• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

300 win mag vs 300 RUM

Matt_3479

Sergeant
Minuteman
Oct 12, 2009
This rifle will be built for shots up too 800 yards and closer! 800 yards is my max range. This rifle will be a range rifle, practice but will also be a hunting rifle. I dont want a break due to noise which is one main reason i am leaning towards the RUM. What is peoples opinions on these two calibers?

Re: 300 win mag vs 300 RUM

.300WM- longer barrel life (not by leaps and bounds though), more common to find ammunition for, and 800 yards is plenty close for this caliber... also going to be a bit more gental on your hearing and your shoulder.

if you're limited to 800 yards, why not .308? 300 WM and Rum at 800 yards is like a cup car in a 1/4 mile track

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: matt_3479</div><div class="ubbcode-body">This rifle will be built for shots up too 800 yards and closer! 800 yards is my max range. This rifle will be a range rifle, practice but will also be a hunting rifle. I dont want a break due to noise which is one main reason i am leaning towards the RUM. What is peoples opinions on these two calibers? </div></div>

Are you referring to the 300 Remington Short Action Ultra Mag? The longer version of the Ultra Mag holds more powder and offers more velocity but in most loads it will actually be louder than the same configuration in the Win Mag.

I'd say the same as above if your referring to the longer rounds go with the 300 Winchester.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: stockdoc</div><div class="ubbcode-body">if you're limited to 800 yards, why not .308? 300 WM and Rum at 800 yards is like a cup car in a 1/4 mile track </div></div>

2nd this: 308, 30-06 or the short magnums would be plenty for 800yds

I have the 300 RUM and you do not need a 30 cal that big for 800 yards and under. It is definitely a performer but at cost. I would go 300WM or 30-06 if you want a long action.

I'd honestly probably go 300 RUM just because when i think of shooting a 300 mag the first bullet i want to go to is the 240gr SMK, so that extra powder with the RUM would help. But thats considering going past 1200. For 800 as everyone said the 300WM is the way to go between the two choices. Out of curiosity have you given a look at the short action 6.5s? They will put out near similar ballistics at that range, burn less powder, and have less recoil.

My vote goes for 300 WM.
It will do the job you want done and do it with much less powder.
Also, as stated above, factory ammo is easier to come by if you needed it.

30-06 if 800 yards is going to max and you want a 30 caliber bullet. I agree with the poster recommending a 6.5 in a short action.

300 RUM is a hunting rifle, PERIOD. It is not a range rifle because you will burn out the barrel with 1500 rounds. 300RUM + 208Amax will kill anything in North America a longs ways out there however. With a good length barrel, you can get the 208 moving at over 3100fps, which is an insane amount of downrange energy (close to 4000ft/lbs at 400yds- DAMN!).

I'd go with the 30-06 at the ranges you target. More pop than a 308, but still not recoiling like a 300WM and with better barrel life.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">It is not a range rifle because you will burn out the barrel with 1500 rounds</div></div>

That's an extremely generous estimate, much more like 500-750 rounds.

At 1500rd not making something a viable caliber you would be ruling out all the 6.5's larger than the Swede case (284 case, 30-06 case, 280 case, etc).

I've watched several 300 RUM with 26-28" barrels push the 208's until they explode coming out of the barrel, north of 3300fps while 3000fps can be hit with a 300WM and a 208 Amax, though 2950 is a more reasonable goal for most shooters and rifles.

Barrel life on the 300WM is about 3000rd for some people, though I've seen several go as high as 4500-4700rd.

For 800yd and less I think that James' advice on a 30-06 or 308 is very sound. My personal choice would be a 30-06 since it still has enough capacity to reasonably throw the 208 Amax.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: matt_3479</div><div class="ubbcode-body">This rifle will be built for shots up too 800 yards and closer! 800 yards is my max range. This rifle will be a range rifle, practice but will also be a hunting rifle. I dont want a break due to noise which is one main reason i am leaning towards the RUM. What is peoples opinions on these two calibers? </div></div>

Do you reload?

I recently bought a belted magnum again. It's been about 15 years since I've owned one. I forgot about what a pain it is when the brass swells on the web of the case right above the belt. After 3 reloads they barely fit into the Wilson seater anymore so temporarily I had to extract them with a small screwdriver. My only recourse was to buy this tool. http://www.larrywillis.com/ problem solved but it's another step in the reloading process that I would rather not have to do. Once the barrel is worn out I'm going back to strait walled cases forever more.

