• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

.300 win mag w/208 amax at 1202 yards question

I don't know , maybe 1500 rounds?? I don't shoot it that much for reasons such as that and I've got several other nice LR rifles that are less wear on the bbl, cheaper to shoot and good to 1400 yards. I built it because the .338 Lapua costs were killing me and with the 230 at that speed the ballistics and energy were almost identical to 1500 yards. Then the 338 overtakes it. But where I win is in my wallet.... Brass, powder, bullets ect... For the most part all cheaper. And I've got a stick that still has enough energy to bring down a Whitetail at 1500 yards

How far off the grooves do you set the 230s? I have the ones with the higher bc .743 the hybrid target bullets.

How far off the grooves do you set the 230s? I have the ones with the higher bc .743 the hybrid target bullets.

With the 230 OTM , I'm seating mag length (3.620") which means I'm jumping well over 100/1000's. I also shoot the 230 Hybrid targets. Talk about LONG. 3.011" to the ogive and I think it's in the neighborhood of 3.725 coal. But the hybrid targets WILL NOT SHOOT in my rifle unless they are snugged up against the lands. The hybrid targets shoot very well.... Just have to single feed.

With the 230 OTM , I'm seating mag length (3.620") which means I'm jumping well over 100/1000's. I also shoot the 230 Hybrid targets. Talk about LONG. 3.011" to the ogive and I think it's in the neighborhood of 3.725 coal. But the hybrid targets WILL NOT SHOOT in my rifle unless they are snugged up against the lands. The hybrid targets shoot very well.... Just have to single feed.

Thanks for the info. I did set them to the grooves (which was a guess about where they would be happy) but it was my first time out with the new barrel so I didn't have a lot of ammo to shoot groups. I did have two touching but I pulled the last one. I don't mind single feeding I shoot less. I appreciate the help anytime I can repay let me know.

Thanks for the info. I did set them to the grooves (which was a guess about where they would be happy) but it was my first time out with the new barrel so I didn't have a lot of ammo to shoot groups. I did have two touching but I pulled the last one. I don't mind single feeding I shoot less. I appreciate the help anytime I can repay let me know.

It's no problem. Hope they shoot for ya. AS

Once you moly, you really can't go back to shooting regular bullets ?? Never shot mollified bullets but if they would preserve bbl life I would be interested

You can also look into HBN/BN (boron nitrate). It's supposed to be slicker and not have the buildup/hardening effect moly has. It's definitely cleaner(as far as the coating itself)....

Last edited:
I've never tried to go to naked bullets after moly so I can't say for sure I couldn't do it.
My last barrel went past 3000 rnds running moly, & this one is @ 2750+ so far, & is still accurate. My cleaning regime is to run my bore snake through a few times after each use, & a full cleaning every year or so. I don't expect to get 8000 rnds through a barrel, but I don't see why 5000 rnds isn't possible.

I've never tried to go to naked bullets after moly so I can't say for sure I couldn't do it.
My last barrel went past 3000 rnds running moly, & this one is @ 2750+ so far, & is still accurate. My cleaning regime is to run my bore snake through a few times after each use, & a full cleaning every year or so. I don't expect to get 8000 rnds through a barrel, but I don't see why 5000 rnds isn't possible.

Do you coat the bore also?

A few weeks ago I went to 1202 yards with a 9 to 10" group shooting a 208 amax out of a 700 pss/ badger ordnance brake and base/rings. Load was 72.9 r22 seated at 3.602" oal. (2933 fps) I am at 300 to 400 feet asl. I was using the G1 form factor with these bullets (.651) and it was spot on. To be on target, I was at 33.1 moa elevation. no wind calls. Question is given the information on which i have conveyed how far do you guys estimate this bullet will hit accurately on it's best day. jbm says 1750 but I hear of guys making well over mile hits, even up to 2200 yards. I realize sectional density plays a big part as well as BC and NO I do not have the berger otms, but I just wanted to get you guys opinions on how far it will go given the best weather conditions.

I just took my new 26" shilen barrel out yesterday to start load work using the 208 amax and reloder 22... My hopes with this rifle is to reach 1800+ yards with sub moa accuracy. after shooting some charges through the chrony these are my results with this combo: 208 amax, Hornady case, rl22, fed215, seated -.015"

67gn= 2825 fps
(mild)

68gn= 2859 fps
(no pressure signs)

69gn= 2916 fps *possible node
(primer flattening, no other signs)

69.5gn= 2919 fps
(flatter edges of primer getting warm)

70 gn= 2957 fps
(ever flatter edges, getting warmer)

70.5 gn= 2988 fps *possible node
(completely flat primer, slight cratering, slight ejector mark, easy bolt lift)

I like the velocity of the 70.5 charge but my concern is overpressure especially after bedding a manners t5a stock to my action. my next step is to do a 500 yard ladder after sorting through bullets base to ogive...

Last edited:
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Dyna962007</div><div class="ubbcode-body">let me ask you guys, the VLD's seem to have an awesome rep for their kill qualities with large game.
And are reasonably accurate, and stable.
What is the nature of these hybrid bullets? What are their characteristics, are they more of a highly accurate target cartridge or can they be used for hunting?
mike</div></div>
The hybrids were designed with 2 things in mind. A) less sensitivity to seating depth. B)be stabilized after going subsonic. Dont hold that as the Gospel but I believe that's it. As far as vlds on game..... Imagine taking a boat paddle and whacking a tree. That's what the 210's sound like at 500 + yards

settled at 69.9 grains of reloader 22 for my load good accuracy and velocity...

That seems like a safe dependable load. That's very good speed for that charge weight too !

I'm taking the 215's out to 1470 yards tomorrow. Also the 230 OTM's. shot at 890 yesterday and it should be roughly 12.2 mils with the 215 and 13.6 to 13.7 with the 230 OTM to hit at 1470. Will report back tomorrow and let you guys know my results. Not sure how to post video but it'll be filmed.

Well we are working on the 1470 range right now. Have to get pallets to raise the AR500 steel plate due to the topography. But I did hit at 1330 yards center mass. 10.1 mils to get there with a 100 yard zero. Will report back a little later.

I'm at 4400' asl which helps a bit with mv... going out soon to test at 1000 yards with this load. Lately I've been practicing on tightening up my fundamentals with my 308 shooting prone off of concrete mostly 100 yards breaking position and reestablishing for every shot. This REALLY has been helping me get on target every time i get behind the rifle. I've been shooting for about a year now and really need to practice good habits. wish i had watched the rifles only video from the get go wouldn't have wasted so much ammo. but u live u learn right?

Well, 1470 was not achieved THIS time. Trigger Time TV was filming and had alot of other things they wanted to do. So basically my buddy and I shot at 1330 while they were fimling some things on another one of our ranges. He shot a 6 Creedmor with a 105 hybrid and I shot the 215 hybrids. That SOB shot 4" group. I had 3 go down range with only 2 hits. But the mirage was so bad you could barely make out the target much less the circles painted. So, I DO now have it set up to shoot to 1500... But it's going to be off my tool box , resting on the top of the hood, which is fine with me. The 215's impacted hard, the 105's.... Ya know... Not so much. Also learned that I need to be shooting at sunrise or sunset... Even at 15 X out a 4.5x30 XRS the mirage was still terrible. But given the conditions which we were shooting in and the lack of shooting this particular load past 1,000 I was very pleased. My buddy was tickled shitless.