• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

300Win Results

k3k0a808

Private
Minuteman
Aug 16, 2020
Went out this weekend again and did some loads with my Bergara 300Win, shooting 208-ELD-M H1000 Powder and Federal Match Magnum Primers. just wanted to know your guys take on these results
Screen Shot 2020-10-04 at 3.35.23 PM.png

Last edited:
The sweet spot in the 24" I have was at 76.0 gr but with a 200gr accubond at 2860fps.
It shot at .5" moa and I never messed with it after that just hunted with it.
That was in new Nosler brass, GM215M and H-1000.

put in the grouping on the chart, wondering why the grouping is the way it is, should i try less powder? different weight bullet?
Screen Shot 2020-10-05 at 7.00.26 PM.jpg

The only consistency I'm seeing is the 76.4 to 76.8. What distance are you shooting? (need to double check)

75.8 grains and adjust seating depth to tighten up group.

never really did a seating depth test before.. gonna try this weekend.. but seating depth can have a noticeable effect on a 2.45" group?

For whatever reason I could never get 208 eldm or 212 eldx to shoot great out of my bergara 300wm i tried a bunch of different seating depth never got it below an 1"

I loaded up some 205 berger elite hunters to try last night and was at .6" group first

That 77- 77.4 region looks pretty good to me If you drop that one odd one that shot 2993 at 77.4 that seems to be a nice area with low ES if you stick to the lower end of that node Did you see any pressure signs up that high?

Could that have been charge weight issue? What are you throwing your charges with?

Is this new brass? what kind?

I have struggled to get consistently less then 20 es with 300wm with new nosler brass

I need to rework my charge weights, So nice to see all your data thanks for sharing its a nice comparison I did all my load development at 40 degrees this spring and never saw any pressure signs. But at 80 degrees yesterday I had big pressure at my higher test charges and 60 fps difference wich supprised me for such a "temp stable" powder

That’s the good thing about Hawaii, basically 80 degrees average.. every day. I use a RCBS Chargemaster Lite, once fired hornady brass, i also annealed them with the Annealeez annealer. I hope I can get the 208 to run good with my rifle seeing as someone was selling 500 of them here and I picked them up lol, was just thinking about how hard it is to find bullets now, I just jumped on it

Your velocity numbers seemed pretty consistent to me. I would maybe try seating them back further I have a few guns that have liked those eld-m with a longer jump. I have some set with .080 off and they shot way better then close.

so i loaded a seating depth test yesterday and first 2 rounds at .010 cracked the case, i stopped testing and pulled all the rest of the bullets, gonna load the lower node at either 75.7 or 75.8, this is only the first reload on this brass, but just wondering on your guys thoughts on this and should i go with 75.8? or go lower seeing that the velocity kind of jumps up after 75.8
IMG_7869.jpg

That proabab;ly not from loading the high node. That generally happens when brass is getting sized too much. How much are you bumping shoulders? How much is your brass growing on the first firing?

That proabab;ly not from loading the high node. That generally happens when brass is getting sized too much. How much are you bumping shoulders? How much is your brass growing on the first firing?

i haven't measured the unfired brass and fired brass, ill do that when i get home today, last night i did measure the fired brass to my resize, and im pushing the shoulder back around .004, also did a lot of research on why that could happen and i learned a lot about reloading belted cases, i did order the new peterson long magnum brass and the collet sizing die for above the belt, hopefully that helps.. just never thought that only one reload could cause separation

took some measurements,
Unfired Hornady - 2.2665"
Fired Hornady - 2.2790"
Re-Sized Hornady - 2.2765"

the differences comes out to

Unfired -> Fired = +0.0125"
Fired -> Resized = -0.0025"

so im bumping the shoulder back 0.0025 which i don't think is too bad.. is that .0005" extra from the .002" bump a big difference?

Last edited:
How are you finding your lands? Its possible you are closer or even in the lands and not realize it causing a pressure spiike. The case is weakest and has been worked just above the belt. Annealing obviously will not effect this area.

i used hornady modified case and comparator, just got a Larry Willis sizing die, and i also got some Peterson 300WM Long brass, hopefully that solves my problem

So Bergara said to try 185 Bergers, did another load with Peterson Long Brass, Federal Magnum Match Primers, H1000, seems to me like my rifle likes this bullet better... im still new at reading this data so just wanted to know everyones opinion on what charge i should do a seating depth test. what velocity should i be looking for? im thinking 76.3 is good?

300WinBergerLoads.jpg

what twist is your barrel?
I have the same rifle, they are 1/10 twist, stainless. I was following k3k0a808's progress but I couldn't find anymore posts.

Best I managed so far was about 1.25" groups at 100 yd with Sig 190gr OTM - the same factory ammo that Bergara recommends. I'm using an Omega 300 to get that result. With my Thunderbeast Magnus, it's about 1.75" and YHM Resonator R2 is over 2"

The barrel/gun is still quite new (about 60 rd) and I thoroughly clean it before shooting. I plan to experiment with the action screw torque and try some different ammo as well.