• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

300 winchester rifle

onemanmafia99

Private
Minuteman
Nov 15, 2011
So ive been debating whether to get a rifle chamber in 300 win or 338 lapua for a few months. After a lot of thought i decided to go with 300 winchester because i can ever afford 338 lapua. This will be my first bolt action rifle so i want to keep it relatively simple, but not cheap out at the same time.

What do you guys think about savage? I have been looking on there site and see a rifle i like (10/110 FCP HS Precision $1192.00) it is kind of on the expensive end of my price range but i dont think many rifles are going to be much cheaper. I've heard some horror stories about remingtons on the internet... one story claimed he bought the rifle and couldn't get groups smaller than 4 inches at 75 yards, he called remington and they said "4 inch groups are exceptable for a law enforcement sniper." So idk if i want to trust them or not.

I'm really on a budget, being a college athlete leaves me with VERY little money to play with, so i need something that will last.
I dont get to shoot much but i think that ammo costs will let me shoot more with a 300 win than a 338 lapua (i feel like the practice will be much more important than the extra power/range, especially since i wont shoot past 700 yards at the very most)
and are aftermarket parts easily available for savage rifles? The budget won't allow to do much now but in the future i want to try and make this rifle kind of "tacticool" just for the sake of looking cool
smile.gif

Sorry for the long post but i just need some clearance on things.. feel free to suggest any other companies/rifles chambered in 300 win or if you think i should go with 338 lapua, any input will be appreciated

thanks for the help,
Matt

fyi this rifle will mostly be for target shooting

Re: 300 winchester rifle

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Bob L. Swagger</div><div class="ubbcode-body">.308 win would suit you best. </div></div>
^ this, if this will be your first gun, you needn't start with a 300wm. I might even suggest a .223, but I dont know what your plans are for shooting so that may not be a good fit. There is absolutely nothing wrong with Remington's, some of the best factory rifles out there. But a Savage like the one you mentioned would be cheaper.

I agree with the other guys. Start small. If I were you I would but a savage action. Order a barrel with a 1-8 or 1-7 twist for a 223 or 22-250 and enjoy the cheap supplies while you get your feet wet. Don't always think that bigger is better. The above two calibers (especially a 22-250) loaded with 75+ grain bullets are nothing to take lightly. You can achieve amazing results on a budget with these 2 rounds. In fact you could get your whole setup for damn near just the price Of that 300WM. I went with 308 when I started 3 years ago or so. I am glad I didn't start any bigger because there is a lot to learn. I am just now upgrading. Good luck with your decision. Feel free to pm me with any questions.

Brett

This is not my first rifle all together, just my first bolt action. I have a PTR 91 chambered in 308 and an AK. But with the iron sights accuracy can be really hard. I like the 308 but i wanted something with a little more punch.

That being said, do you guys think there is much of a difference between 300 winchester and 308? Keeping it too one ammo is always good but I do like to try new things.

.308 will be a LOT cheaper to shoot and at the distances you are talking about (700 yards and in) you won't need a magnum.

The other nice thing about .308 is availability of information. I'd be willing to bet that all of the actual shooters on this site have a good bit of experience with a .308 and can give you plenty of information.

The 300 has SIGNIFICANTLY more recoil than the 308. For target shooting out to 700 yards the 300 is way more gun than you need. The 308 will get you there a lot cheaper and with a lot less pain. If your budget is 1k look at the Remington 700 5r. If you want the best value get a Savage.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: predatornut</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The 300 has SIGNIFICANTLY more recoil than the 308. For target shooting out to 700 yards the 300 is way more gun than you need. The 308 will get you there a lot cheaper and with a lot less pain. If your budget is 1k look at the Remington 700 5r. If you want the best value get a Savage. </div></div>

Not to mention barrel life. Plus the magnum gets red hot after 10 shots. If it's your first, get a caliber that cost less to shoot, easier on the body, and last a lot longer between rebarrels. I know that the difference in price between the two is not much, so why not buy the bigger one? Unless you actually shoot at more than 800 yards a lot, then it's really a waste. I have both, and only get to shoot at distance once in a blue moon, so guess which one goes to the range weekly??????? Best of luck either way.

