• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

300 WSM or 300 PRC?

veezer

Sergeant
Supporter
Minuteman
Feb 6, 2007
Hazard, Kentucky
My old 300 WSM has given up the ghost and it's time to rebarrel and I wanted to hear some opinions on where I might go with the next build.
I am using a Stiller long action with a mag bolt face from the original rifle with an internal box magazine. The intention of this rifle is to hunt with it, so it will more than likely be sporting something along the lines of a light palma 24" barrel with a brake and not be used as a match rifle. I plan on using 212 ELD-X bullets so I want to make sure to get the most out of whatever chambering I go with. The previous chambering had nearly 0 freebore and I was never able to achieve what I wanted as far as speed out of that barrel.

So, the question is which would better suit my needs as a long range hunting rifle...the 300 WSM or 300 PRC? And which one would be easier to find components for? It seems like in the last few years that WSM brass has been hard to find and since the PRC is a newer cartridge, would that make it a better option because the components might be easier to get? I had been using IMR 4350 in the wsm and it seems like that has been a little easier to find lately than Retumbo or H1000 that I would need for the PRC. So both have drawbacks

What do you guys think?

Just looking at the Hornady factory offerings would steer me to the PRC among those two. 1. Factory ammo is a thing and 2. the MV isn't exactly smoking from the PRC. If you're looking to go heavy/long, the PRC just seems like a better choice.

Just made the same decision with my custom 7 Mag.....barrel was about toast so going with the 300PRC and a new PROOF carbon barrel.

Of the 2 you mentioned, the 300PRC seems to be the ticket these days......

This a good thread, i was thinking of having a rifle of mine rechambered in 300PRC over a 300WM i have that about due too..and im on the fence too...
??

-Reagan

I was here a few weeks ago. I went 300 wsm. It’s a very easy round to load for and if built correctly you can get the heavies shooting nice. In the end I built mine for hunting and in the end the animal won’t know the difference and at the ranges I will take a shot from it wouldn’t make a difference. Also I’m very tired of getting set up for a new caliber.

Last edited:
Reactions: Two36 and XJGPN
I’d go 300PRC because of its speed with 225/230’s
Purely a non hunting opinion.

Last edited:
I’m building it around 208 Amax for LR Texas WT and Axis/Fallow and 210 accubond for Nilgai and hardier game like gemsbok, elk, oryx, etc. Have run the same package on 300 WM and it worked great for everything in NA that I can hunt or have funds to hunt. My list doesn’t include brown/kodiak bear or moose unless I miraculously score a Maine tag one of these days. The 210 accubond has taken plenty of heavy bodied rocky elk and South Texas Nilgai.

Stay with the 300WSM, what it will cost you to get into the PRC
Or others will be money down the drain. Your WSM is a great cartridge. SAVE your money and just get a new barrel spun up and have fun.

What if the decision was to stay with factory available ammo offerings?, basically you Dont handload,what is best?: 300WSM, 300WM or 300PRC?
??

-Reagan

What if the decision was to stay with factory available ammo offerings?, basically you Dont handload,what is best?: 300WSM, 300WM or 300PRC?
??

-Reagan
If it’s purely a hunting rifle you’d be fine sticking to 300wsm or wm, I’d personally pick wsm of the two for that.

I have a 300wm thats primarily a long range target rifle, that occasionally sees some deer hunting. I handload 225gr ELDs for it, and when it comes time to rebarrel I’m going with the 300prc (or a 7mm-prc. 190gr Berger LRHT at 3100 is nuts). If you ever plan on using it as a long range target rifle the PRC will have better factory ammo for that, plus plenty of hunting options. I like that the PRC is setup for loading longer projectiles, and at better speeds than the WM, plus without the belt. When I get a PRC I’m looking at handloading the 245gr Berger’s, unless it’s the 7mm.

If it’s purely a hunting rifle you’d be fine sticking to 300wsm or wm, I’d personally pick wsm of the two for that.

I have a 300wm thats primarily a long range target rifle, that occasionally sees some deer hunting. I handload 225gr ELDs for it, and when it comes time to rebarrel I’m going with the 300prc (or a 7mm-prc. 190gr Berger LRHT at 3100 is nuts). If you ever plan on using it as a long range target rifle the PRC will have better factory ammo for that, plus plenty of hunting options. I like that the PRC is setup for loading longer projectiles, and at better speeds than the WM, plus without the belt. When I get a PRC I’m looking at handloading the 245gr Berger’s, unless it’s the 7mm.
Thanks, actually I dont do any hunting with that particular rifle anymore and haven't done up any 300WM handloads in short while either and thats kind of why I was leaning 300PRC if I rebarrel it. I like that the 300PRC is actually factory made ammo, just havent got to used it but keep reading about it..alot

-Reagan