• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Hunting & Fishing 300. wsm capabilies on game like elk and moose?

Matt_3479

Sergeant
Minuteman
Oct 12, 2009
With the proper bullets, set up, scope and rifle capable of placing a shot where the shooter wants it. What is the max distance the 300. wsm should be use on game like Moose and Elk? how about game like Whitetail and Mule?

Re: 300. wsm capabilies on game like elk and moose?

The question should be more of how far can you ethically shoot and harvest the animal. The wsm has plent oomph with the right bullet and with the correct placement you have plenty range for most hunting applications.

the question was with the proper equipment, with the right gun and you know you make a shot to whatever is need everytime. Where is the point the 300. wsm should be used? I figured like 500 yards for moose and elk and 800 yards on deer.

Now can i shoot 800 yards.. no. so would i shoot 800 yards on a whitetail or mule.. NO WAY!! If i practiced out too 800 yards and was confident then would i shoot a deer at 800 yards.. probably not.

Im just wondering what is the point for the 300. wsm when it is under gunned for moose and elk. as well as deer?

lets say 180 grain accubond

Love 180 accubonds. I'm gonna guess you're good out to around 700-800 max with a 180 out of a wsm. And I'd personally like to be on the near side of 600 with that calber and bullet. Wicked combo for 99.9999999 percent of the time. Elk and moose are both big tough critters and the closer the better. The great thing about the 180 accubond is it will kill just as well at 50 yards.

Cause i bought a 300. wsm a few years back mainly for Moose, Black bear and caribou from ranges 50-300 yards. I bought the cheapest of the cheap ammo and it shot .75 moa at 100 yards and 2.25-2.5" at 300 yards. I ended up firing some more expensive bullets and the exact same results. I realized this could be my light weight carry around long range hunting rig with the results im getting. I just purchased a Vortex Viper PST 4-16x50mm FFP to sit on top of it and going to load the 180 grain accubonds. As long as she shoots good in my rifle i was planning on practicing from ranges 100-800 yards for targets and hopefully put it through the test this year. I am completely comfortable out too 300 and 400 yards. So i will be concentrating on ranges 400-600 yards for some serious practice and get a drop chart made. I was just seeing if people agreed.

With a lot of practice!!! a good load!! Good accuracy!! confident and skilled shooter!! the 300. wsm would be able to successfully harvest my whitetail and elk as long as its in 600 yards and i know i can make the shot. Of course my plan is to have it within 300 yards but you can never argue with mother nature. If the trophy of a life time sits outside of 300 yards i wanna be ready!!

Sounds like a reasonable plan to me.

The 300 WSM has a range much further than what you are wanting to shoot...

Its a hammer using 180's...

I know a guy who has killed elk at 1300+ using 180 Swift Sciroccos...

You should be fine with the 180 Accubonds at the distances you specified...

300wsm makes tracking whitetails a thing of the past. They don't make it far after being hit from my expierences.

I'm glad to see people like and feel confident in the 300. WSM. I love this caliber and in tge past few years I felt like it was under appreciated. It acheives almost the same velocitys and energy as the 300. Win mag which is a trusted big game caliber but in a smaller lighter package.

I always felt confident in my rifle and caliber but after this I feel way more confident in it's capabilities

moosehunt9-15-10027.jpg

Siras Moose hammered with a GAP .300WSM and 180gr AccuBond.

moosebullets9-19-10002.jpg

Nice pics PGS. I am thinking about trying out the Accubonds. I used swift scirroco and had a bad experience... They completely came apart, do not know why or if I got defective junk bullets but they cost me an Oryx. The bullets come apart on a bobcat @125 yds and coyote @50 looked like it got hit with a 180 gr varmint grenade instead of a scirroco.

awesome pictures man, thanks to everyone for adding to this. I think i will buy a box of both and fire them and see what offers me better results. i will probably pull towards the Nosler only cause i know i can trust them at 50 yards where there are more people that say the bergers wont work then they do with the nosler. I will keep my mind open and if the bergers shoot better i can not wait to put them to the test!

I killed a bull elk at 600 yards on the nose with a 300WSM and a 168gr TSX. I know not the ideal bullet for reduced velocities at a distance but it was a high shoulder shot (below the spine) and the SOB dropped in his tracks. Bullet completely penetrated and pushed a 1 1/2" exit on the backside and did a good job on the lungs.

Just a note on the accubonds. IF you start to notice the tips are broken off on any of them while at range or find one in the bottom of the box call Nosler. I did and they hooked me right up with a new box. Seems a moron didnt follow procedure and screwed some up. (Lot # will tell if its in the affected group which had an issue with the tips breaking.)
That being said I used the 200gr version in my RUM when i was in Africa and it performed VERY well retained weight as advertised and I recovered 3 out my 4 bullets. (Apparently an Impala has insufficient mass to stop a 200gr AB from a 300RUM from less than 50yrds).
Good luck an enjoy

Although I have no experience with the Accubond 180 grainers, I have used the 165 grainers on several elk (50-350 yards)and they have performed very well. I am very a happy camper launching them @ 3,300 fps @ 9500' ASL.

Personally, I prefer not to shoot beyond 300 yards if at all possible, although I do practice to 600+ should the NEED arise, and it has on ocassion. FWIW, I wouldn't feel undergunned at all at 600 yards on elk. <span style="text-decoration: underline">Shot placement is where it's at.</span>

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: thewileyone</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Nice pics PGS. I am thinking about trying out the Accubonds. I used swift scirroco and had a bad experience... They completely came apart, do not know why or if I got defective junk bullets but they cost me an Oryx. The bullets come apart on a bobcat @125 yds and coyote @50 looked like it got hit with a 180 gr varmint grenade instead of a scirroco. </div></div>

LOL

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: elkhuntinguide</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The 300 WSM has a range much further than what you are wanting to shoot...

Its a hammer using 180's...

I know a guy who has killed elk at 1300+ using 180 Swift Sciroccos...

You should be fine with the 180 Accubonds at the distances you specified... </div></div>

Sweet!