• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

300 win mag primers

300_win_guy

Private
Minuteman
May 3, 2009
As you all know primers are worth there weight in gold these days. The last local gunshow yielded a box of what i thought was federal 215 primers, when i got home i noticed that they were in fact federal 210. is there a noticable difference in the two? can i use them? thanx in advance

Re: 300 win mag primers

I have had some experience reloading for the 300 Win Mag. I usually loaded with Fed 215, as most manuals suggest. But I believe that you can use the 210 with success. In theory 210 should be more accurate because of less explosive ignition. Remember the story behind the Fed 215 primer is that it was originally made for the 378 Weatherby Magnum. The story goes that Charlie Horn, the founder of Federal Cartridge Company, told Roy Weatherby that he would make him this primer for the sole purpose of igniting the heavy doses of powder that the 378, land later 460 and 416 Wby Mags required.

I have used WLR primers and Fed 210 for 300 win mag. The WLR is a much better choice between the two. Of course, the gold standard is the Large magnum rifle primers of some kind. Obviously, you need to work up your load again to be safe.

Yes, they will work. However, I would not use a slower buring powder (H1000, Retumbo, R25, etc) in colder weather with them. I would also keep near or at max loads with it.

300 Win Man,

I sent you a PM , I have 480 winchester large rifle magnum primers that I have no use for ( 300 wsm like WLR primers ) If you are willing to pay shipping and hazmat they're yours

Mike

Especially should you use WLR or 215 Fed or CCI LR Mag...if you are hunting in the cold...those big granules are harder to ignite as the temperature drops. JMHO

I used Fed 210 primers in my 300 Win Mag and Reloader 25 for years without a single problem. The coldest weather I've used them in was around 20 degrees.