• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

300WM recommendations (AICS, threaded barrel, Picatinny rail)

metroplex

Sergeant of the Hide
Minuteman
Sep 15, 2020
I was looking to get a new 300WM bolt gun but wanted some recommendations on brand/model Intended use is PRS and not a mountain or hunting rifle. Looking for railed optics mounting, AICS or some standardized chassis with 10rd mags, factory threaded barrel, sub-MOA or good precision, and I will be running a suppressor. I am not trying to buy a customized top of the line setup, trying to find a balance of value and performance.

Had thought about Savage and Ruger, heard mixed things about Christensen, and couldn't find the Tikka that met my needs or maybe I looked at the wrong place.

Is there a particular reason you are choosing 300wm for PRS? I’m not a competitor and only loosely follow the series but that’s not exactly a “PRS” round

If looking for factory then just pick one with the features you want. The Ruger Precision Rifle would work. Hardest part will be to find 10 round 300WM mags but might be easier now. Used to be real tough to find. Not sure your budget but a Bighorn Origin long action and then put it together yourself is another option.

300WM is not the PRS gamer cartridge but some shoot it. You will probably catch some shit over wanting to shoot it but do what you like. I shot it in matches years back. Ballistics are great but just need to deal with the recoil. Practice with it and use some good bullets. I used the 208 AMAX and then ELDs and they are a good balance of BC but not too much recoil. I wouldn't use a 190 or below.

Reactions: metroplex
If looking for factory then just pick one with the features you want. The Ruger Precision Rifle would work. Hardest part will be to find 10 round 300WM mags but might be easier now. Used to be real tough to find. Not sure your budget but a Bighorn Origin long action and then put it together yourself is another option.

300WM is not the PRS gamer cartridge but some shoot it. You will probably catch some shit over wanting to shoot it but do what you like. I shot it in matches years back. Ballistics are great but just need to deal with the recoil. Practice with it and use some good bullets. I used the 208 AMAX and then ELDs and they are a good balance of BC but not too much recoil. I wouldn't use a 190 or below.

I keep seeing the Bergara B14 HMR pop up as a recommendation on various sites/pages. How would that compare with the Ruger Precision? Good tip on the heavier loads.

Reactions: Sigmanx
I keep seeing the Bergara B14 HMR pop up as a recommendation on various sites/pages. How would that compare with the Ruger Precision? Good tip on the heavier loads.

That would work as well. Would probably take the Bergara over the Ruger just for the 700 compatibility for stocks/chassis and triggers down the road.

I was looking to get a new 300WM bolt gun but wanted some recommendations on brand/model Intended use is PRS and not a mountain or hunting rifle. Looking for railed optics mounting, AICS or some standardized chassis with 10rd mags, factory threaded barrel, sub-MOA or good precision, and I will be running a suppressor. I am not trying to buy a customized top of the line setup, trying to find a balance of value and performance.

Had thought about Savage and Ruger, heard mixed things about Christensen, and couldn't find the Tikka that met my needs or maybe I looked at the wrong place.

Odd choice for intended use, but it's your shoulder, go nuts!
Do you currently reload for 300WM, have all the components, powder, primers, etc? Be sure to get a Larry Willis Collet Die!
I heartily agree with @Rob01 on the 208's, 210 and 215 Bergers are excellent in 9 and 10 twist barrels as well.

Might want to look into the freebore and throating on whatever factory rifle you choose so you can maximize case capacity and seat the bullets long. CIP length mags are where it's at.

Personally, I'd be looking more at the 300PRC - only so you don't have to hassle with the belt if reloading.

Best of luck!

Is there a particular reason you are choosing 300wm for PRS? I’m not a competitor and only loosely follow the series but that’s not exactly a “PRS” round
Op, I’m not trying to dissuade you from 300wm. It’s just not a very common choice

I have the Savage 110 Tactical in 300 win mag and like it. 24” threaded fluted Heavy barrel. Aluminum bedding bar in accustock with adjustable lop and adjustable comb height. Adjustable accu-trigger. Takes AICS MDT 3.850 mags. Mine with some preliminary hand loads was printing 5/8” groups.

Can you just shoot the Savage to start out? Sounds like it works for you.

You could probably put it in a chassis.

I’d shoot the Savage since it’s zero cost and once you see how it runs for you. You could upgrade it later to what you want or you’d then have have an idea what you really want in the rifle you want to buy.

I don't have a good suggestion for a factory rifle, I'd suggest Tikka but they're not really a long action and you'd want more room. That being said 300 WM is an odd choice, most these days are shooting a variety of 6mm. 6 BR, 6GT, etc.... Next most popular I'd guess would be a 6.5. The 6MM rounds will be using about 1/2 the powder of the 300 WM.

Had a guy come to some of the matches I attend. First 2 matches he had a tricked out 300WM in a chassis. 1.25 26" barrel with suppresor. When he could hit targets he couldn't see his impacts because he was struggling with the gun.

He now shoots dasher and does well.

I'm recommending you choose another caliber. It's not a practical choice. Why spend 2x the money or more on components? Barrel life is not that great with that much powder going off every round. Last match I was at had more 12 round stages then ten round stages. 6 matches and a couple practice sessions and you probably need another barrel.

Unless you just have a shit ton of money you want to piss away and be that guy... Go for it.

Reactions: 1911Shootist
Call Matt Stewart at Stewart Rifles. Let him know what you're trying to do. Let him ask you questions to make sure what you think you want really IS what you want. If he recommends a different direction, seriously consider his ideas.

