• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

300 WSM barrel and twist rate

agsf2010

Sergeant
Supporter
Minuteman
Dec 14, 2011
Wyoming
Looking to build a 300 wsm and wanted to know what luck you have had with an aftermarket barrel in the 22-24 inch. Also wanting to shoot 165-190 gr bullets as I will be hunting for elk here in Wyoming. Let me know your thoughts on barrel and twist rate. Pictures always help with decision making. Thanks

I'm going with a 1-10" twist Bartlein and going to go to a 26" length for added velocity and weight, I plan on shooting 190gr pills.

I've got a 23 inch bartline in 11.25 twist and I am extremely happy with it. Shoots 208's at 2830 and I can get 190's going around 2960. I imagine that you I could get 175's going pretty fast and 165 class would be blistering, however the lightest bullet I would shoot would be the 185 class. If you want to shoot the 165's you'd probably be better off just shooting a 308.

I've got a 23 inch bartline in 11.25 twist and I am extremely happy with it. Shoots 208's at 2830 and I can get 190's going around 2960. I imagine that you I could get 175's going pretty fast and 165 class would be blistering, however the lightest bullet I would shoot would be the 185 class. If you want to shoot the 165's you'd probably be better off just shooting a 308.

Valid point. I haven't shot many 300's and wanted to shoot a heavier bullet as I have a 308. What type of groups are you getting with that shorter barrel and how does that effect your long distance shots?

It easily gets 1/4 moa groups at 100 (its built by GAP) and I've shot a 6 inch group at 1000 with the 208's. I can't remember off the top of my head but I want to say its around 13 mils at 1400 and did very well dispite strong winds.

I am considering a 300 win mag and I realize y'all are speaking on the WSM. Since this thread is current what are y'all thoughts on the recoil. All I hear is too much recoil from both with the WSM being a little less. So how bad are we talking? I shoot 308 and 30-06 pretty regular and looking to diversify on my next project.

It really depends on how heavy the rifle is and if you have a brake on it or not. My gun is almost 18 lbs with the scope and it has a fte brake on it. So recoil is very light in relation to the energy it delivers, however this weekend I was helping my father in law sight in his 7 pound 308 hunting rifle and it had considerably more felt recoil. With a heavy barrel with a good brake you can shoot all day if the concussion from the brake isn't a concern. On the other hand my light weight 300wm hunting rifle I want to shoot as little as possible.

I just sold a Steyr model S in 300 win. and the recoil wasn't as bad as I thought it would be. I will say that I didn't want to shoot it all day but I could shoot it a number of times with no real issue. I am not a big guy and I am hoping that this new gun will not beat me up....

I had Dennis Adams put a Harrels tactical brake on my factory Win 70, I can now punch 0.5 " groups and shoot a half day at the range with it, I shoot 190's with various powders as I am still dialing it in. I really like this wsm round, I like the mag so much I ordered a 300 WM 28 " bull barrel cut for a FTE badger brake, want to get the heavies moving a bit faster. The WSM with brake is like shooting a light loaded 06 round. I will tell you about the WM in a few weeks. When I finish burning out the wsm barrel I will go with a heavier contour , probably a rem varmint contour with the Harrels brake. I am really getting to know this wsm round since putting the brake on it and I like it a lot.

I agree wih Cotton above, when I shoot the WM as it sits now with the sporter barrel its shoots 0.5 " groups but even in a heavy Choate tactical stock it beats me up pretty good. Cant wait til that bull barrel shows up.

Last edited:
The reason I'm re-barreling my Kimber Montana 300wsm is because the recoil was brutal, at 6.5lbs it was not fun. Putting a 26" #3-4 contour on it and possibly a brake to make it more enjoyable to shoot. Hoping to be at 8.5lbs with optic. I have a 14lb 300wm with a krieger rem varm contour and it's a pussy cat.

It all boils down to weight and ergonomics

I had Dennis Adams put a Harrels tactical brake on my factory Win 70, I can now punch 0.5 " groups and shoot a half day at the range with it, I shoot 190's with various powders as I am still dialing it in. I really like this wsm round, I like the mag so much I ordered a 300 WM 28 " bull barrel cut for a FTE badger brake, want to get the heavies moving a bit faster. The WSM with brake is like shooting a light loaded 06 round. I will tell you about the WM in a few weeks. When I finish burning out the wsm barrel I will go with a heavier contour , probably a rem varmint contour with the Harrels brake. I am really getting to know this wsm round since putting the brake on it and I like it a lot.

I agree wih Cotton above, when I shoot the WM as it sits now with the sporter barrel its shoots 0.5 " groups but even in a heavy Choate tactical stock it beats me up pretty good. Cant wait til that bull barrel shows up.

I am thinking of going with the rem. varmint contour for that very reason. It is going to be a little heavy to carry up in the mountains but I figure it is worth the accuracy that I will gain by not having the gun kick the snot out of me.

Last edited:
I understand the weight relation. Not really looking to build up a heavy beast as a bench gun. Somewhere between hunter/varmint and bench/target. Leaning toward the 300 win mag vs. building up another 308. A potential hunt is always a real possibility with any of my rifles.