IMO 300RUM is too big for most uses. Maybe for extreme long range or hunting big game. In other words occasional use.

How about 300Saum,300WSM with the correct throating for the bullet weight range you plan on using the most?

7 Suam,WSM will give good ballistics,energy and less recoil.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: bohem</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">It is not a range rifle because you will burn out the barrel with 1500 rounds</div></div>

That's an extremely generous estimate, much more like 500-750 rounds.

At 1500rd not making something a viable caliber you would be ruling out all the 6.5's larger than the Swede case (284 case, 30-06 case, 280 case, etc).
</div></div>

Yes, I was generous. I'm talking MOD (minute of deer) accuracy with the 1500 est...

On barrel life, I have a buddy with 5000 hard rounds thru his 300WM and its still shooting well. I'm not sure that is the average, but it does give some idea that the barrel life is good.

My 300 RUM PSS is <span style="font-style: italic">not</span> pleasant to shoot casually (no brake) After 30 or so rounds my accuracy is degraded. Its much worse than a 3-1/2 Mag 12G with a much sharper kick. But that's to be expected throwing 4300 #s of energy at the target. If your going long, really long, or you need to punch through something tougher than an animal it is a good choice. For your stated use the 300 WM will be more than enough.

Of the two, 300WM.. but I'd suggest a 7mm-08, .260 or .308 in a short action. If you want something longer to build off of, look at 30/06, 280 or .284 Winchester. The big 30's seem overkill for that yardage.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: matt_3479</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I dont want a break due to noise which is one main reason i am leaning towards the RUM. </div></div>

sorry guys i meant its the main reason im leaning towards the win mag not the RUM.

I got a RUM...like it because it's mine. Bought it several years ago when I caught a ride on the bigger is better train for deer hunting. Started reloading couple years ago and shooting more and after I played with the RUM i moved to my 260 and the 260 IS my go to gun...a whole lot easier on the shoulder, ears and wallet! It'll eat through a pound of powder in a fingers snap!!
IMHO..Just like "Blackops_2" said....you should give a look at the SA 6.5's.
Just sayin.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Blackops_2</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I'd honestly probably go 300 RUM just because when i think of shooting a 300 mag the first bullet i want to go to is the 240gr SMK, so that extra powder with the RUM would help. But thats considering going past 1200. For 800 as everyone said the 300WM is the way to go between the two choices. Out of curiosity have you given a look at the short action 6.5s? They will put out near similar ballistics at that range, burn less powder, and have less recoil. </div></div>

There is a few 6.5 i really like, and a few 7mm's i really like. I was originally going to go with a 7mm mag and look into firing the 180 berger vld's. But i ruled out the 6.5 due to moose, black bear and elk that are being targeted. I wouldn't hesitate using the 6.5 on these games but only out too certain yardage and since moose is my main target i figured a larger diamater bullet would be better. Deer is the second target but moose will be the main target and a 300. win mag topped the 6.5 and the 7mm

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: matt_3479</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
There is a few 6.5 i really like, and a few 7mm's i really like. I was originally going to go with a 7mm mag and look into firing the 180 berger vld's. But i ruled out the 6.5 due to moose, black bear and elk that are being targeted. I wouldn't hesitate using the 6.5 on these games but only out too certain yardage and since moose is my main target i figured a larger diamater bullet would be better. Deer is the second target but moose will be the main target and a 300. win mag topped the 6.5 and the 7mm</div></div>

I believe skyking took a Elk at 1380yds with his 7WSM. Might want to give a look at that also. 180gr Hunting VLDs should do nicely.

I owned a Remington 700 300 win mag with a 26" fluted sendero barrel with a magna-port brake and B&C A5 stock. Badger bottom metal with detachable mag & badger 1-piece mount (20 MOA I think). This was my 500-1000 yard gun. It was an awesome gun. I sort of regret selling it but it was worth it for what gun I ended up with.

I vote 300 WM. RUM is overkill unless you want to shoot Elk or bigger at 800 yards. 300 WM is a great round. I was using 180gr Hornady SSTs and Barnes TSX and they shot that distance reliably every time out.

