• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

3006 load 155gr

bdubmkg

Private
Minuteman
Apr 26, 2023
Texas
So did a new load with for my 3006. I previously used HXP brass, with H4895 and a pulled 147 gr that I loaded up as cannon fodder for my garand. Grouped well at 100, crap past that.

did the normal brass prep, made sure they were all same head stamp and date, then used my powder dropper for precise power charge. Started at 46gr and up to 49.5 in half gr increments. These were all loaded with hornady 155gr ELD match. All loaded to book OAL specs

I can't say I'm impressed. Each was a 5 shot group and it seemed like I'd have 3 good ones, then a few flyers. Other than 1 shot that I knew I threw. At this point I'm thinking it's just inconsistency with the brass because the groups were consistent with the flyers.

Any insight here? The 48.5 and 49.5 look promising, but I started having a sticky bolt at 49 and up but the primers still looked good and round.

Attachments

• 20231017_121656.jpg
    20231017_121656.jpg
    435.2 KB · Views: 53
  • 20231017_121654.jpg
    20231017_121654.jpg
    449.7 KB · Views: 47
Very small sample to judge anything .

Last edited:
Try different seating depths, try different bullets, try different powders.
Developing a load isnt a one stop ride, its a series of experiments to see what works best.

Reactions: supercorndogs
How does this rifle shoot with quality match ammunition?
I've never shot purchased ammo through this rifle. I previously posted about my 147gr bulk ammo loaded with h4895 for the garand under the hornady service rifle; results which were good at 100 yards, but those were cheap rounds made for my garand. The target on the left was that ammo.

Attachments

• 20230928_114448.jpg
    20230928_114448.jpg
    771.9 KB · Views: 37
Try different seating depths, try different bullets, try different powders.
Developing a load isnt a one stop ride, its a series of experiments to see what works best.
I'm trying to stick with what I have right now. I have a bunch of 4895, IMR4320, and A4350 that I may try next.

Hodgdon does not list you bullet, but this is for a 155 . Maybe good ole 4320 will shine ?

1697889922456.png

Nice rifle! Looking at the targets you have posted I'm going to comment on what I see as possible issues. I don't know your background and haven't seen you shoot. You may not have any of these but just in case I'm putting them out here for consideration. I'm also assuming you have eliminated any scope /mount issues.

In the first set, I'm going to assume you are shooting round robin (1 shot at a load then next shot at a different load). What I suspect in this case is the shooter is not getting set up consistently on the rifle. It may be rear bag placement, shoulder pocket issue, slapping the trigger, or cheek weld. I also see you are on a concrete bench so bipod bounce could be an issue. I always have a piece of carpet under mine. If these are not shot round robin, then the issues may still be a problem depending on your system.

In the second set the Garand rounds appear to be walking horizontally which might be setup. The other target looks like two groups. Slightly different setup?

When I hit a wall with getting consistency I usually ask some I know is a capable shooter to shoot my rifle. It does two things, shows me whether the issue is load or shooter, and it allows me to watch the rifle and see what it is doing.

Reactions: RegionRat
Try your other two powders since you're shooting a bolt gun. They may work well. It's worth a try. I would save that 4895 for the Garand.

Nice rifle! Looking at the targets you have posted I'm going to comment on what I see as possible issues. I don't know your background and haven't seen you shoot. You may not have any of these but just in case I'm putting them out here for consideration. I'm also assuming you have eliminated any scope /mount issues.

In the first set, I'm going to assume you are shooting round robin (1 shot at a load then next shot at a different load). What I suspect in this case is the shooter is not getting set up consistently on the rifle. It may be rear bag placement, shoulder pocket issue, slapping the trigger, or cheek weld. I also see you are on a concrete bench so bipod bounce could be an issue. I always have a piece of carpet under mine. If these are not shot round robin, then the issues may still be a problem depending on your system.

In the second set the Garand rounds appear to be walking horizontally which might be setup. The other target looks like two groups. Slightly different setup?

When I hit a wall with getting consistency I usually ask some I know is a capable shooter to shoot my rifle. It does two things, shows me whether the issue is load or shooter, and it allows me to watch the rifle and see what it is doing.
So your assumption on the setup may be correct as I've only shot with this rifle twice now. I know the scope is solid but maybe the chassis screws came a little loose. The target picture with the two targets is not from the same rifle. The left target is the 3006 and the right is my 6.5cm.
I shot this test group with all 5 of the loads in one setting. Shot my other rifles to let this one cool, then went to the next group. Continued that through all the groups.
When I get back I'll check the screws.

Unfortunately, IMR 4320 has been discontinued. It's a great 30/06 powder. If you want a replacement for it in the future take a look at AA4064. It used to be made in the Czech Republic, but is now made at the same General Dynamics plant at Valleyfield, Ontario Canada where the current IMR powders are made.

I bought a bunch of the Czech sourced AA4064, it's good powder, but i'm almost out. I used it in 308 Win. and heavy 223 loads.

I recently bought a # of the new Canadian sourced AA4064. It is shorter grained than IMR 4064, very close to 4320. It flows better than IMR 4064 in a powder hopper. Haven't tested it yet.

It's another option for both of your 30/06 Rifles when you run out of your other powders.

Unfortunately, IMR 4320 has been discontinued. It's a great 30/06 powder. If you want a replacement for it in the future take a look at AA4064. It used to be made in the Czech Republic, but is now made at the same General Dynamics plant at Valleyfield, Ontario Canada where the current IMR powders are made.

I bought a bunch of the Czech sourced AA4064, it's good powder, but i'm almost out. I used it in 308 Win. and heavy 223 loads.

I recently bought a # of the new Canadian sourced AA4064. It is shorter grained than IMR 4064, very close to 4320. It flows better than IMR 4064 in a powder hopper. Haven't tested it yet.

It's another option for both of your 30/06 Rifles when you run out of your other powders.
I've got a keg on 4320 I purchased a while back. I loaded up some 308 loads with it a couple years ago. Shot the best groups near max but sometimes I get some flat primers.

I shoot the Hornady 155's in both my Garand's and AR 10's. I use 49gr of IMR 4064 in the Garand and 42.5gr of Varget in the AR10's. One day I will see how they work in my FN FAL. Nice to have one bullet that works well in multiple guns.

So your assumption on the setup may be correct as I've only shot with this rifle twice now. I know the scope is solid but maybe the chassis screws came a little loose. The target picture with the two targets is not from the same rifle. The left target is the 3006 and the right is my 6.5cm.
I shot this test group with all 5 of the loads in one setting. Shot my other rifles to let this one cool, then went to the next group. Continued that through all the groups.
When I get back I'll check the screws.
Brings up a question, do any of the other rifle have the AR style pistol grip? I ask because I had issues with my M4 until I had someone else shoot it and recognized the grip is swept back more than my bolt gun stock grips. Change to a K2+ and groups improved, quite a bit.

Brings up a question, do any of the other rifle have the AR style pistol grip? I ask because I had issues with my M4 until I had someone else shoot it and recognized the grip is swept back more than my bolt gun stock grips. Change to a K2+ and groups improved, quite a bit.
Good point, no they don't. This is my first one with a grip.