• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

300 WSM long action feed issues

Dill

Gray Man
Minuteman
Feb 13, 2017
I'm working on a 300 WSM long action hunting build.

-ARC Nucleus long action
-PVA 22" hunter profile barrel chambered in 300 WSM
-Hogue stock
-Accurate Mag 3.715" bottom metal and 300 WM magazine.

I've been playing with the feed lips for a couple of hours now. If I open them up to where it will feed correctly (usually) it has such a loose grip on the rounds that they will sometimes pop out on their own. If I close the lips down, the round will nose dive and when the mag only has 1 or 2 rounds left, the bolt won't pickup the case head.

The feed lips on these mags are super long for 300 WSM (as it's a WM magazine). Should I shorten the feed lips some to get this to feed correctly, or is there another mag I should use for this application?

Attachments

• IMG_2031.jpeg
    IMG_2031.jpeg
    548.5 KB · Views: 77
  • IMG_2032.jpeg
    IMG_2032.jpeg
    472.9 KB · Views: 85
Did you try tighter in the back, looser in the front. That might help tip them up on the way in.

yea, that helped some with the feeding, but then the bolt wouldn't catch the cartridge on the last couple of rounds.

Did you try tighter in the back, looser in the front. That might help tip them up on the way in.

I have a 300 WSM in a short action custom. I haven't had feed issues with using the 308 mags. Just modded the feed lips some and I was good to go. You're using magnum mags and that makes it a bit harder I suppose.

Maybe a stronger spring in the mag might help with the last few rounds.

Reactions: Dill
thanks for the feedback, and it kind of backs up my thinking that shorter feed lips might help. The spring in the mag does also seem kind of weak IMO so that's a possibility as well.

I have a 300 WSM in a short action custom. I haven't had feed issues with using the 308 mags. Just modded the feed lips some and I was good to go. You're using magnum mags and that makes it a bit harder I suppose.

Maybe a stronger spring in the mag might help with the last few rounds.

What bullet are you running in it? I have a 7-300wsm built on a long action it mag feeds great. But its also throated out long to run 180 hybrids. That might be helping it not nosedive.

@Saskflatlander, what mags? The ammo I was testing with was loaded with 180 grain Barnes bullets of some sort.

Looking at the pic I’d recommend bending the Feed lips a bit in the front to get a slightly nose up look.
300 WM mags are set for a case with case with more body taper.

For my 7-300wsm i was running a mdt mag in 300winmag. But my over all length on my loaded rounds is 3.250". But if your touching the lands with your bullet seated that far in judging off the photo. I would suggest getting it throated out. Then you will take advantage of the long action and it should help get the nose of the bullet going up the feed ramp before it can nose dive.