• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

300 win mag for $1500?

Tsarbomba

Private
Minuteman
Aug 31, 2014
What are my options for a factory 300 win mag? Budget around 1500. Looking for a lightweight hunter for the mountains. Originally was thinking CA mesa or ridgeline. But after reading old post on CA barrels, I think ill look elsewhere. Also no wood stocks.

X-bolts are really good, and I regret selling mine.

Not cheap rifle, but that's for a reason. Their current models are REALLY tempting.

Tikka is a good lightweight choice on a budget. They're better off with lighter bullets due to the twist and mag length.

Euro Optic sells the Remington barreled actions with your choice of chassis for a great price... I had a Rem 700 24 inch with a chassis and it was consistent 3/4 MOA with my hand loads, and shot to 1 mile.

Reactions: TACC
I second the Tikka T3x Lite.

It will go bang.
It will be accurate.
You wont need to replace the trigger.
You wont need to swap the stock.

Spend the extra cabbage on upgraded glass and rings.

Reactions: Dirty D and Friar
I just got a Bergara HMR 300 Win Mag and love it. Trigger is good for a hunting rig breaks right at 3 lbs. Fit and finish is excellent. Probably heavier than you are looking for. But i wanted a rifle i could shoot and practice with. I shot some factory ammo last week with it, without a muzzle break and it has some recoil, manageable but not fun to shoot alot. Once i get the brake i ordered it should be better. First 10 round ladder test tomorrow. I was shooting sub MOA with 180 Hornady SST. Running H1000 and Nosler AB 180’s should be able to find a node and tighten those groups.

Bergaras are nice, I know the remmy 5r comes in winmag and those rifles tend to be better then their average offerings.

I second the Tikka T3x Lite.

It will go bang.
It will be accurate.
You wont need to replace the trigger.
You wont need to swap the stock.

Spend the extra cabbage on upgraded glass and rings.

I have this one too. Smooth action and a great trigger. I did add a Limbsaver recoil pad. Getting sub MOA with sako factory hammerheads.
image.jpeg

Tikka T3x SL topped with Leupold VXi3 2.5-8x. Nuggets saved for hunting trip.

As retail / FFL selling firearms for 17 years, never had a single tikka returned for any warranty issue, I cant say that about any other firearm to included those mentioned here. The only return compliant I had was recoil.

good luck

Thread crossover here, but EuroOptic is running a deal on Mauser M18 rifles. Decent sale price on the rifle, and you get a 50% off coupon for Minox optics. No experience with the rifle, but on paper the specs look pretty good for a factory rifle and you get a very nice optic for an excellent price.

.300WM is a 24.4” barrel, 6.6lbs, takes Remington LA bases, CHF barre, 60° Bolt lift, 3-position safety.

+1 for buying a Tikka. Everyone I own is a hammer and you'll save some $$ for glass, ammo or a stock.

The only downside to the Tikka suggestions is action length. It won’t feed 3.6” OAL unless the feed ramps are milled for it. Last time I talked to a smith about this, they wouldn’t touch it, maybe times are different now. If you don’t care about that, Tikka’s are awesome. That said, I shot a big match in June with targets out to 2100 yards, squaded with some cats rocking Christensen Arms 300 win mags. Only alterations were McMillan stocks piller bedded, they worked really well. I get it’s only a sample size of 3, but with CA’s MOA guarantee, if it doesn’t shoot, send that shit back till it does.

Reactions: Wags
I have an X-Bolt and can fully recommend one, but I've heard nothing but good things about Tikka's also, I'm sure either would serve you well.

Tikka is a good lightweight choice on a budget. They're better off with lighter bullets due to the twist and mag length.
Agree with this. They are really great rifles though. For $1500 you could also get close to a Sako Finnlight, which i think is gorgeous, but I have to say that recoil would not be fun in 300WM.

This is easy, and the other posters are leading down the correct path with the comments about "Tikka and short box mag length,.

So here is the solution:

Buy a T3 .300 and send it to CDI to have them cut the stock for new bottom metal that accepts AI magazines. Or you can have a local smith do it.

Another option is to add an aftermarket stock like the McMillan Sako Hunter pattern I have one on my .300 WM T3. While not 100% necessary, since the factory stocks are pretty darn good, they make sense if you are only intending on owning a couple hunting rifles and know exactly what you want and need.

Build your own. Get a donor action for cheap, send it off to PacNor they will true the actiona and rebarrel.
Action$400-500
Barrel 300
Intstall 300
Stock: you pick
You get a nice set up that way how you want it. I just did it in 7mm-08 just waiting to take it to the range.

Xbolt is a good option I have a 2018 limited run in 6.5x55 sweede it's a laser beam.

If you want an extremely light weight hunting rifle look at the Kimber mountain ascent they weight 4lb 13oz, I have one in 280 Ackley improved. Almost a ballistic twin of 7rem mag but in a standard long action and you can get good brass for it. mine's a hair under a 3/4 moa rifle. They come in just about any caliber from 243 up to 300wm and a few wsm's. Plus they are controlled round feed with 3 position safety if that matters to you. If you shop around they can be had under 1500.

The new fn built controlled round feed m70's are probably the slickest off the shelf bolt guns I have ever handled. My new production supergrade 30-06 is as smooth as my defiant deviant.