• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

300 WM brass?

scorpion168

Sergeant
Minuteman
Mar 28, 2013
NE TX
New to loading 300WM. Since Lapua brass is not available, what's preferred? I use Lapua only for my 308. Is Winchester near the top of the list?

I would take a look at Norma and use it in my 300WM rifles. Picked up 200 pieces from Midway a couple of weeks ago.

RWS makes very good brass, and it will last a long time. Although it is sometime hard to come across.

Picked up some RWS. hate paying $2 apiece. Guess I may have to. Will look at Norma.

hate paying $2 apiece. Will look at Norma.

I bought some Norma Brass for my 300wsm. I also hated to pay $2 apiece, but I started with 50 pieces and I have loaded it 13 times. I think it is near the end and I have plans to load it once more for hunting and not worry if the brass does not come home. I don't know if their 300wm brass will last that long, but it sure makes the $2 cost feel better.

I haven't shot my RWS yet either. Will look for Norma and Winchester.
Also, do I have to use magnum primers, or are my Fed210M and BR2 good for 300WM?

I would suggest you pick mag or LR primers and develop the load with one or the other, some manuals call for a LR primer, which is what I use, others call for a mag primer.

yes in 308, never shot nosler winmag brass, am wearing out 500 FGMM brass pieces now.

If you are starting fresh , bite the bullet and get 100 Norma cases and decide from there.

I have had good luck with BHA Match. Usually can find it here on forum.

Black Hills Ammunition. I run BHA Match as well; I believe the brass is made for BHA by Winchester.

Ha! That is the exact same post I made several years ago when I was figuring it all out.
Great price for 1x fired.
Usually some pro has used it for match.

I have only used Norma Brass in my 300 WM, loading 75g of H1000, 215m fed primers (2775 fps) and I'm on my 5th firing so far with no problems.
Very consistent brass.

Hands down Norma is the most consistent for the 300 WM. I would consider Federal or Winchester tied for 2nd. As long as you run the same lots with Fed or Win, do some weight sorting (+/- 2gr) you'll be good to go.

I am getting 6, sometimes 7 firings from Federal brass made in 2007. That is loaded to the absolute max. Loaded down, a batch lasted 10 rounds.

RWS or Norma. Nosler is good too but I've heard it's just Norma brass that has been sorted with stricter tolerances. Personally I use Norma bulk packaged from midway.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Scorpion 168, my gun is a Gradous Built 300WM
Stiller Predator
#3 Bartlein
McMillian Hunter w Edge
Rem Btm Metal
Vias Break
Z6 Glass
Less than 8 lbs w Glass

I have 2 loads built, the one above is for 210 Berger VLD Hunting, its seated 2/100 off the lands and will shoot 1/4" when I do my part. Very sensitive to seating depth, liked to have never got it to shoot. Built this one just for my Elk hunts.

This gun Loves 208 A-Max - This will be my white tail load.
Load Data
208 A-Max
76.3 G H1000 2850 FPS
Fed 215M
Seated .039 off the lands
This load will shoot Sub Qtr. The A-Max is much easier to load than the Bergers, but I just couldn't get over using a target bullet on an Elk even though it would have probably done just fine.

I also tried to load 200g Accubonds and Barnes TTSX. My gun would absolutely not shoot Accubonds and the Barnes smeared Copper so bad once I got it clean I through them back on the shelf never to use again.

The Norma is well worth the money, buy them and just start loading!

Last edited:
I run Norma Brass and RWS. I have 10 reloads someof my RWS. I think Norma is a tiny bit better so I use for hunting. RWS is very strong very good. Black hills is crap IMHO.