• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

.300 Win Mag Suppressors

wyatthudson

Private
Minuteman
Apr 27, 2021
New Hampshire
Looking into getting a suppressor for my Savage 110 Elite Vanguard in .300wm. I’m also curious what ya’lls experiences have been with the wait times after filing your tax stamp.
Thanks,
Wyatt

General opinion here would be Thunderbeast Ultra 7 or Ultra 9, since I was looking for a bit more versatility in mounting options I went with the Dead Air Nomad-L and Nomad-TI. The L is definitely quieter than the Nomad-Ti but it’s also quite a bit heavier so if you are looking for a range can I’d choose the L or a hunting can I’d choose the TI.

As for lead time I was about 5.5 months for mine starting in May and October of last year.

Reactions: Dougger57
i use my TBAC 30BA, which has been re-cored and updated to be the current Ultra 9, is my do-all can. 308, 260, and 300 winchester's magnimumum. works amazingly all the time.

which reminds me, im not sure what the "OEM" weight was on that bad boy but it may be time to send that guy back to TBAC for a cleaning and re-baseline on the weight.

I chose to go with PTP Tactical Master Chief. It may not be as light as some of the others but the flexibility, durability and return to zero when mounted sold me. The fact it could be mounted under a handguard if desired because there were no locking levers that had to be reached. You have to decide what it is that you want in your suppressor choice.

Dead Air Nomad-LT is the king of the castle. 👍🏼

TBAC makes good stuff, but their proprietary threads really screw up their sales, IMO. The Nomad cans use a "standard" suppressor thread of 1.375x24 which allows you to use many different brands and types of muzzle devices to attach your suppressor.

Last edited:
Second the rugged surge, otherwise TBAC ultra series.

I have TBAC Ultra 7 in .223 and TBAC Ultra 9 in 30 cal. I have friends with other suppressors of several brands. Also, I do have a Gemtech for the 22LR stuff. I cannot recommend the TBAC suppressors any higher.
I bought both of these Ultra's on the same day. They were not in stock, of course, but by a stroke of luck, they became available in about 2 weeks. Then the wait for the blessing of the ATF....14 MONTHS!!!! The Gemtech was about 2 months, start to finish.
IMHO, if you have done all the paperwork for one successfully, you should be able to pretty much just walk in and get what you want.
Scratch that...the thing is NOT a firearm in any sense of the word....we should all be able to walk in to Walmart and select one off the shelf.
Well worth the wait.

Reactions: FuhQ
CGS Hyperion (9.5" long) or Hyperion K (6.3" long)
or
TBAC ultra 9 or 7

those are arguably the best suppressors on the market for a precision bolt action. throw gassers in there and this stuff starts getting complicated QUICK with all the variables and trade offs.

I dont know why people are suggesting the Rugged Surge... i LOVE my Rugged Micro30 but if we have the extremely narrow focus of wanting a suppressor for a precision bolt gun then inch/inch the CGS & TBAC offerings are going to stomp the surge. not a bash against rugged like i said i love their suppressors and have one myself its just not designed with the narrow focus of being the ultimate precision bolt gun suppressor for a given length/weight like the CGS hyperions/TBAC ultras... but thats getting into those trade offs and variables i mentioned above.

Reactions: paco ramirez
CGS Hyperion (9.5" long) or Hyperion K (6.3" long)
or
TBAC ultra 9 or 7

those are arguably the best suppressors on the market for a precision bolt action. throw gassers in there and this stuff starts getting complicated QUICK with all the variables and trade offs.

I dont know why people are suggesting the Rugged Surge... i LOVE my Rugged Micro30 but if we have the extremely narrow focus of wanting a suppressor for a precision bolt gun then inch/inch the CGS & TBAC offerings are going to stomp the surge. not a bash against rugged like i said i love their suppressors and have one myself its just not designed with the narrow focus of being the ultimate precision bolt gun suppressor for a given length/weight like the CGS hyperions/TBAC ultras... but thats getting into those trade offs and variables i mentioned above.
What about the CGS and TBAC stomp the surge?

No experience with CGS but I run both TBAC and Rugged and definitely do not agree that the TBAC stomps the surge other than in the weight category. Both of them have zero effect on the precision of the rifle they are mounted on. They both have things going for them depending on what you are looking for. The TBAC weighs a fair amount less and is just slightly quieter per the length. The Rugged can be run at 7.5 or 9 inches, has secondary retention and no barrel length restrictions if that matters to you.

