• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

300 win mag

TOPGuN050

Sergeant
Minuteman
Mar 28, 2012
Butler PA
had a question on how heavy of a bullet i should go with i am shooting a 300wm barrel has a 1/10 twist rate and the 150gr hornady superformance are shooting well out to 400yds but i have been advised to go with a heavier bullet before going any farther. any comments or info are greatly appreciated thanks

Re: 300 win mag

What do you want your rifle to do? Punching paper, huting how far?
With the 1:10 I would think the range of 170gr-200gr would suit that rate of twist better that the 150s shooting groups.

With a 10 twist you can shoot anything up to the 240s. Depends what you want to do and how far you plan to shoot them. I use the 208 AMAX as they have an excellent BC and I can push them at a decent speed of about 2940fps.

My 300 is a 1-10 and like bcpd and rob both said, it loves those 190-220 grain pills. I have been shooting 190's consistently to 1200 yards. But like the others said, are you hunting large game or just target shooting?

I am going with the 1-11 twist. I only plan on going up to the 210 berger. My smith said 1-11 would be just fine, he also said the 11 over the 10 would be a little better for the 175-190 grain bullets too.

well to be honest we have been stepping the distance back farther and farther since i bought the rifle and have made it to 400 with it and i now realize that to go much farther im going to need to go with a heavier bullet. the only problem is that i am from pennsylvania and there isnt many shots here beyond 500 or so i struggled to find a 400 shot. i think i will give the 190s a try at the moment we are shooting milk jugs and once in awhile punch paper. the gun is a bit heavy to be lugging through the deer woods. thanks for all who posted this has been a big help

210 bergers @ 2800fps out of a 24in barrel gives me great accuracy. Anything less than 185 grains and you're cheating your 300 win mag... its like putting shitty gas in a Ferrari.

thank you everyone for the good info i will be switching my ammo tommorow right after i burn up the remaining 150s i have

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: TOPGuN050</div><div class="ubbcode-body">thank you everyone for the good info i will be switching my ammo tommorow right after i burn up the remaining 150s i have </div></div>
For longer range work id shoot at least 190s, Id love to try the new 195HPBT by Hornady.
http://www.midwayusa.com/product/763300/...oint-box-of-100

the 195s are probably gonna be what i go with i shot my 150s today and i am starting to get key holes very very bad and thats at only 100yds so i am promptly going to burn the rest of my 150s up and switch i hope this solves the problems

I'd recommend trying the Sierra 190 mk and see if it shoots well for you. They're usually very accurate in a 1:10 and do well to beyond 1000 yds and won't break the bank.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: TOPGuN050</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> the only problem is that i am from pennsylvania and there isnt many shots here beyond 500 or so i struggled to find a 400 shot.</div></div>

I don't really know much about the 300 win mag but I would think heavies would be better and the 150's should be left to the .308.

But, I'm from the Pittsburgh area and I'd imagine there would a few more places up in butler to shoot 300 yards or more.

However, a fantastic place to shoot is only a couple hour drive from here in Ohio. Thunder Valley Precision has steel plates from 100-1k yards, a 1 mile plate and regularly holds matches with targets out to about 1200 yards i believe. I've been there a few times and it is a great place learn and shoot and stretch the legs of any rifle.

I gear for hunting and I'm dailing in the 200gr for the 300wm.

I have a a 7mmrm dialed in with 160gr.

I try to dial in each cailber with a min 40-50gr bullet weight difference.

.338LM 250 gr

etc

I typically just don't see that big a diff with 10-15gr bullet weight changes most the time.

thanks triceratops thats a big help and yea i have found a few places over 300 but not much always like 380 or close to 400 but no 500 yard shots found yet i must say. ill have to check out that range in ohio

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: TOPGuN050</div><div class="ubbcode-body">the 195s are probably gonna be what i go with i shot my 150s today and i am starting to get key holes very very bad and thats at only 100yds so i am promptly going to burn the rest of my 150s up and switch i hope this solves the problems </div></div>

If 150s are keyholing it will only get worse with heavier bullets. I can't imagine 150s not stabalizing in a 300wm though.
I will probably get blasted for this but I don't feel you can over twist most bullets
except for some thin varmit types. I use fairly fast twist in all my rifles 1-8 to 1-10
.22 to .308 that way I can shoot as heavy as I want, never had accuracy issues with lighter bullets but some of those really thin bullets won't make the trip downrange.
Thats not a big deal for me because I like a little more bullet anyhow.

I just got some 190 smk from corbon. It is a really nice load. Shot great out of my 1-10 26 in barrel. Corbon performance match. Great price and free shipping of you order $100 worth.

Mike