The guy I sold it to is not selling it because he ran into a financial crunch but I guess without 100 posts I shouldn't post a link to the sale.

I really like the 300Win
200gr Accubonds for hunting and 208 Amax or 190-200-220 SMKs for target.
I like it more with the brake on.

You will too!
smile.gif

As far as brakes go, I enjoy shooting my current rig (Surgeon Scalpel) in 300WM much more with the brake than without. And that is a pretty heavy rifle.
I would, if doing a 300WM build, give the addition of a brake more consideration. You will most certainly have the gun at a range more than actual shooting in hunting situations.

300WM put a good brake on it get a set of good hearimg protectors and you will have a real good time at the range.

At that yardage I would much rather have 22-250, 243, 260, 6.5 Creedmoor, 7-08, 308, 280, 30-06 or similar. All these options will keep you supersonic to your max range. Might not be as flat shooting as a big magnum but any of the above choices will provide other advantages that IMO are more important in the sub 1k range. Good luck.

My vote is for the 300 Win Mag. Got one earlier this year and couldn't be happier with it. Are you looking at custom rifles or, say, a "ready to go, out of the box" rifle?

I'm in the same boat right now too & leaning to the 300 winmag. Seating 190 & 210 vld's is questionable in 300RUM using standard long action bottom metals. Can only go out to 3.65in in AI mags. You can use the AccurateMag 3.85 setup, but I already have a CDI sitting on the bench & already load 300wm so I'm sticking with win mag.

I have shot RUM w/o brake & it is a bear. 24 rds of load development & had to put it up! 300wm is much easier with no brake. I just did a 7wsm w/ holland style brake & cap swith & it is wicked. If the range is busy just screw on the cap, screw on the brake and can spot hits at any range. Also shot the holland style on a 300winmag & it's like a puppy. Recoils like a .243win. Look up devin @ sinarms for these sweet brakes.

Powder goes further & much better brass for winmag too.

The 308 will never be a reliable big game cartridge at 800yds. Go with 300 win mag. Ultra mag is to much of a good thing.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: gosooners</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I'm in the same boat right now too & leaning to the 300 winmag. Seating 190 & 210 vld's is questionable in 300RUM using standard long action bottom metals. Can only go out to 3.65in in AI mags. You can use the AccurateMag 3.85 setup, but I already have a CDI sitting on the bench & already load 300wm so I'm sticking with win mag.

I have shot RUM w/o brake & it is a bear. 24 rds of load development & had to put it up! 300wm is much easier with no brake. I just did a 7wsm w/ holland style brake & cap swith & it is wicked. If the range is busy just screw on the cap, screw on the brake and can spot hits at any range. Also shot the holland style on a 300winmag & it's like a puppy. Recoils like a .243win. Look up <span style="font-style: italic"><span style="font-weight: bold">devin @ sinarms for these sweet brakes</span></span>.

Powder goes further & much better brass for winmag too. </div></div>

Devin Is an hour from where I live. Hell of a nice guy!

Devin's great to work with. He's responsible for the one holer 7-300wsm I have. It's ridiculous. I would not hesitate to call him on anything. Awesome dude and awesome smith.

For out to 800 yards, I vote for a 308. I use my 308 for out to 1200. The 300WM and the 300 RUM are both great. I have the RUM and love it. I use it for steel and hunting. With a break is the only way I would want to shoot it, and you better have ear plugs in under the muffs.
1323833129.jpg

+1 on the win mag. If your completed rig is in the 12 pound range recoil isn't bad at all without a brake . Very hard to catch your hits under 500 yards though. I enjoy mine a lot better with the brake or suppressor attached for sure. Just take the brake off when hunting. JMO.

Might look closely at the .30-06 Ackley Improved if you want to shoot the 200gr or heavier bullets. Not a heckuva lot of gain from the AI with lighter bullet weights, but 190 and up make the extra capacity deliver close enough to the WM or WSM not to worry.

I've got a Palma barreled .308win on a model 70LA that I'm wresting with reaming to 06AI. .308AI in a LA is not a slouch either.

If really hung-up for a magnum, look at the .30-338 which has been a choice for many 1000yd benchrest shooters.

