• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

300wby mag Hand loads Need Help.

seabass1858

Private
Minuteman
Dec 14, 2011
I have a weatherby MK-V 300wby Mag and been debating as to which bullet to use for large coastal brow bears and American bison, Bullet choices are as follows, 240gr woodleigh, 220gr woodleigh fmj, 220Gr nosler partition, 200gr nosler partition, and accubond, 200gr barnes Tip-TSX? I been leaning towards the 240gr woodleigh for bison and 220gr partition for brownies.

Re: 300wby mag Hand loads Need Help.

The longer the bearing surface the better if yours is like mine. They are notorious for long freebores.

what Hopkins said, I have had good success with the 180 Partition and a good dose of H1000 but i wasn't hunting bears. A solid would get better penetration as i have seen pretty bad bullet destruction on white tail under 60 yds.
hope this helps.

a 220gr partition has high sectional density as well as the 220gr woodleigh fmj

Like Attherange said, I got my best results with a similar bullet to the 180 partition. Good velocity and sub moa groups with Speer 180 Grand Slams.

If it was me, I'd start with the 200&220 partitions.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Hopkins</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The longer the bearing surface the better if yours is like mine. They are notorious for long freebores. </div></div>

+1. I was reloading for my dad's 300wby mag last month and when I got the COAL, it was considerably more than the internal magazine allowed (Weatherby Mark V Ultralight). I measured 3.860" COAL with 165gr Spire points and the Magazine only allowed 3.750".

I ended up using the 165gr spire points at 3.548" COAL. It does .75moa.

I asked my dad if he wanted to go to 180+gr bullets, but his elk hunting guide said 165gr bullets work the best (against elk at least).

ill look at 200-220 partitions, and try them out because those and 220gr fmj woodleighs in 30cal were known to take elephants and rhinos back in the day.

Interestingly, that is how Barnes got its start in the bullet business 25-30 yrs ago. They produced premium heavily jacketed solids for dangerous game.

200gr Barnes TSX get's my vote. No Core, No Jacket. Very high weight retention.

i wonder if i load it with the 240 gr ppsn or 220gr fmj woodleigh it would be capable of taking a cape buffalo in Africa since some African guides accept the 7mm mag why not a 300wby but i will be getting a 375 ruger when that opportunity arises.

Hopkins are you in the army by any chance?

My dad was a career officer who started as a horse soldier. The closest I came to the service was as a brat 55 yrs ago.

what do you think the best 30 cal bullet for cape buffalo 220gr nosler partition or woodleigh fmj?

To be honest I wouldn't use less than a 375H&H for that purpose.

I know what you mean but my greatgrand father used a 220gr partition loaded in a 30-06 back in the 60s and took both a cape buffalo in africa and many coastal brownies all one shot kills.

I have shot the animals in question and have some ideas as to what I like

The 240 Woodliegh is a good bullet if you want maximum frontal area. Be advised this is at the expense of some penetration. The 300Wby is one of the most versatile cartridges in existence...Why would you take that away with the 240Woody? You could easily get into a 300 yard shot with a bison and 200 yard shots do happen on open tidal flats.
Hold onto that 240 Woody solid for a moment.

The 220 Partition was designed for the 30-06. I would not use it in the 300Wby...See above as well.

The 200 Partition is one of the better 30 cal magnum bullets I have used. The bullet delivers good accuracy and fantastic in game performance. As good as it is I believe large moose is as big as i would go with this bullet. It would not be my first choice on Large Bison or coastal Brownys (wet fur really hinders bullet performance). I shot a huge bison a few years ago (broadside) with the 200Part. 6 times before it went down for good. A postmortem revealed that the front core was blowing in the thick fat and fur BEFORE the bullets got to the vitals. Essentially I killed that animal with six 30 cal pinholes...Lets just say it did not go real fking smooth
Following that experience I switched to the 200 Accubond...A bullet that (from my experience) is superior in every way.

With the game mentioned the prime requirement is penetration.
Nothing does this better than a Barnes X. There is no better choice for the game in question (that I am aware of).

Having a solid on your belt(such as the 240Woody) is something I adopted after going to Africa.
After you drill a nice buff he will likely stand there thinking about dying for a while. Should he stand with his caboose toward you, a solid just above the root of the tail will put him down like he was shot between the eyes. Likewise one in the shoulders will stop him from getting away without completely destroying the meat.

Hope that helps.

Peace

I like the info and will consider when working up a load. That all being said what is your view on a hot loaded 240gr woodleigh or 220gr part hot loaded in a 30-06 (which i have one too, savage seems to like hot loads) to take the above mentioned game like my great grand father did he says 1 shot will do it but you better know when and when not to shoot and know where to shoot.

The 30-06 with the 220 partition is an old tried and true load (I believe it originated in the 1940's!). From a historical perspective it is pretty cool and I'm dam sure it is effective.

I think the 240 Woody is a bit long for the 30-06, but I might be wrong. I don't have any game experience with the 30-06 and super heavy bullets, but I have a bud that does (he also has a great deal of experience with Woodleigh. Will send him an email re the load specifics and request a postmortem report. I know he is a huge fan of the 300gr Woody in his 338Win.
He also started using Barnes TSX in his 30-06 about 5 years ago so I will ask for an update and comparison there as well.

Boomer spends a bit of time in Africa every year so he shoots more game than most. He also lives in seasonal contact with Polar bears...The guy knows his shit.

It may take a few days(he may be out of town). I will PM you if it takes too long.

Peace

Maybe I need to send you some 200 gr. Bulldozers. I've been looking for something that will stop these bullets, so I can see one expanded on game, but they pass through everything I shoot.
Bullettest2_13crop.jpg

bullet passed through 28" of ballistic gel at 2400 fps impact speed
bullettest2_1_crop.jpg

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: X-fan</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Never seen those before?
Got a link?
Are those machined??

Coolness
smile.gif
</div></div>They were designed, and machined by me. They've only been shot by 4 people, and 2 whitetails, and 2 muledeer, and a hog were taken with them from 42 to 513 yds. all one shot. My whitetail went the farthest after hit, limping about 40 yards. Went in the crease of the shoulder, came out the back of the ribcage, breaking 3 ribs, and leaving an "excessive" exit hole. The 513 yd. Mule deer was hit a little high, getting only the top of 1 lung, breaking the large bone in the shoulder, and exiting with a 1" or so exit wound. Was DRT. If anyone gets a tag for LARGE game, and would consider staking their hunt on an experimental bullet design, I would consider supplying the bullets to get one recovered from a big game animal. It will have to be a pretty big critter though.