• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Range Report .300 win mag or 7mm rem mag

Some_guy

Private
Minuteman
Jul 30, 2010
FL
The barrel on my savage 110, 7mm rem mag, factory contour, is shot out and since i have to replace it i'm thinking of switching to an er shaw, 24" stainless, 300 winmag in a 3.5 contour. I have a SFWA 10x mil dot optic.

I am not a sniper or DM. It is a hunting rifle. I will be reloading the ammo. The needs i have are the ability to take game up to elk out to 400 yds wide open and also shoot through underbrush at 50-150 yds. (AL and SD)

The 7mm has been good but people that know more than me have said a .300 winmag is a more inherently accurate cartridge that barely deflects with an accidental twig rub. just want a confirm before i spend the money. Is this true or stick with the 7mm?

Re: .300 win mag or 7mm rem mag

I am a 300 shooter but I don’t think it is any more accurate than the 7mm I think the BC is better on the 7mm bullets(don’t quote me on that). The 300 might possibly be better as far as not being deflected, depends on bullet weight. If you shoot a 180 grain 7mm it is going to deflect the same as a 180 grain 30 cal. I think the difference is personal preference. If you are already reloading for the 7mm keep it, if you just want a change go 300.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Some_guy</div><div class="ubbcode-body">

The 7mm has been good but people that know more than me have said a .300 winmag is a more inherently accurate cartridge that barely deflects with an accidental twig rub. just want a confirm before i spend the money. Is this true or stick with the 7mm? </div></div>

Sounds like a lot of gunshop BS to me. They are both fantastic rounds for hunting as well as long range shooting. If your feeling like making a change then go for it. Unless your headed up this way for coastal brownies the 7mm is going tom do everything you said you wanted with less fuss and bother as well as being a little cheaper to feed. If you decide to go the 300 route, I made the switch to the 7mm from the 300 a couple years ago and have a bunch of 300wm reloading supplies laying around here doing nothing that I'd be willing to part with. (brass and dies mostly) Either one is going to do what your asking of it if loaded appropriately.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Some_guy</div><div class="ubbcode-body">that barely deflects with an accidental twig rub</div></div>

We shoot LR on an old lake that is now mostly meadow and a little swamp. There is one lone pine tree in the middle and if you're not really careful where you place the gong, it's in your way because there are trees everywhere where we go prone, so you can't really reposition.

Anyway, we set up a few weeks ago and wouldn't you know it,we got the gong almost perfectly in line with that tree. Just barely to one side. Yeah, I know... we should drive a stake.

We're shooting 208 Amaxs out of 300WM's, and my partner thinks they'll just cut right through those little tiny branches on the edge of that tree, mostly because he doesn't want to go back out there and reposition it.

First shot, trace is just to the left of the tree and catches the left side of the gong. Second shot... I see the trace head right for a little branch, the branches moves a little, then NOTHING. I have NO idea where that bullet went. It landed nowhere in my field of view. Third shot, same deal.

When we were shooting at Augustis ranch a few weeks back, we were instructed to ensure an adequate "loophole" in front of the rifle, because a blade of grass could cause a miss at 1000+ yds.

I hear these stories about this caliber or that caliber being a "brush" round. I'm guessing that about 20mm they start to get effective for that, but most of the rifles we hunt with... a shot through the branches is a crap shoot.

John

I'm going to get a 7mm then buy a .300 to switch out and play with later. Forgot 110 barrels switch out that easy. Thanks for the input.