I flew professionally for 20 years. Lots of us ignorant Lieutennants wanted a certain platform. I listened to a W4 who told me to pick a mission and let the platform take care of itself. Best advice I ever had. You'll be a lot happier if you build the rifle for the mission.

You'll be glad you did.

God bless America.

Best balance of value and performance for a PRS gun right now is probably an Aero Solus in 6 Creedmoor. I’d advise against 300WM from both a value and performance perspective.

Best balance of value and performance for a PRS gun right now is probably an Aero Solus in 6 Creedmoor. I’d advise against 300WM from both a value and performance perspective.
My only current issue I have with 300wm is that the only place I can find any is online!

Had a guy come to some of the matches I attend. First 2 matches he had a tricked out 300WM in a chassis. 1.25 26" barrel with suppresor. When he could hit targets he couldn't see his impacts because he was struggling with the gun.

He now shoots dasher and does well.

I bet if he went back to the 300WM now he would do better. He was new and now that he knows the game better and how to run a rifle he can do better with a larger caliber. Especially with that big ass barrel. LOL

Again I am not saying the 300WM is the best choice and as I said it's not the gamer caliber for PRS but if he wants to shoot it he can if he puts in the practice and work. A tiny 6mm would definitely be a more popular choice and less recoil and cost but not for everyone.

If “performance” is a priority, every shooter will perform better (get more hits) with a cartridge appropriate for the task, especially when compared with 300WM.

If “value” is a priority, I can’t imagine how 300WM is even being considered unless one already has the rifle and match ammo stockpiled.

I’m not saying it can’t be done with 300WM, I’m just saying it’s the wrong tool for the job and doesn’t make sense on any level when value and performance are desired.

I am not trying to buy a customized top of the line setup, trying to find a balance of value and performance.
Not sure where "value" comes into the equation here - as others have said, a .30-cal magnum is definitely not a "value" proposition for PRS when each round burns two to two and a half times as much powder to launch bullets weighing one and a half to two times more than common PRS calibers. Add in the negative aspects of pounding recoil and fairly short barrel life... I'm not sure where OP got the idea of running a .300 WinMag for PRS, but I'm guessing it's a desire to justify buying a great big hammer and needing a nail to hit with it.

Ok, but like Rob said... if OP wants to go that route, have at it... but then there's the question of whether it would make more sense to go with the designed-for-precision .300 PRC - similar powder capacity to the WinMag, longer neck, throated for high-BC bullets, ditches the archaic belt with attendant headspace/resize die issues. Either way, it's a BMW proposition (Bring Money Wit'cha).

I bet if he went back to the 300WM now he would do better. He was new and now that he knows the game better and how to run a rifle he can do better with a larger caliber. Especially with that big ass barrel. LOL

Again I am not saying the 300WM is the best choice and as I said it's not the gamer caliber for PRS but if he wants to shoot it he can if he puts in the practice and work. A tiny 6mm would definitely be a more popular choice and less recoil and cost but not for everyone.

Yeah he probably would. Other issue was he bought a 1000 rounds of MK248 factory seconds. Flyers left, right, high and low. Couldn't correct on that.

If your mind is set that's what you want to do, go for. If you can manage the recoil and don't care about cost, go for it.

Reactions: Rob01 and Sigmanx
This thread reminded me a lot of this interview and F-Class John’s story. There’s a good message in there.

Call Matt Stewart at Stewart Rifles. Let him know what you're trying to do. Let him ask you questions to make sure what you think you want really IS what you want. If he recommends a different direction, seriously consider his ideas.

I flew professionally for 20 years. Lots of us ignorant Lieutennants wanted a certain platform. I listened to a W4 who told me to pick a mission and let the platform take care of itself. Best advice I ever had. You'll be a lot happier if you build the rifle for the mission.

You'll be glad you did.

God bless America.

Matt builds hammers. He's done 4 barreled actions for me and I've never been short of amazed. Currently, he measured my AI AT-X a while ago and is working on spinning up barrels for those, along with prefits for other actions. I'm really looking forward to my 6GT AI barrel.

Great guy. Will spend hours with anyone needing assistance.

You hit the nail on the head with
Matt builds hammers. He's done 4 barreled actions for me and I've never been short of amazed. Currently, he measured my AI AT-X a while ago and is working on spinning up barrels for those, along with prefits for other actions. I'm really looking forward to my 6GT AI barrel.

Great guy. Will spend hours with anyone needing assistance.
You hit the nail on the head with that last sentence. Matt could charge for his time consulting on a build like an architect does. His sincerity is real and not some gimmick he learned at a marketing seminar. If I'd known him earlier he would have saved me thousands, but hey, everyone needs a 17 pound .308 hunting rifle at least once. Right? How many times have you tried to like a rifle and never really did. This is where a good smith really shines - he keeps you from building what won't accomplish your mission.

I'll say it again, call Matt and start talking about what you want.

God bless America

I think Tikka in 6.5 Creedmoor will fit what you‘re looking for. And a lot of upgrades if you want to replace something in the future. Also, a large selection of decent factory ammo.
300WM isn‘t for PRS.

Sake s20 might be a good rifle (earlier caveat of magnum+prs is bad juju, 1 match is about 10% barrel life)

I was looking for a similar threaded barrel style and got a used Bergera Premier. It's my hunting/clear the range gun.