• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

300 winmag,Shortmag ?

dmg308

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
Aug 25, 2005
Manassas Va,USA
Anyone running the real heavy bullets in the 300 mags(either win or win shrt) are you seeing better barrel life? I'm talking the 210-240 gr stuff.

Re: 300 winmag,Shortmag ?

No grizzlies around here so I shoot 180 out of all my 300s. No change in accuracy that I have been able to notice. Have not seen a shortened barrel life either.

I run 190s. Haven't notice any more barrel wear than with any other round.

Thats the pretty standard stuff. I'm curious as it seems the military is playing around with 210 plus weights in 300 win mag. And wanted to know if better barrel life is one of the factors for it.

Don't know about the accuracy, but the 89 grain case capacity of the win mag should handle the heavy bullets better than the 80 grain capacity of the short mag. While the heavier bullets will eat into those 89 grains, you'll still have more volume to play with than if you try to use those same bullets in the short mag.