My Vote Is 300 WM.. Im pushing 210 Bergers out of my rock creek barrel at 2950fps. I have other guns that I use for different terrain such as hunting in the timber with shots never reaching over 200 yrds but I can always count on my WinMag to come through no matter what. Near or Far it straight lays the hammer down on anything I dial in on. I will admit that the WinMag in a standard weight rifle can lay a whomp off the bench but out of gun that is in the 12-14 pound range its not an issue. My wife as killed deer and hit my 1000yrd plate with my WinMag. Its like anything in this sport of ours. With one Question you get a thousand viable and convincing opionions. It all is a matter of preference in the End... Good Luck With Your Decision.

I know were in the bolt forum but I would check out a Larue obr in 308 if I were you

I know you guys say the rum kicks like hell.I have a 300 rum factory Rem and a 30.06 rem factory and reload both hot.The rum kicks less than the 06.the rum has the laminated stock it makes it heaver and maybe that's why its a pleasure to shoot i can shoot the rum all day long.Cant do that with the o6 it will tear my shoulder up.and i am 6'3" Not a little guy.

My RUM sits in a HS precision stock with the mercury recoil reducer and the barrel has been mag-na ported. I don't think the recoil is bad, and others who shoot it seem to agree.

If I had to do it over again I would go 300win or weatherby due to the ease of finding factory ammo.

I have both and I would recommend the RUM over the WM hands down for ELR situations but for your set of requirements the WM is a no brainier. It is much better on barrel life, powder, recoil especial with no brake (I would not shot a rum without a brake)and cost.

The RUM is a waste at under 1200m. I don't know why you would shoot a rifle that's main advantage is kinetic energy and laser like trajectory at shorter range and burn up barrels and tons of powder. The WM is much cheaper to shoot, can be shot without a break more comfortably and has very good ballistics and punch downrange.

The RUM shines at ELR but don't take on all the bad if your not going to use it for the good. Now a 6.5 would do what you want in a range setting if you do not need that downrange energy but if your hunting big game the WM is a good choice as are the 7mm offerings as well.

My .02cents

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: excaliber</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The 308 will never be a reliable big game cartridge at 800yds. Go with 300 win mag. Ultra mag is to much of a good thing. </div></div>

Very well put. If shooting targets at distances of 800yds and less was your objective, the 308 would serve you well. But I would not trust it to take game. To your original question though, the 300WM is the better choice. My 300RUM Sendero is a beast when loaded up with 240 gr SMK. It packs a punch. Way too much for casual shooting. 300WM is far more manageable and will handle any game out to 800 yds. If you have the option, consider something like the 308 or 30-06 for just shooting and pick up a 300WM in a hunting configuration for the occasional trip. After all, you can never have too many rifles.

Im been looking into purchasing my prize rifle that can easily take down anything in North America at range and Its been suggested to me by multiple people to go with a RUM. After reading up on it, i dont think thats the way to go. I will be hunting and range shooting with it.My question is: what would be a top notch 300 win mag rifle to get for around 1500.00 or under? Are Sako the way to go or should i stick to a model 700? Which variant of each would be best?

I love my 300 rum, i also shoot without a brake being it is my hunting rifle. Mine is a little over ten pounds so recoil isn’t to bad. 200 grain accubonds have worked very good for me on moose elk and deer. If you are going to spend more time at the range I go would go 300 win you will shoot it more often.

Now my next question regarding this. For a long range 300 win mag 26in barrel under 2000.00 which brand and model would be best: Sako or Weatherby as far as performance. I want a rifle that can take down any game in north america at distances. aestheics are nice to look at for craftsmanship but not nearly as important to me. Under 2k. Very accurate up to 1000 yds( i will prob never shoot more than 500 yds but regardless i want that kind of performance out of my rifle. In general, whats the better brand and what is the best model for what i decsribed

Not a single person recommended a 300 prc, if I were to be starting from scratch that’s what I would pick, the RUM is an overbore, and inefficient, loud, heavy recoiling.. if I wanted a big 30 I would go with a 300 Norma but that’s another story all together.

300 prc is your ticket, Begara or one of them steel barreled christianson rifles for $1500 would prolly do everything you want it to do.

i shoot a win mag, but I have had dies and brass forever for it. I shoot 200 accubonds and 215 Berger hybrid almost 2900 and it’s plenty enough to kill anything mentioned in this thread at just about any distance mentioned.