They are both fantastic cans for precision rifles, most cases I prefer the TBAC and plan to buy an ultra 7 gen 2 when I can find one in stock. With that being said if I could only keep one it would be the rugged for its versatility.

What about the CGS and TBAC stomp the surge?

No experience with CGS but I run both TBAC and Rugged and definitely do not agree that the TBAC stomps the surge other than in the weight category. Both of them have zero effect on the precision of the rifle they are mounted on. They both have things going for them depending on what you are looking for. The TBAC weighs a fair amount less and is just slightly quieter per the length. The Rugged can be run at 7.5 or 9 inches, has secondary retention and no barrel length restrictions if that matters to you.

They are both fantastic cans for precision rifles, most cases I prefer the TBAC and plan to buy an ultra 7 gen 2 when I can find one in stock. With that being said if I could only keep one it would be the rugged for its versatility.
Sorry I should have clarified.

The Surge doesn't do as well as the TBAC and Hyperions in Pewscience testing in regards to sound suppression. At least not on bolt guns. If I remember correctly its about a 20% difference between the surge and the Hyperion/TBAC 9 in regards to their pewscience suppression rating.

I agree 100% the Surge is more versatile and my Micro30 has been 100% repeatable with POI shift, does not affect accuracy at all and i have no doubt the surge is the same its just heavier/not as quiet as the hyperion or TBAC which if you are buying a suppressor for a dedicated purpose then the versatility means a lot less and IMO you would be better served buying the best suppressor for that VERY narrow and specific role.

Versatility, durability is 100% Ruggeds game and they kill it in that arena. I seriously cannot overstate how much I love my Micro30. But your not going to need that durability on a bolt gun and unless there is more that the OP would like to do with the can that they haven't told us about would be better served sacrificing some versatility for something geared specifically for the intended purpose.

Reactions: Jackjam and Luke G
Sorry I should have clarified.

The Surge doesn't do as well as the TBAC and Hyperions in Pewscience testing in regards to sound suppression. At least not on bolt guns. If I remember correctly its about a 20% difference between the surge and the Hyperion/TBAC 9 in regards to their pewscience suppression rating.

I agree 100% the Surge is more versatile and my Micro30 has been 100% repeatable with POI shift, does not affect accuracy at all and i have no doubt the surge is the same its just heavier/not as quiet as the hyperion or TBAC which if you are buying a suppressor for a dedicated purpose then the versatility means a lot less and IMO you would be better served buying the best suppressor for that VERY narrow and specific role.

Versatility, durability is 100% Ruggeds game and they kill it in that arena. I seriously cannot overstate how much I love my Micro30. But your not going to need that durability on a bolt gun and unless there is more that the OP would like to do with the can that they haven't told us about would be better served sacrificing some versatility for something geared specifically for the intended purpose.
Fair enough, the ultra 9 I use seems a bit quieter that the rugged in its 9 inch configuration. Pewscience rates it as 1.2 decibel quieter so that matches up with what I have noticed. A little hard to compare the CGS though since it’s a full length 1.75 diameter suppressor unlike the other two. How are you liking the CGS cans?

I put an Elite Iron Sierra 338 on my 338 RPR. Wouldn't have to wear hearing protection if I didn't normally just do it.

Fair enough, the ultra 9 I use seems a bit quieter that the rugged in its 9 inch configuration. Pewscience rates it as 1.2 decibel quieter so that matches up with what I have noticed. A little hard to compare the CGS though since it’s a full length 1.75 diameter suppressor unlike the other two. How are you liking the CGS cans?

i only have the Helios QD right now which is their 5.56 can but bored out to .36" for reduced blowback so it works with my 6.5creed bolt gun too.. i was able to shoot while it was in jail recently and it is a performer. Defenitly the best sounding can I have heard on a semi and does very nicely on the bolt gun too. Pewscience rates the helios QD a few points higher than the surge in long configuration despite it being a few inches shorter.

It is a little over 6.5" long but starts getting longer if you add QD systems especially if you use one that needs the QD adapter because of that i think of it as my SBR can that can go on bolt guns so I can just direct thread it or run something short like the YHM kurtz.

