• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

300 WSM looking for a good bullet for white tails

XTR

F-TR junkie
Minuteman
  • Sep 4, 2010
    Lebanon, NH
    www.onlinehumidor.com
    First, I know, the rifle is overkill for whitetails, but it is what my buddy has.

My hunting buddy and I have been talking about reloading for his rifle for a while. I think he's finally seen the light about the moly coated stuff he was shooting (though honestly his rifle probably has less than 100 rounds down the tube so I doubt that there is a moly problem)

Anyhow, he has an A-bolt 300WSM that I'll probably make boolits for by this fall. Since he's never going to shoot over 400 yds having something with a super BC isn't important. We're still discussing how much MV he wants. I'm trying to convince him that he doesn't need to load it like he's going after 1500# elk to shoot 200# deer. I'm thinking something in the 150gn range of hunting bullets. I'd though about A-max's but I hear too many stories of them disintegrating w/o penetrating if they hit something solid.

So, looking for something that is not heavy for class, that has good terminal performance, is accurate, and can stand up to loading in a WSM if he decides he wants to load it hot.

Re: 300 WSM looking for a good bullet for white tails

If he's not looking to also target shoot with the load or go long range with it, get something off the shelf. Look at the Winchester Ballistic Silvertip in 150 gr or 180 gr. I've seen them do very impressive things on whitetail.

If you are going for sheer penetration, one of the Barnes bullets will work well. If you are looking for explosive expansion, the Nosler Ballistic tips are great. I have used both and they work in different ways but they both kill deer really dead.

I'm going to recommend the Nosler Accubond bullets. I've had GREAT success with them on deer at various ranges, inside of 100, all the way out to right close to 500 yards. They stay together well, and are more on the "penetrating" side. I typically shoot 180 grain though, not the 150's. I'm sure the 150's would hold together, and might give a bit more expansion, which is something you may desire. I've never had one "grenade" in .300 winmag or .300 WSM, even at high velocities. The Nosler Ballistc Tip bullets WILL blow up, lol. The AB's have a decent BC, you can usually get them to group tight, I've never met a rifle that you couldn't get a good load with them and still be at or under magazine length. I recommend them to lots of people, and they've just always been a reliable bullet for me. You make take a look at them.

I'd recommend a good old Hornady 180gr interlock.
    1. cheap.
    2. easy to find.
    3. will not need alot of speed to work.
    3A. a milder load should be easy on you barrel.
    4. can definitely be shot much further if needed to.
    5. can be used for bigger/tougher game if needed.

My vote is for the a 180 grain SGK. A soft point boat tail design will work well for his purposes. It also has a reasonable BC and is capable of longer distances.

I use 180 accubonds for everything from deer up to elk with very good results. They also group well in my rifle.

190 berger VLD worked great on a mule deer for me. If he is not shooting distance id look at one of the light barnes tsx, Im not sure if they still make it but a 130 would shoot flat and hit hard.

I use 165gr SGK BTHP extremely accurate in all my 30 cal's including several WSM's. And 400 yds is well within range
    smile.gif
    Goodluck in your search and with whatever you decide on! I used it extensively on African Plains Game so I think it would do well on Whitetail.

Aloha!

Another vote for the GameKings. I loaded some 150 grainers for a buddies .300 WSM and it performed well. I personnally hunt with the 180 gr GK in my 300, they will get the job done, no worries. We've done some load work with the 168 gr Barnes TTSX and they are pretty accurate, but have yet to try on game.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: coldboremiracle</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I'd recommend a good old Hornady 180gr interlock.
    1. cheap.
    2. easy to find.
    3. will not need alot of speed to work.
    3A. a milder load should be easy on you barrel.
    4. can definitely be shot much further if needed to.
    5. can be used for bigger/tougher game if needed. </div></div>

+1 on the Interlock. I used a 180gr on a Mule Doe at 100 yards with great results. Only thing I don't like is the flat base for handloading.

I would not use the Silvertips if you are trying to save meat. I used a 150gr on a Mule Buck at about 225 yards. It was quartering toward me so I hit it in the front shoulder. Deer dropped but the bullet blew up inside ruining the front shoulder. Did its job I guess but the only exit wound was a tiny hole with very little blood loss.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Rntobey</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I use 180 accubonds for everything from deer up to elk with very good results. They also group well in my rifle. </div></div>

I'll agree, accubonds group well in all of my rifles and do a very good job on game.

