• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

300 wsm built by GA Precision - Stock Options???

reximus

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
Jun 9, 2012
Columbia, MO
www.maxeffective.com
I have a GA Precision built 300 wsm that I recently picked up. It sits in a McMillan (not sure which model -adj. LOP but not cheek rise) stock that was bedded when built.

I want to put the barreled action into an AICS 2.0 (or similar chassis) but <span style="font-weight: bold">don't want to lose a) value of the rifle and b) accuracy.</span>

I am wondering if I should keep the McMillan stock just in case I have to sell the rifle sometime down the road (not planning on it). Also, will it affect accuracy very much if I take the rifle out of the bedded stock and put it in a (non-bedded) chassis system?

Please let me know, and thanks for input! I really appreciate the help. If this is in the wrong place on here, please feel free to move it to a more correct location.

Re: 300 wsm built by GA Precision

Bedding is a topic of much debate. I have recently changed stocks from bedded Mac A5 to a KRG chassis with much the same v-block style as the AICS. I'm shooting consistent 5 shot groups in the .6's and I'm still getting used to the stock, and building a load, etc... insert excuses here. I had shot my Mac A5 for years and would consistently shoot in the .5-.6's at 100 yards so basically there is no difference to me.

I'm not that great a shot so it doesn't take much for a rifle's components to out shoot me!

so maybe the chassis doesn't hinder accuracy - that's what I thought and was hoping for.

a chassis will help out a lot so I can get an adjustable cheek rise. now, I won't have to significantly modify the mcmillan stock. is there any reason the keep the mcmillan stock that was specifically bedded to this action by GAP?

Why not just get an Eagle stock pack and build it up if you need it and keep the bedded stock on the rifle?

If you're starting off with this type of shooting I would hold on to the stock you have and try out others until you find something you like.

When I get to a certain point I need to be comfortable behind the rifle to optimize accuracy, but can usually shoot sub MOA with just about anything capable. To go from that to roughly 1/2 MOA just needs a lot of time behind the rifle for me.

Restock from a perfectly good McMillan to an AI? Just sounds wierd. Of course I have 2 McMillans. Try shooting it the way it is, you might like it!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: long-shot</div><div class="ubbcode-body">If you're starting off with this type of shooting I would hold on to the stock you have and try out others until you find something you like.

When I get to a certain point I need to be comfortable behind the rifle to optimize accuracy, but can usually shoot sub MOA with just about anything capable. To go from that to roughly 1/2 MOA just needs a lot of time behind the rifle for me.</div></div>
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: targaflorio</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Restock from a perfectly good McMillan to an AI? Just sounds wierd. Of course I have 2 McMillans. Try shooting it the way it is, you might like it!</div></div>
From these last two replies, my direction seems to be unclear. As I am somewhat new (although not completely), I don't have a ton of experience behind various rifle set-ups. At this point, I lack very many friends in the 'buddies who have more gear than me' department. From what I have heard, the AICS is a very reliable, accurate, and durable chassis. I haven't really heard anything negative about it other than some people who don't like the way it "feels". Because I don't already have hundreds of hours behind any other stock, I don't think I'll have to adjust to an AICS, as it would be my first real rifle to get used to anyway.

I inherited a disease from my father - I always want the best of the best when it comes to gear. I think I'll take your comments under advisement and give the McMillan a try. If I end up not liking it, I'll swap for the AICS.

I just don't want to drop $175 on the KMW loggerhead upgrade if I'm going to get rid of it eventually. I want a more permanent solution to the 'foam and tape' solution to the needed inches of cheek rise.

Hi Rex,

You should not require full skim bedding on the AICS, but our standard Templar actions are about 1/4" longer on the tenon than the Rem 700, bolt handle and side bolt release will have to be relieved and the port is slightly longer so it's not a 100% drop in compatible.

most of our Templar/AICS builds will come with recoil lug bedding only to fill the previous lug channel.

