i shot it out to 1250yds a couple weeks ago. im very impressed with the ballistics and the lack of wind drift...

A 180-gn bullet works best and is typically used in the 300wm. Haven't used anything else in that cartridge for years. 76gn RL22 works fine with the BOSS adjusted to the standard recommended setting for that setup.

It's a good all-round cartridge for our whitetails, black bear, etc, but a bit light at distance for larger animals. Best to have a good .338 like a 340Wby or 338LM using 250 gn Partitions for longer shots at big stuff. Would not go to a hotter cartridge than that though with a .308 or .338 bullet. Took my first moose with the 300wm but the bullet just broke the upper foreleg and lodged into a rib. Moose was not impressed, and ended up being a lot of work.

The 300wm has a sharp bite to it, so you should tame it down with some sort of brake and get it with a heavy barrel and stock. Mine has a really sweet disposition now and I can hit the gong all day long at 300 yards with 2 or 3-inch groups (with sufficient cooling periods of course).

The reason I'm asking is because I'm looking to set up my first long range hunting/shooting rig. Looking for 300. Win mag, 210 vld's. I already shoot a 300. Wsm in a light weight browning so I'm not worried about recoil in a 10-13lbs rifle

Like this?

gunla.jpg

My 300winmag is on a Bat Action, Krieger barrel, Badger DBM, Jewell trigger, and McMillan A3-5 stock.

A 300winmag has plenty of power, even at good distances depending on your load development. I wouldnt think twice about shooting a moose at 600yds or farther.

Ive shot the 208g Amax and the 210g Berger VLDs with outstanding results. 100yd groups have been right around 1/4 MOA. My favorite powders are H4831SC and Reloader 22. 71.5g and 71g respectively. MV is 2983fps. I use my winmag to hunt deer, elk, bear, etc... Every animal I have shot has dropped in its tracks. No tracking involved. I have a custom muzzle brake on mine, made by my gunsmith. But it very similiar to the VIAS. Recoil is not bad at all. My gun is heavy, so I wouldnt want to shoot it off hand unless I really had to.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: matt_3479</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The reason I'm asking is because I'm looking to set up my first long range hunting/shooting rig. Looking for 300. Win mag, 210 vld's. I already shoot a 300. Wsm in a light weight browning so I'm not worried about recoil in a 10-13lbs rifle </div></div>

Just wondering about your reason to switch from 300 WSM to 300 WM? From what I read they were supposedly ballistically equivalent. I am considering which route I would go myself (300 WSM vs WM), therefore I am interested in your thoughts (and anyone else!)

yeah. The purpose of the 300wsm is so that you can squeeze 300winmag performance out of a short action.

When the 300WSM first came out they were comparing it to a 300WM with different bullets in them. The WM would get some POS with a BC of a ball and the WSM would get something much better. When they are both shooting the same bullet the WM should always be able to push it faster due to more case volume.

I am shooting a 300WM with HBN coated 220gr SMK out of a 27inch Lilja three groove barrel with a muzzle velocity just above 3,000fps.