The Micro30 I love for 14"+ barreled semis.

And I plan on getting the Hyperion as a dedicated bolt gun suppressor in the next year or two. Have not heard it yet but with how well the Helios does i have no doubts about it.

Fwiw I have the surge and radiant and after researching the ultra 9 I’m going to get one😆. Learn something new every day

Reactions: Luke G
IMHO, if you have done all the paperwork for one successfully, you should be able to pretty much just walk in and get what you want.
Scratch that...the thing is NOT a firearm in any sense of the word....we should all be able to walk in to Walmart and select one off the shelf.
Well in Florida things are different.

A gun silencer falls under the definition of a “firearm”. Under Florida Statute Chapter 790 Section 790.001, the definition of a firearm is "any weapon (including a starter gun) which will, is designed to, or may readily be converted to expel a projectile by the action of an explosive; the frame or receiver of any such weapon; any firearm muffler or firearm silencer; any destructive device; or any machine gun...”

As such, A SILENCER acting AS A ZIP GUN WOULD ABLE TO "EXPEL (QUIETLY ?) A PROJECTILE BY THE ACTION OF AN EXPLOSIVE"......

POSSESSION AND LAWFUL PURPOSES OF FIREARMS AND GUN SILENCERS
In Florida, it is lawful to own or possess and use a firearm, including a gun silencer. Under section 790.25 you may use a gun silencer with your weapon for the purpose of target practice and marksmanship on target practice ranges or other lawful places, such as your own property depending on your county and the acreage of your land; and for lawful hunting. It is also lawful to use a firearm and silencer in the defense of your home and your property.

While it is legal in Florida to own a gun silencer and a hand gun for target practice at practice ranges and legal hunting, the law does not allow a person to conceal and carry on their person a handgun with a silencer. Although in Florida it is legal to carry a concealed weapon if you have a license, a person may not carry a concealed weapon with a silencer.

By definition a concealed firearm only includes “a handgun, electronic weapon or device, tear gas gun, knife, or billie…” Silencers are NOT included within this definition!

THIS IS CIRCULAR REASONING AS BOTH A SILENCER AND A HANDGUN ARE "FIREARMS" DEFINED BY LAW, SO ONE SHOULD BE ABLE TO CARRY CONCEALED & SILENCED.

Ergo - without a concealed carry permit, it's illegal to carry and conceal just a suppressor as it its a "firearm" by legal definition!

I would get a .338 suppressor, more internal volume, quieter and who knows ya might get a .338 someday?

In my Arsenal I have the Ultra 9, a Rugged Surge and the Nomad Ti. My preference on my .300 WM is the Nomad followed by the Surge. The Nomad is my favorite overall can.

Last edited:
Reactions: K80/6.5 and FuhQ
Well in Florida things are different.

A gun silencer falls under the definition of a “firearm”. Under Florida Statute Chapter 790 Section 790.001, the definition of a firearm is "any weapon (including a starter gun) which will, is designed to, or may readily be converted to expel a projectile by the action of an explosive; the frame or receiver of any such weapon; any firearm muffler or firearm silencer; any destructive device; or any machine gun...”

As such, A SILENCER acting AS A ZIP GUN WOULD ABLE TO "EXPEL (QUIETLY ?) A PROJECTILE BY THE ACTION OF AN EXPLOSIVE"......

POSSESSION AND LAWFUL PURPOSES OF FIREARMS AND GUN SILENCERS
In Florida, it is lawful to own or possess and use a firearm, including a gun silencer. Under section 790.25 you may use a gun silencer with your weapon for the purpose of target practice and marksmanship on target practice ranges or other lawful places, such as your own property depending on your county and the acreage of your land; and for lawful hunting. It is also lawful to use a firearm and silencer in the defense of your home and your property.

While it is legal in Florida to own a gun silencer and a hand gun for target practice at practice ranges and legal hunting, the law does not allow a person to conceal and carry on their person a handgun with a silencer. Although in Florida it is legal to carry a concealed weapon if you have a license, a person may not carry a concealed weapon with a silencer.

By definition a concealed firearm only includes “a handgun, electronic weapon or device, tear gas gun, knife, or billie…” Silencers are NOT included within this definition!

