• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

300 WSM Questions

head2h2o

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
Oct 21, 2008
Houston, TX
I am looking to build a 300 WSM that will be used for thumping hogs at longer distances. Darn varmints. Anyway, I have settled on a couple of things, but have also come up with a couple of questions. Here is what I have settled on.

300 WSM
26" Krieger barrel in Rem Varmint contour
1 in 10 twist
Timney trigger
Remington 700 action

Here is what I am not sure about at this point. Would I be better off with a long or short action? I ask this question because I am concerned that with the short action, I might not be able to load the bullets out to optimal length. Am I wrong about this? I don't want to use a detachable magazine unless it is flush with the under-surface of the stock. I am thinking Badger M4 right now, but again am open to options.

Finally stocks. I want to go with a Bell and Carlson or HS Precision on this rig. I know there has been some conversation given to these 2 and the pros and cons, but I would like some opinions for these given the usage. I am focusing on either the HS Precision M24 Tactical model or the Bell and Carlson tactical medalist A1. Which ever one I go with, I would like to add a Karsten cheek piece also.

However this rig comes together, it will have Nightforce glass on it. Probably 3.5x15 for this one.

All reasonable and logical input is appreciated.

Re: 300 WSM Questions

I would like to see what opinions were on the .300 wsm. I have a few rifles chambered in .300 WSM, from factory guns to full blown GAP builds. The ease of being able to shoot tiny groups with a WSM vs.308 is not in even in the same league. Is there a learning curve from shooting a standard caliber to a magnum? I'm a huge fan of .30 cal but these .300 wsms are making me wonder.

If I were going short action I would give Glen Seekins a call (seekins precision). I like the long action V-Bull DBM. I have a 7x300WSM and they feed great out of the single feed AI mags. Plenty of room. I had my reamer set up to allow max case capacity so those 180 Bergers were seated way out and I still had a little room in the mag. My buddy is building a 300wsm with the V-Bull bottom metal for the same reason. He plans on trying the 190JLK and 210's and he will have plenty of room to do it.

<span style="font-family: 'Comic Sans MS'">The WSM was developed to give .300 Win. Mag. velocities (more or less) in a short action. If a compact action is one of your criteria, then there you are. If you don't care about the length of the action and/or overall length, then just go with a .300 Win. Mag. in a standard or magnum action. There's probably alot more brass floating around for the Win. Mag. than the WSM.

Also - your chamber and throat length is more a function of the chamber reaming and barrel install than the action length, I believe. I, of course, defer to more knowledgeable members. </span>

I've got to 2nd Kemosabe on this one. If you are thinking long action, then get at 300win. If you go short action, the Wyatt box deal does work for 3.0." You could go with a model 70 action and have 3.0" without mods.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: head2h2o</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I am looking to build a 300 WSM that will be used for thumping hogs at longer distances. Darn varmints. Anyway, I have settled on a couple of things, but have also come up with a couple of questions. Here is what I have settled on.

300 WSM
26" Krieger barrel in Rem Varmint contour
1 in 10 twist
Timney trigger
Remington 700 action

Here is what I am not sure about at this point. Would I be better off with a long or short action? I ask this question because I am concerned that with the short action, I might not be able to load the bullets out to optimal length. Am I wrong about this? I don't want to use a detachable magazine unless it is flush with the under-surface of the stock. I am thinking Badger M4 right now, but again am open to options.

Finally stocks. I want to go with a Bell and Carlson or HS Precision on this rig. I know there has been some conversation given to these 2 and the pros and cons, but I would like some opinions for these given the usage. I am focusing on either the HS Precision M24 Tactical model or the Bell and Carlson tactical medalist A1. Which ever one I go with, I would like to add a Karsten cheek piece also.

However this rig comes together, it will have Nightforce glass on it. Probably 3.5x15 for this one.