I've been using Nosler 180 gr. Bal tips in mine

The Nosler Ballistic tips are basically almost the same bullet as the "silver tips" you were shooting. Winchester and Nosler came together on the "combined technology" bullets, which to me always looked like the "silver tip" bullets. They expand quite violently compared to the Accubonds. If you go to the website, you can see a "slice" of each bullet cut in half. In my experience of actually sawing them in half, that's what they look like. The accubond has a slightly thicker and heavier jacket, and holds together better. You also don't get jacket/core seperation in the accubond because it's bonded.

http://www.nosler.com/Bullets/Accubond.aspx <<accubond
    http://www.nosler.com/Bullets/Ballistic-Tip.aspx <<ballistic tip

If you'd like, I'll be happy to PM you a photo of a coyote's head hit with a 180 grain Nosler ballistic tip from a .300 winmag at 300 yards. The damage is devastating, and it will show you how violetly they expand. You've basically already seen how they expand though in the "silvertip" ammo, or it sounds very similar. In my experience when the BT's hit bone, they "grenade" pretty well. The accubonds like to stay together and punch through.

I'm shooting 150 SGKs in my 308 hunting rifle and I've got a box of 165 SGK BTHPs that I've never gotten around to trying out. I've heard that the guys who shoot 168 SMKs like the 165s because they have pretty much the same POIs (haven't confirmed that) but I personally shoot to 1000 so I've always used the 175 SMKs.

Maybe I'll load him up some of both and see what he likes.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: XTR</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I'm shooting 150 SGKs in my 308 hunting rifle and I've got a box of 165 SGK BTHPs that I've never gotten around to trying out. I've heard that the guys who shoot 168 SMKs like the 165s because they have pretty much the same POIs (haven't confirmed that) but I personally shoot to 1000 so I've always used the 175 SMKs.

Maybe I'll load him up some of both and see what he likes. </div></div>

Yes, in our 30 cal's the 165's and 168's almost have exact POI in some they are exactly the same just my experience.

The 180gr NBT's out of a 300saum did in a large bodied whitetail at 140 yards for me. 30cal entrance right behind the shoulder, quarter size hole through the heart. Exit was the size of a 50 cent piece through the far shoulder(quartering away). The whole chest cavity was black cherry jello and the deer dropped in his tracks. Seemed like the bullet broke up through the ribs but continued through due to the high velocity. I have since started using 235gr Barnes in 375 diameter converting to the penetration/ controlled expansion method of killing. Either way works good for deer, they are easy to kill.

Nosler Ballistic Tip is PLENTY for whitetail, though if you're planning on shoulder shots I'd recommend the Accubond over the BT.

168 barnes ttsx, 130 barnes ttsx, or 180 nosler partition, they all will put a hurt on any size white tail with that caliber. They are all accurate and penetrate very well. Its amazing to watch how hard that 130 barnes ttsx bullet hits a deer when using 300wm, 300saum, 300wsm.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Tomcat088</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The Nosler Ballistic tips are basically almost the same bullet as the "silver tips" you were shooting. Winchester and Nosler came together on the "combined technology" bullets, which to me always looked like the "silver tip" bullets. They expand quite violently compared to the Accubonds. If you go to the website, you can see a "slice" of each bullet cut in half. In my experience of actually sawing them in half, that's what they look like. The accubond has a slightly thicker and heavier jacket, and holds together better. You also don't get jacket/core seperation in the accubond because it's bonded.

http://www.nosler.com/Bullets/Accubond.aspx <<accubond
    http://www.nosler.com/Bullets/Ballistic-Tip.aspx <<ballistic tip

If you'd like, I'll be happy to PM you a photo of a coyote's head hit with a 180 grain Nosler ballistic tip from a .300 winmag at 300 yards. The damage is devastating, and it will show you how violetly they expand. You've basically already seen how they expand though in the "silvertip" ammo, or it sounds very similar. In my experience when the BT's hit bone, they "grenade" pretty well. The accubonds like to stay together and punch through. </div></div>

The Silvertip and the Ballistic Silvertips are two different bullets.

The Silverips are thought to be more explosive than the Ballistic Silvertips.

Another vote for the nosler 180 accubonds here. Very accurate and I use it for everything from Coues Whitetail to elk.