• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

300 WSM ?'s

marshjo

Private
Minuteman
Nov 7, 2010
Monroe, La
I am looking at buying a 300 wsm in the near future. I am trying to find out what "you think" the best out of the box rifle is as far as accuracy. I am kind of a remington guy, but trying to keep my options open. I am looking at shooting factory load for now, because I do not have a reloader, maybe later on if I get time to start reloading. So, please let me know what rifle will shoot best with factory loads.. I am looking for a 1000 yrd or less elk/mule/whitetail gun. I realize to get out to 1000 I will need hand loads, I will shoot -600 until I can get to that level. I am basically looking for a big brother for my 308. If anyone has any groups they can show with the 300wsm in factory loads feel free to share..

To recap, I am looking for a 300wsm rifle to shoot factory load at least 1moa @ 100 yards. Looking for $1,000.00 +- 500
Any help is appreciated.

Also, if this info is somewhere else, please point me in that direction, I used the search option and went back 12 pages, then I got lazy and just posted it...
Thanks!

Re: 300 WSM ?'s

for 1500 bucks, find a wasted 223 WSSM (they are cheap) and have a "smith" pop a quality barrel on and chamber it in 300 WSM... you will have enough money left over to buy all the reloading stuff you need... My .02

I bought a stock Remington 700 in 300 WSM. Initially had trouble getting it to shoot well but now after about 200 rounds easily shoots MOA. Have shot it out to 1000yards with great results. I did put a manners stock on it, which I really like a lot. Good luck.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: mark42quin</div><div class="ubbcode-body">for 1500 bucks, find a wasted 223 WSSM (they are cheap) and have a "smith" pop a quality barrel on and chamber it in 300 WSM... you will have enough money left over to buy all the reloading stuff you need... My .02 </div></div>

Not so easy.

The Winchester WSSM action is an odd ball, shorter action than the ones used for the WSM. It won't work with the WSM nor can you find many quality stocks inletted for it.

Tikka, Savage, Weatherby sub-moa Vanguard, Thompson Center, take your pick. All can shoot sub-moa. But if you like Remingtons and plan to modify it in the future stick with Remington.

I got a great deal on a Sako 85 stainless synthetic in 300wsm that was on clearance and it shoots one hole groups with factory Federal ammo loaded with Barnes TSX bullets. But I just got really lucky that this particular rifle and load shoot so well.

I'd watch for a FN SPR in 300WSM with the chrome lined barrel. Have one that shoots 1/2 moa with 180gr Winchester Fail Safe hunting ammo. Have not done any load development for it yet, but very happy with 1/2moa using hunting ammo. Plus, having the chrome lined barrel you will not shoot out the barrel.

You don't happen to be a lefty do you?

Savage makes some really good out of the box stuff. I'd look there before I looked at a stock Remington. The chances of getting a "shooter" (MOA or better) seem to be in the favor of Savage, especially without spending more than a grand.

I bought a Savage model 12 in 300WSM. It shoots 155, 175, and 190gr sub moa right out of the box.

I have a Sako A7 in 300wsm and I have no complaints. It is a very light gun for a factory offering and yet mine shoots better than a couple of customs I own, easily sub 1/2 moa at 100yds. It is a nice gun to carry all day and if your hunting elk you will learn to like that.

For a wee bit more than your budget you can get into a Sako Finnlight 85 in 300WSM.
I love mine - most bullets easy under 1 moa - I have two right at .3
Very light - my favorite hunting rig.
Mike

You could send your 308 and have smith ream in to 300WSM and true it with PTG bolt.

Win 70 offers longer mag box then the Rem 700. Plenty, though not as many, aftermarket parts for the 70.

Coyote w/laminate stock would be my first choice
Coyote Lite would be in the mix.

If you want to spend a bit more, Kimber Montana 8400 is solid choice.

I would second the opinion, FN SPR. Ready to go out of the box. Based on the M70 action, which in WSM is longer than short action.

s

My browning a-bolt m-1000 eclipse groups 11/16" at 100 yards out if the box with winchester super x 180 gr. I just had rifle bedded and got some better ammo, when I get a chance shoot it I will post results. When I get handloading this rifle will be easily sub 1/2 moa.

I own a Browning A-Bolt 300. wsm topped with EGW 20 moa base, burris xtr rings and a vortex viper pst 4-16x50mm for my light weight long range rifle. Shoots about 3/4 moa out too 600 yards

I have a Rem 700 SPS and a Win 70 Supershadow in 300 wsm. Both were good shooters off the shelf. Replacing the factory synthetic stock made a big improvement.

FN SPR or the HOWA 1500 (aka Weatherby Vanguard) platform.

Some of the FN's come factory with MCM stocks, so that will save some hassle right there.

I have a Rem SPS in 300 WSM that I replaced the stock & trigger before I shot it. It will hold 5/8" with my handloads -Nosler 180 Bal Tip over 64gr IMR 4350 with a Rem 9 1/2 primer if I do my part.

Thank you for all the advice guys, I think i am going to just get Louisiana precision rifles a try. Little more money, but I think it will be worth it..

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: J.Marsh</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Thank you for all the advice guys, I think i am going to just get Louisiana precision rifles a try. Little more money, but I think it will be worth it.. </div></div>

Now that's a great idea. That will only hurt one time, and make you smile for a long time. Good choice.

Might also consider a .30/284, although a wildcat it is basically identical to the .30-06 but shorter case enables a number of benefits...

#1, Hodgdon's 26th manual shows interchangeable data w/06
#2, Better flexibility for loading heavy and long VLD bullets seating them to bottom of neck or just into shoulder
#3, Comparable to a short .300win mag or almost same as .30-338
#4, 35deg neck means very minimal brass flow so not much trimming
#5, Magnum barrel life most likely sub 1000 rds for best accuracy, the .30-06 has 5K barrel life...
#6, Easy neck up wildcat
#7, Greater magazine capacity than magnums, likely have capacity of 5 in a Win 70 or Rem 700
#8, Case body is only .10 smaller than diameter of standard belted magnums so no worries about opening up receiver rails or other gunsmithing work concerns. Standard Long Action is all you need.

Compare the ballistics and benefits. Barrel life might be of no concern, if not, have fun and order 2 barrels when build your rifle.

If really interested in Longrange performance, compare the BC of the .30cal bullets with those of .338 match bullets. Hornady and Berger offer some very high BC bullets. A .338/284 gets you those and long barrel life with data interchangeability from .338-06.

If you can shoot the highest BC (ballistic coefficient) bullets, you don't have to choose velocity over barrel life. Doing a decent barrel will cost you $600 and up to a year's wait.