All reasonable and logical input is appreciated. </div></div>

Head2,

Do you have donor actions available, or are you starting from scratch? If starting from scratch, you might be better off with a custom action. When I started adding up the costs, I was. Stiller makes a short action with a Remington footprint, specifically for the WSM line. No problems loading my Predator with rounds 2.95" OAL.

Keep us posted,
-Chris

Have you thought of using a howa 1500? I will also be hunting pigs at medium range.

RH40-J300wsm.jpg

Specs are as follows........

Action: Howa 1500 short
Cal: .300WSM
Bolt: Fluted. TiAlN coated
Trigger: Howa tuned
Magazine System: Roedale / AICS
Barrel: Lothar Walther, Stainless, Match
Profile: BR Light Varmint
Length: 22”, 1 in 10” twist, Roedale break (Break not fitted in photo)
Finish: Matt black
Stock: Manners MCS-T, left & right flush cups
Color: Five color flecktarn
Bedding: Alloy pillars & Devcon
Mount: Roedale 20MOA Picatinny rail
Rings: Badger USMC M40A3 (306-75) (not fitted in photo)
Optics: Schmidt & Bender PMII 3 - 12 x 50 Military (Zenith mounted in photo above)

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Kemosabe</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><span style="font-family: 'Comic Sans MS'">The WSM was developed to give .300 Win. Mag. velocities (more or less) in a short action.

Well, in actual practice, less

If a compact action is one of your criteria, then there you are. If you don't care about the length of the action and/or overall length, then just go with a .300 Win. Mag. in a standard or magnum action. There's probably alot more brass floating around for the Win. Mag. than the WSM.

Also - your chamber and throat length is more a function of the chamber reaming and barrel install than the action length, I believe. I, of course, defer to more knowledgeable members. </span> </div></div>

Yeah, +1 more on what Horses ass said (Sorry Kemosabe, but you've got to see the Far Side cartoon!)

Welcome Kemosabe :)

I went through a similar situation. I had to make up my mind on how heavy of a bullet I would go. However since I was going to use a Premier Reticles modified Leupold, I had the BDC in hand for a 190 SMK.

After reading Mike Millers report on the Rocket, I went with a short action. Similar rifle only on a Surgeon in an A5 built by George himself. Id does shoot similar to the 308 he built for me. Similar specs but in 308. Here the link to Mike Millers review.

http://www.snipercountry.com/InReviews/RocketRock.asp

Well, after listening to a few comments here, it seems that I am probably better off going with the long action and just bumping up to the 300 WM. I don't want to use a custom for this venture, especially since I have access to donor actions. Does anyone have any opinion about the HS Precision stock for this, or do you have a better option? I don't want to stick this in a McMillan A5. That is too nice of a stock and too much coin for what I plan to do with this gun. I intend to run this gun through the paces in the field and I know that it will see some abuse at some point.

Since I am going with the 300WM, will I need to worry about the mag box length if I am looking at shooting rounds up in the 210 gr range?

I run the 210 bergers out of my 300wsm. They are loaded 2.97" and fit very nice in my Williams bottom metal. It is a M70 WSM action though. Manners is also another place to look at stocks, not as expensive as Mc but very strong and stiff. I would think the harder you plan on using the gun the better stock you would want to put on it.

If you are looking to use a HS stock or others the HS mag system will drop into the stock and be flush but you will have to tune your mags to feed properly.

Go with short action the 300WSM was made for it, I load my Berger 185vld's at 2.90 and they fit fine and despite what some may say you don't have to load Bergers into the lands to get them to shoot.

There are plenty of components out there and factory ammo that shoots good, esp for hunting purposes like you are going to use it. Should do really well against PIGS!!

Everything else you have made good selections, oh!! make sure you put a brake on it!! Badger thruster works great!!!

I have a 300 WSM LA in an HS Precision Stock and shoot 208 AMAX bullets at apprx. 2900 FPS. It shoots lights out. Certainly understand those saying why not just got with the 300 Win Mag if going LA, but I sure am happy with mine.