• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

300 win mag problems

SilentBound84

Private
Minuteman
May 8, 2014
I've got a Remington 700 sendero SFll in 300 win mag,fluted 26"bbl, in an H.S. Precision stock. Bought the gun to shoot elk and long range target (600+). I am having problems developing a hand load for the rifle. I do not have anyone locally that can help me out. Has anyone got this gun to group? Tried 168 sierra to 180s, tried different powders.

For my 300 WM hunting rifle I shoot 185 Berger VLD's behind IMR 4350 (70.0 gr.). The rifle has a 1:12 twist and that is about the heaviest VLD that it will stabilize. This rifle has shot out to 1000 yards without issue and plan on developing a load for it using H4350 since it is less temperature sensitive. For my TAC 300 with a 1:11 twist shooting Berger 210 LRBT with 75.0 gr. of H1000.

With that nice 1-10 twist, go with the heavies and don't look back.

190's are the lightest I'll use (only use those because Federal and Black Hills Match loads have 190SMKs), mostly shoot heavier stuff (208, 210, 220, 230).

I have same rifle in 300 win mag. Mine shoots well with 180gr Interbonds/SST's and imr4831.

Also shot very well with berger 185gr hybrids and same powder.

I played with 210smk's and 208 amax and H1000. Had inconsistent results but I think if I had continued to tweak the loads it would've been good. But due to limited time these days and not feeling like burning a barrel I gave up and will save it for the next barrel.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Have you tried seating the bullet at different depths? I had a friend who did this and it helped him. Where are you located?

If you are wanting to try the 185s, try some H1000. About 10 thousands off the lands or so. Either way, H1000 is tits for the 300wm with most of the heavier bullets.

Good to know. I have the same rifle but haven't shot it yet. It's currently with Russel at scout supply :D I plan on trying 208's with hybride 100v.

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk

A friend of mine has a Rem 5R in 300 WM and uses a load of Retumbo behind a Berger 210 gr VLD Hunting bullet.

Last edited:
Rem 700 Police in A 3 stock with Seekins .338 CIP length bottom metal so I can run long 210 berger hunting or A Max etc. 3.62 OAL 76.6 grn H 1000, WIN brass, Federal 215 primer,2760 FPS and can go faster for sure. shooting 3 shots touching off a bag at 100yd right now I expect it to get better less than 40 rounds on it now. The CIP mag will allow loading longer but the factory action will not go much longer maybe 3.7 or so.

Polished factory 40X trigger that is came with the police guns still get the old trigger or at least mine did, over sized bolt knob, 30 minute base, Little Jimmy brake. it shoots great and with the brake it is like a .243 with out one.

Very happy so far.

My Experience with that rifle was that it needed about sixty rounds down the tube to become sub moa, so make sure you have shot it some before you start to worry about it. I do not have data on the hand loads handy, but my brother developed a load that shot well for several of us who had the same gun. If you would like me to get the specifics of the load from him let me know by PM and I will track it down.

If you want a factory load that works well for a me up to a thousand yards, try the Federal Gold metal 190 gr /Sierra Matchking bullet.

Not the same rifle but go 190+ in bullet weights. Powders to try are RE19 and 22, any of the 4831's( especially H4831sc) or H1000. Try five to ten thousands off the lands. Might not work if you are trying to feed from the magazine, but should get you good accuracy.

One thing I have noticed between the three 300s I own, the hotter they are loaded, the better they shoot. With all three of mine I will get a noticeable accuracy drop-off with all loads about a half grain low of any pressure signs which is right at max load for all of the above mentioned powders.

Hope this helps somewhat and best of luck.

For what your doing the 210 VLD with about 76 grains of H1000 would be great EXCEPT given you most likely have a long throat, your bullets will be seated out so long that you'll have to single feed making follow up shots harder. I would look at the 185 Classic Hunter. At 3,000 fps at the muzzle (from sea level) you'll still have about 1350 ft/lb's of energy at 800 yards. Also given their design you can jump them and still have great accuracy. But, it's always up to the individual , and I admit I would be running the 210's. I've shot several deer past 500 yards with them and it sounded like a boat paddle whacking them when the bullet hit. All were DRT. It is truly a devastating bullet