Some of our Customers do still request full skim coat of marinetex on chassis or bedding block systems--and if that buys you peace of mind--I think its well worth the cost.

regarding the KMW cheek, its not retro-fit-able--requires different stock shell.

keep the McMillian, it hard to beat it really. Another point is, if you have a rem 700 action and you buy a chassis, then want to sell the gun later. put it back it the original stock and keep the chassis, I have one chassis gun and the rest are bedded in McMillian or manners. I prefer them over chassis but thats just me. If it's properly bedded I would want to keep it aslong as I keep the rifle but again, thats just me. Another thing (to me) if I have a quality rifle that shoots good, I don't want to touch it. Good luck either way man. You can probably do well if you follow one rule, if GAP made it, DON'T TOUCH IT!!!. HAHA

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: reximus</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> I want a more permanent solution to the 'foam and tape' solution to the needed inches of cheek rise.</div></div>

A Triad Tactical stock pack is not some ghetto "foam and tape" solution. I don't see any reason to have a rifle stock with an adjustable check piece unless it's going to be a duty rifle used by several different individuals. The reason is that you can use the velcro shims that come with these stock packs to 1) give you a precise natural sight picture with the scope and 2) provide a comfortable cheek weld while 3) avoiding the extra weight that comes with all the extra adjustable cheek hardware.

This is the model that will fit either a Manners or a McMillan very nicely, but my wife uses the slightly smaller and less expensive regular version on her Manners T5 mini-chassis:

https://www.triadtactical.com/Triad-large-Stock-Pack.html

If I was you, I would skip the AICS unless you just dig the plastic like polymer feel and the thumbhole. I will always go for a Manners or a McMillan myself.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: RobertB</div><div class="ubbcode-body">keep the McMillian, it hard to beat it really...You can probably do well if you follow one rule, if GAP made it, DON'T TOUCH IT!!!. HAHA </div></div>
Point taken.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: LT JGB</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I don't see any reason to have a rifle stock with an adjustable check piece unless it's going to be a duty rifle used by several different individuals. The reason is that you can use the velcro shims that come with these stock packs to 1) give you a precise natural sight picture with the scope and 2) provide a comfortable cheek weld while 3) avoiding the extra weight that comes with all the extra adjustable cheek hardware.</div></div>
That point taken too.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: KLin@GAP</div><div class="ubbcode-body">You should not require full skim bedding on the AICS, but our standard Templar actions are about 1/4" longer on the tenon than the Rem 700, bolt handle and side bolt release will have to be relieved and the port is slightly longer so it's not a 100% drop in compatible.

most of our Templar/AICS builds will come with recoil lug bedding only to fill the previous lug channel.

regarding the KMW cheek, its not retro-fit-able--requires different stock shell.</div></div>
Please correct me if I'm wrong, but my GAP rifle was built using a Remington 700 action - so if I'm not mistaken - it should drop right into an AICS.

As for the KMW, stockdoc (on here) said he could retro-fit the McMillan stock. Maybe he didn't understand exactly what stock I was wanting to retro-fit, but I think he saw a pic, so IDK. I'll hold off that for now and try out the $50 Triad Tactical as opposed the $175 loggerhead retrofit.

This is MY rifle, and nobody else will be messing with it - so I guess I don't need the adj. cheek!

From the aforementioned posts, and from general consensus gathered throughout this thread, I think I'm going to stick with the McMillan for now. If I just can't stand it (unlikely), then I'll look at other options.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: KLin@GAP</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Some of our Customers do still request full skim coat of marinetex on chassis or bedding block systems--and if that buys you peace of mind--I think its well worth the cost.</div></div>
How much would that cost me if I ever ended up wanting to bed my GAP barreled action in an AICS (or other) chassis?

<span style="font-weight: bold">THANKS ALL</span> for so much help and advice! If there are more comments and/or suggestions, keep 'em coming! I'm soaking it all up!

Ive allways built rifles based on what works for me, not whats the BEST resale value.......

I would find someone with an AICS set up and try it out first. I along with others from what I have read did not care for the fit but a lot of people do.

just my .02