• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

.300WM Muzzle brake!

19dsniper

Sergeant
Minuteman
May 25, 2010
Fort Hood Texas
I am currently doing a .300WM build for 1600 yards plus. Our current range is expanding from 1000-1600 yards, so i would love a rifle that will reach that far and then some. I am looking at puting a muzzle brake on the barrel and need help as to what to use. Any suggestions? pics welcome!

I used the search function and only came up with some for sale, but no reviews or recomendations for .300 WM

Re: .300WM Muzzle break!

i was looking at the Miculik, but have actually read alot about the vias brakes and they sound pretty good... anyone have any experience with the TUBB breaks?

Look at JP rifles Cooley comp. I have them on several rifles or SUREFIRE makes a good comp. but they are a little pricey. I've had the Holland break on a 300 WSM. It worked great but was extremely loud for the shooter and everyone else around.

Just my two cents.

I'm using a badger thruster break on my 300 win mag. It works great and it's perfect for my application(not too bulky). Badger also makes a larger FTE break that works well. I've heard good things about the APA bastard breaks, but don't have any direct experience with them. As already stated if shooting prone be sure it doesn't have ports on the bottom.

I have a Holland QD also. I really like it, but my friends don't.
grin.gif
Not the best picture, a little fuzzy, but the only one I had:

IMG_6806-2.jpg

It's REALLY loud when shooting under a shed roof. And it's produces quite a concussion. But I've never shot with a different brake, so not sure if it's better or worse.

John

Badger FTE gets my vote. That's what I have on my 300 WM.

FTE works very well on my 300 WSM. I shoot 63 grains behind a 208 AMax. Makes it very easy to call my own corrections.

Well everyone has helped out alot as i didnt even know where to start.. im mainly going to be using the 208 AMax with a fairly stiff load. Trying to push it out to 1800 hopefully.. The range will only go to 1600 but im sure i will want to shoot farther once i start ringing that gong at 1600 on a FAIRLY regular basis.. lord knows i wont be able to do it all the time.. but who wouldnt want to shoot past 1600 if the opporitunity arises!!!!!!

I have become very fond of the JP Enterprises brake. I like the looks and it functions very well on my 300 win whis is a fairly light build.

Jeff

DSC02217Large.jpg

I like the Near Manufacturing one on my TRG-42 (300WM). Reduced the recoil to that of an AR-15 shooting 77Gr SMKs. [Most people a shocked... but the TRG is a heavy rifle.]

I have the JP "Recoil Eliminator" on my M70 in 375 H&H Mag... no recoil to speak of: ( http://www.jprifles.com/1.4.2_re.php )

The M70 IS NOT a heavy rifle, and it's got about the same recoil as a 308Win.

...and I just order the Rosedale units from Germany for the TRG and AI 300WMs.

My only comment on the JP unit is... DO LET ANYONE YOU LIKE STAND TO THE SIDES WHILE YOU'RE SHOOTING. ...it's a real hoot.

-smile-

GBMaryland, I think thats the first thing im going to do when i get my brake installed, im thinking about having them come down and stand beside it while i fire to make sure it doesnt "loosen" while im trying to zero the rifle!!! Sorry, im steeling your idea, its just too good to pass up!

I have 2 of the Tubb brakes, one on a 223 AI and the other on a 22BR, both rifles set up for killing prairie rats. You will have to open the brake up from 6mm to your desired caliber. I can say it definitely deflects ALOT of blast!! Plus you dont have to worry about indexing it.

I'm putting a Vias on my 300 RUM. This is the same brake that McMillan is using on some of their rifles.

Why do you want to mess around with a brake when you could be running a silencer/sound moderator/can/supressor?

