• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

300 Win Mag Project

pirate6134

Private
Minuteman
Jan 14, 2014
300 Win Mag Project

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I wanted to share a few pictures of my recent project. It was built on a Sako 338 win mag receiver.

We sent the receiver to Douglas and had a 24 inch 1/10 premium barrel installed.We then sent the barreled receiver to Macmillan and had the stock added.

It shoots very well and seems to like the 178 gr Hornady A-max load. I will post pictures of the targets after the next range session.

I am sure if I handloaded I could make it a tack driver but for a hunting rifle it is already fairly accurate when I do my part.

Al

Attachments

• photo 1.JPG
    photo 1.JPG
    35.1 KB · Views: 16
  • photo 2.JPG
    photo 2.JPG
    33.6 KB · Views: 18
Can anyone recommend different factory loads for my rifle?

Thank You

Al

Since you have a 300wm why not take advantage of the heavier bullets. Hell i use 208amax for my 308 :) You really should use the 208amax if you can get your hands on it. It is like a marriage in heaven for the 300wm. You can easily get it moving at 2950ft/sec and has so much better wind bucking ability than the 178 and a lot more energy down range.

Corbon loads 190 smk. I like it for a factory load. I also shoot 220 smk and 208 amax that are hand loaded. The corbon has gotten pretty expensive. Black hills also has a nice 190 smk that I like.

Range report

The attached target is from a recent trip to the range using the 178 gr AMax load.

Put 3 rounds into 1 1/8 inch at 200 yards.

I would like to try the heavier factory loads to see if the rifle likes those.

Al

Attachments

• 200 yds 178 gr AMax.jpg
    200 yds 178 gr AMax.jpg
    93.7 KB · Views: 12
The attached target is from a recent trip to the range using the 178 gr AMax load.

Put 3 rounds into 1 1/8 inch at 200 yards.

I would like to try the heavier factory loads to see if the rifle likes those.

Al
Contact Josh over at Copper Creek Cartridge Company, he'll load you what ever you want to try out. +1 for the 208 gr Amax.

Copper Creek Cartridge Co.