• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

300 win mag vs 338 win mag 20 inch barrel

Stjames9

Private
Minuteman
Jul 18, 2019
hey guys I know this can be a touchy one and I don't want to start a bit of a calibre war ;) I'm also aware that there are some answers to this on google so my reasoning for asking is because there's a lot of "well I suppose" going on and Id rather hear from those who have actually chronographed or shot animals with these rounds.. so my reasoning behind this question is because I like mannlicher stocks but they can be limited on barrel length, that being said I've been back and forth on what caliber to go with and was curious which one of these would be a better choice for that short of barrel, I am hoping to shoot moose with this so I don't really want to go much smaller.

Thanks for your time and responses happy new year guys!

Usually larger bullet diameters are less effected by short barrel length when case capacity is similar. I think either would get the job done on moose, but 338 WM benefits significantly from larger bullet diameter and higher bullet weight

Reactions: memtb
I've shot a pile of moose as well as other assorted critters with both 300 and 338Wm. They both work fine, I think the 338 will suffer a little less with the shorter barrel due to the smaller ratio of case capacity to bore diameter. That said, I feel you'd be splitting hairs. I run a 22" barrel on my 338wm simply because giving up a bit of velocity is well worth having a rifle that is handier to maneuver. I used 200gr in my 300 and use 210 ttsx in my 338. If you want maximum range lengthen the barrel, if you're set on 20", just get closer.

Last edited:
Reactions: memtb
What else are you hoping to do with this rifle? A 20 with mannlicher isn't exactly saying precision LR set up, so if you think you need a 300 or 338 to take a moose inside, let's say 300yds, you really don't. You might want to consider a round a little more tolerant of the shorter barrel that will be more pleasant to shoot.

Reactions: longshot2000
I've dropped camels with my .338 Lapua.
700 - 900 metres plus.
It's a good calibre for munting large ferals at distance.
Without a doubt, there are arguably "better" calibres available.
I find it tracks consistently.