I would recommend a compromise, shop for a used Savage 110 long action and scrap the barrel. Order a quality stainless barrel from Northland shooters supply in .308 winchester. As you can afford it upgrade the stock, if your not afraid to inlet and bed yourself you can save more money. Once you want to move up from the .308 win you can easily re-barrell it yourself for .300win mag or .338, you just need to change the head of the bolt along with the barrell. Starting out this way should get you going for well under $1000 and give you the ability to upgrade later.

buy what you want the first time. get the win mag. make sure it has a brake on it. not sure if savage makes the 110fcp-k in win mag anymore but if you can find one they are a great deal. privi makes some cheaper plinking ammo, save the brass and when you can afford a single stage press buy one. when you start handloading you will see the benefits of the cartridge. and try to keep the shit eating grin off your face on a windy day next to other shooters with 308s

You really dont need the 300 win mag unless you are target shooting out to 1000 yards or hunting big game that you dont want to take a chance of just wounding (shot placement is still a big player here though, the right shot can take down just about anything) You will be much happier with the 308, and remingtons are not bad guns, I have an old 300 win mag that i am still holding 1 moa groups with it and its 30 years old with factory barrel. the 22-250, like the guys earlier mentioned, is a wonderful round. its my favorite round in fact, and I own the savage btcss in 22-250. love the savage action, i think it is smoother than remingtons, but I do not care for that particular stock. as far as a good all around gun goes out of the box, check out the 5r or the senderos by remingtons. You will probably get the most bang for your buck that way.

From what you all say it sounds like i should go with the the 308.. although i do like the idea of being able to switch calibers pretty easily.. im pretty sure im going to go with savage for price reasons. I see they have a few rifles for around 600 dollars but i think im going to stick to their LE Series.

On a different note, what do you guys think about the Mosin Nagant? Those guns are pretty cheap when i see them and from what i hear they are very reliable... could i just pick up something like that and practice with it... than upgrade later? I mean if it worked for Russian snipers in WW2 it would probably be fine for me to shoot.

Don't waste your money on the mosin. Use that money towards glass or other important things. If you are really itching for a .300 win mag, I may be looking to unload my Remington 700 5R barreled action. It shoots sub 1/2 moa 3 shot groups with 208 amax bullets (have pic of target posted on here), has less than 200 rounds down the tube, cerekoted OD green by (ARPredatorhunter), timney 510 trigger, badger ordnance knob, leupold MK IV base, and has a JP howitzer brake installed. (PM me if your are interested)

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Onemanmafia</div><div class="ubbcode-body">From what you all say it sounds like i should go with the the 308.. although i do like the idea of being able to switch calibers pretty easily.. im pretty sure im going to go with savage for price reasons. I see they have a few rifles for around 600 dollars but i think im going to stick to their LE Series.

On a different note, what do you guys think about the Mosin Nagant? Those guns are pretty cheap when i see them and from what i hear they are very reliable... could i just pick up something like that and practice with it... than upgrade later? I mean if it worked for Russian snipers in WW2 it would probably be fine for me to shoot. </div></div>

The Nagant is a WWII weapon, not even one of the better ones, thats why they are cheap. They are not even in the same ballpark as the rifles people are recommending in this thread.

Okay, it was just a though but yea than i think im going to look for a savage 308.. keeping the caliber common to my other gun is a good thing if there's really no point in getting the 300 win

if your not planning on reloading the .308 is great because everybody has one, since i do reload i would never buy another unless i got a great deal

308 is cheaper to shoot than a 300wm but a 22 is cheaper to shoot than a 308,get the caliber<span style="font-weight: bold"> YOU </span>like - if you like 300wm go for it, but get a REMINGTON, you'll thank yourself later when you want to upgrade trigger, stock or whatever - 700 is the smallblock Chevy of rifles - huge aftermarket support - new sporter is about 800.00 if you want a heavy barrel 5R is about 1100.00 & varmit somewher in between -if your gonna uprade stock later start with base model synthetic about 600.00 - whatever caliber you choose REM 700 makes more sense if your gonna customize later-- just my 2 cents

I have been having the same debate with myself and went with .300 win mag. I have a .308 FN SCAR H. Didn't want another .308. Wanted something that could literally do everything from hunting big game to long range plinking. If I would have gotten the .308 I would now be buying a .300 win mag after spending some time at the range with a few marine snipers with .300 win mags. Glad I saved the money and got what I wanted first. Does it kick more? Definitely! Is the recoil manageable with a badger muzzle break and decelerator pad? Definitely!

I bought a savage 110 in .300 win mag in 1995 for $225 and have been shooting it ever since, not once have I thought "I wish I had bought a .308 winchester". Let me caveat my earlier post, my point was that you can build what you want pretty cheaply. You will then know you have a good barrel and will know how to change it in the future (it's pretty easy). If I were looking to purchase a rifle I would be looking for somethign to build off of, not something off the shelf to fit the bill.