THIS IS CIRCULAR REASONING AS BOTH A SILENCER AND A HANDGUN ARE "FIREARMS" DEFINED BY LAW, SO ONE SHOULD BE ABLE TO CARRY CONCEALED & SILENCED.

Ergo - without a concealed carry permit, it's illegal to carry and conceal just a suppressor as it its a "firearm" by legal definition!
I think you missed the point there.
Regardless of what FL law states or defines, the suppressor is unable to chamber and fire any round at all. Having it be an NFA item is retarded, as is the idiotic FL law that defines one as a firearm and yet not lawfully concealable.
More to the point, having met all requirements to legally possess one NFA item, one should not be required to submit all that crap again and again and again.

Reactions: FuhQ
My first .30 suppressor was an Ops Inc 3rd Model. I was so impressed with my 12th Model 5.56 that I went with Ops Inc again (2011). The 3rd Model is the same can originally used on the Remington M24A2 offered to Army by Remington Defense. It had been used by some folks with good success on different platforms (Bolt rifles in 308 and 300wm, M60E3s and HK21s). I chose the PSS model that was direct-thread, so no brake required. Phil had designed this mounting with 11/16-24 threads instead of 5/8-24, so my 300wm has those threads. It also seats on a 20deg shoulder 3.9" back from the threads (4.5" from muzzle), so you have to get your barrel profiled accordingly. It's a 12" long, with "only" 7.5" past the muzzle, and heavy (31ozs) pig that makes my 300wm pushing 208s at 2950fps sound like a 22mag and recoil like a braked 308. When I had a GAP10 G2 in 260 and a 25" barreled R700 in 260, both profiled for the can, I thought I was shooting a 22. It sounded pretty much like my MK12 but the bullet crack was louder. It gives a healthy (1-1.2mil, depending on which barrel profile I had it on) POI shift, but it is repeatable as my Ultra7, and yes, perceivably quieter. The newer AE30 is now 5/8-24 threads but still uses a shoulder, now 2.5" back from the muzzle and is 10.5" long and 25.5ozs, so shorter, lighter and still only 8" sticking out past the muzzle. Pretty sure Ron said this can loses nothing to the 3rd Model on sound signature.

My Ultra 7, though, is the CB version with the Area 419 Hellfire adapter. I have used it on my 300wm and it has performed quite well with great accuracy and very repeatable POI shift (.3 mil, IIRC). I would be interested in comparing its big brother the Ultra 9 to my 3rd Model as far as dB reduction.

Anybody say TBAC yet? If weight is a concern, then you're done IMO, you found your can. For QD and all around performance, KAC is good and Surefire is a less expensive option to that. Some of these may cost more than your rifle though.

But...

Elite Iron is another high end option that won't break the bank. Same level of quality, CS, etc., just costs less because he uses 316SS instead of Ti (so they do weigh more obviously but as to whether it's an issue depends). If weight isn't a concern, that'd be at the top of my list. They've been my goto for a looong time for BMG or LapMag stuff.

Not to mention Dale, owner of Elite Iron, does custom work that is just top notch A1 titties. Those Harris muzzle brakes? Harris doesn't make those, Dale does. He also will index the can to your rifle or to the brake or the brake and the can to the rifle --my direct thread .50 doesn't require shims in order to swap between brake and can. So POI change will always be the same, always be at or near vertical. Goes the extra distance, doesn't cut corners.

You'll be dealing with is wife most likely, who is one of the nicest people I've ever talked to. She is who keeps the CS at that "Stellar" rating (which is really the highest accolades I can give, sometimes language has limits).

And if you ever wondered where some secret alphabet agencies get some of their best shit from, well, now you know.

Here's a Sierra SD with a brake he installed on an MRAD barrel, all indexed. If you're gonna need any custom work done, he'd be my number one recommendation. That Cerakote is some special military shit I requested, 2x tougher than regular Cerakote, had to be special ordered (apparently by everyone I've contracted to use it so far) --you want it, he'll make it happen:

IMG_1401.JPG

IMG_1402.JPG

Off topic, but I'm dying to get him to do an integral Mk2 pistol or something, ANYTHING really... Dale may be the best in the business when you factor all the other services in, cans aren't all he does.

My DeadAir Sandman L and S are work horses on my winmag. And perform better than my TBAC direct thread 30P1