• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

300 wm advice

Carpdoctor

Private
Minuteman
Feb 5, 2011
Iowa
I have a 300 wm that I bought 15 years ago for elk hunting. It is a Rem 700 sendero. I was considering getting in on the longrifle group buy and give this gun some new life. It has been a safe queen for 13 years. I a have a 223 6mm284 7mm08 308. None of which are set up as a long range tactical guns. I will probably rebarrel my 6mm284 soon, for obvious reasons. LOL and make it something in the 6.5 variety.

So do you guys think I should leave the 300wm a 300 or rebarrel it as something else? I would like to set it up with bottom metal and mags. I just don't know much about that stuff.

Get Chad to breath new life into it...he has a heck of a deal going on!!! Keep it 300wm...Very good elk medicine

I have a 300 wm that I bought 15 years ago for elk hunting. It is a Rem 700 sendero. I was considering getting in on the longrifle group buy and give this gun some new life. It has been a safe queen for 13 years. I a have a 223 6mm284 7mm08 308. None of which are set up as a long range tactical guns. I will probably rebarrel my 6mm284 soon, for obvious reasons. LOL and make it something in the 6.5 variety.

So do you guys think I should leave the 300wm a 300 or rebarrel it as something else? I would like to set it up with bottom metal and mags. I just don't know much about that stuff.

Carp,
The old style 700 Sendero is a great base for a new project. I would keep as a 300 win mag and have it revitalized. I just did one with a 26' ss Bartlein in medium palma contour. It rides in a Manners MCS T3 and is a great piece. You will probably want to replace that trigger and put some good glass on it. The 30 cal has a great variety of bullets available that perform extrememly well from the lightest to the heaviest. I'm shooting 215 Bergers and 230 Bergers and they will bring home any Elk you run into. Good luck with your project.

My "Tactical" rifle was also a Remington Sendero 300 win mag. Robert Gradous has it right now after some "gunsmith" around here screwed it up. I have put a Manners T4A stock on it with the Detachable mags that I ordered from Stockys for a great a price and had it in a few days. I had to file down the rear screw for the stock to fit and my bolt to close but it is essentially a drop in stock. I put a Timney trigger in mine and a good muzzle break is a must on the .300 win mag. Gradous is having Gre-Tan true up the action and he is rebarreling it with a M24 Krieger and Little Bastard muzzle brake. He is adding a Badger bolt knob and cerakoting the barrel and brake. I got VERY lucky getting in touch with Robert when I did as he wasn't/isn't taking any new builds then. I have had to order and ship him the necessary parts though but that hasn't bothered me one bit. I am just excited to have a rifle builder like him to be willing to work on my rifle. There are plenty of other smiths/builders on here that do great work as well. Your rifle is a perfect platform to start on though. The .260's are nice but I love my .300 win mag!!!

I also have the older model Sendro, and would not trade it for anything. I had the bolt flutted, badger bolt handle, muzzle brake
(Holland), Trigger job to 2.5 lbs, CeraKoted in OD, and in a green with black web HS Prescision PST026 stock. I have put close to 1,000 rounds thru this barrel and it still shoots sub MOA with the Berger 210 match at 2,950 fps. I am waiting for the factory barrel to give it up and get a new one in 28 to 30 ". I have several customs, and this old work horse shoots right with them. Keep it 300 wm.

Another vote for keeping it .300WM.

I went through the same process as you, but a few years ago. My old Sendero had the 24" round barrel. "Ugly Betty" sure wasn't pretty, but she sure could shoot. I sent her away for an extreme makeover to John Whidden. I wanted a long range hunting hammer. Light enough to carry hunting, but heavy enough to comfortably shoot paper at long ranges without stringing after 2-3 rounds. John put on a Hart 26" Light Palma contour barrel, vais muzzle brake, one of John's custom stocks, trued everything up, EGW one piece aluminum base, Nightforce Ultralight rings, and I put on a Swaro Z5 3.5-18x44 scope with BRH reticle. Total weight just under 11 pounds. Rifle is a tack driver with Hornady, Black Hills, Fed match ammo, and Win 180 Accubonds. Fast forward through a divorce and a HUGE pay cut, and my dream Elk hunt will probably never happen. The beauty about this rifle is that I now have a Nightforce 5.5-22x50 NP-R1 on top and long range paper punching keeps me happy for the time being. Depending on you physical ability and the terrain you want to hump, I would recommend Light or Medium Palma Contour.

If you strictly want a tactical long range rifle, I've heard that the Sendero actions were a very good start when married up with long heavy barrels.

Bill

Last edited:
Keep it a 300wm.....but I agree with WB300 a long heavy barrel is the way to go. I have two 300 wm the rifle with 26in heavy barrel is more enjoyable to shoot vs the 24 in hunting rifle

Thanks for the info. I am still a little unsure of what barrel and brake to get. I will probably never take this gun on a long hiking trip but I will want to be able to carry it if needed. I was considering getting a bartlien barrel. Just not sure what contour.

Carp,
The old style 700 Sendero is a great base for a new project. I would keep as a 300 win mag and have it revitalized. I just did one with a 26' ss Bartlein in medium palma contour. It rides in a Manners MCS T3 and is a great piece. You will probably want to replace that trigger and put some good glass on it. The 30 cal has a great variety of bullets available that perform extrememly well from the lightest to the heaviest. I'm shooting 215 Bergers and 230 Bergers and they will bring home any Elk you run into. Good luck with your project.

What did the total weight of this project end up at.

Check out the Badger Thruster brake. I really like the look of it as it is blended into the barrel and looks like its part of the barrel.