• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes 300 yard optics (1st Post)

Dont'_Tread_On_Me

Private
Minuteman
Jun 1, 2010
New Jersey
Hello,

I have been doing a lot of reading on here about optics and it seems as if the general consensus is when it comes to glass you get what you pay for. It seems as if most of these comment are in regards to 500+ yards shooting.
My current range only has a 300 yard range for long range shooting. Will a cheaper scope ($200) be suitable for this range. I know it won't be as good as something else, but will it be suitable for shooting 300 yards? I just don't have the funds for much more than that at this time, and would really like to try some long range shooting.

If yes, what do you recommend?

Thanks

Re: 300 yard optics (1st Post)

Well for most guys on here 300 and less is short range. If you want to see bullet holes at 300 yards with a 200 Dollar budget not sure how well you will be able to achieve that but really a scope with around 10X magnification would be plenty for that range. I personally like more but it would do.

For that budget the scope I would be familar with that I have owned would be a Nikon Prostaff. Not expensive and it will get you to 300yds.

No scope in the $200 dollar range is going to have great clarity. But you can get the necessary magnification.

With shoot-n-c style targets, a scope in the $200 ish range will let you see hits at 300 yards. Look at Konuspot 80mm lens, they are well regarded and just over your budget at $220

No one recommanding the SS in either 16 or 20X? Both go 300 easy and you (almost)can't lose money on one. By the way a 20x will show you 30cal holes at 300yds on not so hot days
grin.gif

Actually - I don't agree with your statement. There are several inexpensive scopes that get the job done (Super
Sniper, Millet, Falcon, Wotac etc.)

The expensive scopes will have better glass, durability, and tactile quality. However, not everyone needs the best (just want the best)

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: bfm1851</div><div class="ubbcode-body">No one recommanding the SS in either 16 or 20X? Both go 300 easy and you (almost)can't lose money on one. By the way a 20x will show you 30cal holes at 300yds on not so hot days
grin.gif
</div></div>

I definitely recommend NOT getting the 20x. I had one for my 22lr and the optics were very poor. Difficult to see holes at 100 yards. I posted on here and someone from SWFA said that the 20x isn't as good optically as the others because a 2.1mm exit pupil tends to do that (42mm divided by 20x). They ended up swapping my 20x for a 10x, and its much clearer. I can't comment on the 16x.

I would look at the Vortex Diamondback scopes. They fit your budget, magnifaction for that range, and a bulletproof warranty. Give Scott at liberty or swfa a call and see what they can do. I bought the 4-12x for my wife's rifle a while back and love it. Very nice scope for short range work. Also like the SS10x.

Mike

SS 10x42,if all you plan on is 300 yrd shooting if this is going to be a multi purpose scope (hunting target,etc)go with a variable.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: TargetTerror</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: bfm1851</div><div class="ubbcode-body">No one recommanding the SS in either 16 or 20X? Both go 300 easy and you (almost)can't lose money on one. By the way a 20x will show you 30cal holes at 300yds on not so hot days
grin.gif
</div></div>

I definitely recommend NOT getting the 20x. I had one for my 22lr and the optics were very poor. Difficult to see holes at 100 yards. I posted on here and someone from SWFA said that the 20x isn't as good optically as the others because a 2.1mm exit pupil tends to do that (42mm divided by 20x). They ended up swapping my 20x for a 10x, and its much clearer. I can't comment on the 16x. </div></div>

Why would you even waste your money or time putting a 20x scope on a 22lr ?!?! That seems extreme overkill. Of course its hard to see 22lr holes at 100 yards! Thats a small bullet
wink.gif
!!

I got lucky yesterday and picked up a 5-15x40 Bushnell Elite 3200 with tactical knobs at Cabella's in the bargan department for $250.00. An Employee originally bought the scope and never mounted it and went for a more expensive scope. This was my good fortune. PAT.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: PAT</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I got lucky yesterday and picked up a 5-15x40 Bushnell Elite 3200 with tactical knobs at Cabella's in the bargan department for $250.00. An Employee originally bought the scope and never mounted it and went for a more expensive scope. This was my good fortune. PAT. </div></div>

Good snag...

For casual shooting out to 300 yards, I'd recommend the "standard" 3-9x40 hunting scope available from a wide variety of manufacturers. I think the Nikon Buckmaster line is a good deal at around $200+ and for your style of shooting it will be plenty good.