• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

.300 Win Mag Sticking Brass issue

TxShooter63

Sergeant
Banned !
Sep 25, 2007
Dallas/Fort Worth
I do allot of reloading for .308, .300WM, and .338LM. I never have any issues with sticking cases other than with the .300WM. These cases have been fired 1-2 times since new and neck sized only. The 2nd-3rd loading I tried to full length resize and the brass is already to stiff and sticks to the point that the die is destroyed trying to remove it. I am using Hornady One Shot lube which works well with other calibers. I have had this problem with several different brass mfg. so it isn't specific to one company.
Today I even went so far as to build a tool that would thread into the top of the die and push the brass out the bottom. Instead it stripped the threads out of the die! Any observations or suggestions would be appreciated.

Re: .300 Win Mag Sticking Brass issue

Imperial wax or Forster die lube.

Only time I've ever had issues is when I used spray lube.

Thanks, that is at least something to try. I can't believe the brass is too work hardened after 1-2 firings. Anyone else have any suggestions, please add them.

hose'em dn with one shot and bump with fl bushing die.

I had a 300 win mag with the same issue but to a much lesser degree. The problem, chamber in gun very big, die interior very small. First, before you destroy too many more dies, try sizing a bit at a time, remove, relube, and resize some more. Try with the die turned out 4 - 5 turns at first and turn in the die 1/2 to 1 turn each successive resize. Measure the case in several places after each subsequent resize.

I think your problem is different or more severe, but you can start with resizing in steps.

I reworked my die, honed out the body and re-polished it. Hillbilly fix with hand tools, valve grind compound, emery cloth, drill, coat hanger, wooden stick, fired cases with the neck removed, like I said hillbilly. Not that I'm saying there's anything wrong with being a hillbilly, just saying that it wasn't the proper way of doing things. I believe RCBS will make you a custom set of dies, just send them some fired cases. (and money of course)

You may need a mag belt resizer, heard about them, never owned or used or needed one. I have never experienced a problem with web expansion when loading mags. I'm not saying it isn't a real problem, just that I never experienced it. It has been my experience that most commercial magnum rifles are chambered large and headspace on the shoulder. Magnum brass is usually small with a belt barely able to hold headspace. Magnum dies on the other hand seem to be manufactured using dimensions from another planet. The best thing to happen to magnums was removing the belt for the SAM WSM etc.

http://www.larrywillis.com/300winmag.html

How politically correct does one have to be on this site? Is it OK to say hillbilly.

I had one case stick with the .300wm using the one shot and I think I wasn't using enough or getting enough of it in the neck. You can save your die pulling it by using a 1/4-20 tap through the primer hole and then plenty of washer and if memory serves a 9/16 socket will go over the case but hit the die and you can just screw the 1/4-2o bolt in to the case, thus pulling it safely from your die. It will turn plenty hard, but should do the trick I did this with one that simply woudln't have come out any other way.

i too had a couple of my 300 mag cases stick when i was using the hornady spray, i switched to dillon case lube and havent had another stick. im using rcbs sizing dies for my lr rifle and hornady dies for my hunting rifle and both have stuck various stamp cases untill i switched lubes. i think it was the hornady lube not evenly coating the case

I would be willing to bet that imperial sizing wax applied correctly will solve your problem.

Only times I have stuck a case were using spray or just being stupid and not lubing before sizing the case.

madd0c