I've got a YHM can on my .300WM and it is the only way to go I think.

brake
pros:
reduce recoil
clear all benches on both sides for 20 feet

cons:
loud.
vent blast to anyone next to you, but good way to make non-friends.
kick up grit and bounce it off everyones really expensive scopes.
loud.
not as much recoil reduction as can.

sound moderator
pros:
quiet
great recoil reduction

cons
none
maybe cost, but a .300WM can will work on alot of diffrent rifles from .300WM down to .223

Believe me if i could have a can i would but i cant

legal issues in australia mean brakes are the only option for us

can all US states allow for the use of cans?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Linkpimp</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Has anyone tried this JP recoil eliminator??

Here is a video of it being used on a 300 win.. looks really impressive..

http://www.metacafe.com/watch/1557004/jp_recoil_eliminators
</div></div>

They work very well,do not use one of these at a range with other shooters beside you unless you want to make some fast enemies.

ok.. either JP Recoil Eliminator or a can... I would LOVE the can, but dont know if its really worth all the hastle. ideas?

Re: .300WM Muzzle brake!

LRS2.jpg

I use the JP recoil eliminator on my 300wm and love it to death. Feels like a 243.

I really think that that can is worth the hassle, though I've had very good results from the brake that Ross Schuler makes. At $40 delivered to a 'Hide member it's a good deal.

Greene has a 7 BAT with a RWS brake on it, he told me it was like shooting his 6.5x47 not a short mag with 180 Bergers.

I'd still get a can and have a brake installed while you wait for the paperwork to clear on the suppressor.

I have been using a badger.It's the best out there IMO. Makes the .300WM feel like less than a .308

Well im pretty much sold on the JP Recoil eliminator. Do i just send my barreled action to them and they do all the work? I have never removed the barrle on a 700 before. If i remove it to send it off, do i need to do headspacing when i put it back on after getting it back? Im guessing that i can just send my barrel to JP and they will thread it for me? I dont know any good smiths around here that i would trust to thread the barrel. I also want a threaded muzzle protector for when i want to take it off for a hunting trip. Then again, seing how i use ear pro, i just might leave it on.

I had an armalite tank brake installed on a custom 300wm
it would actually produce some negative recoil and the rifle would move slightly forward

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Sigma05</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
LRS2.jpg

I use the JP recoil eliminator on my 300wm and love it to death. Feels like a 243. </div></div>

I could not agree more. I love my JP recoil eliminator. Best I have ever bought and will buy more. You cannot go wrong. I also shoot 300wm but a Savage 110fp

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 19dsniper</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Well im pretty much sold on the JP Recoil eliminator. Do i just send my barreled action to them and they do all the work? I have never removed the barrle on a 700 before. If i remove it to send it off, do i need to do headspacing when i put it back on after getting it back? Im guessing that i can just send my barrel to JP and they will thread it for me? I dont know any good smiths around here that i would trust to thread the barrel. I also want a threaded muzzle protector for when i want to take it off for a hunting trip. Then again, seing how i use ear pro, i just might leave it on. </div></div>

JP Enterprise recommended I send one of mine to EABCO.com because they were so backed up and they trust his work and recrowning accuracy. He was helpful speedy work and turn around.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: midgetorama</div><div class="ubbcode-body">That RWS four port brake works really well on my big 338. FWIW. </div></div>

I have a Rws 3 port brake on my .300wm and the recoil is less then a 22-250. And for the price you cant bet them.

+3 on the RWS brakes. I have 5 now and they take my 300rums, wsm and wm down to a very light kick.

Did you get that when the Badgers landed chris ?I need one for my 284shehane -Are they simple to get out of the US ?
Id like one before our shoot in Feb

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: MicronuT</div><div class="ubbcode-body">does anyone have any experience with the surefire brake? </div></div>

i have one on my Remy 700 r5 in .300 Win Mag and i f**king love it,. its a really good stand alone brake,. and slipping the can on is easy.

the only bad thing is that with a 26 in barrel & Surefire suppressor mounted the rifle looks more like a wicked spear.

they cost more and require a gunsmith to instal it properly,. but it is very woth it IMO