• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

300WM Help!

muleman

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jan 8, 2010
Denton, Neb.
Just starting out with my first LR Rifle. Can anyone provide good starting load, 300wm, 1-10 twist, 5r barrel. RL-22 powder, win mag primer, 208 A-Max. My loading book dosen't ever list 208gr, How much powder to start? How much will reach max loads? Thanks!! I can't tell you guys how much I've learned on this site, reading all the info!!!

Re: 300WM Help

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: magshooter</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I shoot 190 SMKs out of Lupua brass with 82.5 grains of H-1000 </div></div>

I will second this load as I run 82 grains in same setup.

I shoot 208s @69-71 gr.VHT 170 depending on the temp.on that day with Excellent results.
178s @ 72-73 gr of VHT 170 averaging sub. 1/2 min 5 shot groups.same for above loads out of my Surgeon Remedy 300 1-10 twist.
all loads shot @ approx. 85 deg. and 65% rel.hum.
Again, these are fairly moderate loads.depending where you are,you could up them up a bit. but i've only fired 100 rnds thru this rifle sofar.

Per JustPete's advice I wrote Hornady for a load on the 208 AMAX, using Retumbo in a .300WM. Unfortunately, they have not tested Retumbo.

Does anyone have load data for Retumbo? Please PM me. I'm using 208 AMAX, 27" barrel. I looked in the reloading archive but can't find anything. Hodgdon told me 85gr but I want to confirm.

Please advise.

Regards,

Mountain

if you want to run retumbo with 208's just start with the min. load for the 200gr accubond and work up and you should find your sweet spot. I had the very same question and that was the answer I got.