• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

303 british 1000 yards

Re: 303 british 1000 yards

Theres been a lot of work done with this caliber up in Canada, the P14 is a good base, do a search on the 303 Epps.

i have a 303 brit a #4mk1* made in the usa my hunting load for it is a sierra pro hunter 180gr doing 2550fps that load goes subsonic 800-850yards if you have enough adjustment in your scope i dont see why you wont be able to hit 1000yds...good luck

Reactions: camocorvette

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: plumber125</div><div class="ubbcode-body">can anyone tell me if it possible to get a 303 british to go 1000yards. please help </div></div>

That's what the volley sights are for!

Reactions: camocorvette

Not a problem. The Canadians were shooting the big span with iron-sighted Enfields in the 80's with WWII vintage ammo. Please help with what, exactly?

The .303 British has been used at the International Commonwealth 1000 yard Fullbore match rifle since before WW1.

Here's Gale McMillan's comments:

A few years ago I was invited to build a rifle for the 1200 yard matches in England. The only requirement was that it would be able to beat a Lee Enfield. What a joke! Since my rifles held all the 1000 yard records at the time I felt confident when I told them if I didn't beat every Enfield on the line they wouldn't have to pay for the rifle.

I should have checked the record book before shooting off my mouth .It would have saved me a rifle. There is something very unique to the Enfield that has been explained to me and I still don't understand exactly what it is. It has to do with the two piece stock and the harmonics plus the flex of the joint makes every thing come together at 1200 yards. You Lee Enfield lovers check the records of the 1000yard matches at Bisley.

It will lift your spirits so high you will be able to laugh at us Magnum shooters. Don't ask me how a rifle with a 300 foot mid range trajectory can consistantly beat out our high scoring Mags.

Gale McMillan

can anyone tell me if it possible to get a 303 british to go 1000yards. please help
the no 4 mk1 rifle even though a 600 meter effective range standard snipers did 1300 meter shots ;the 303 brittish with the mk 174 gr fmj bullet has even beat some magnum shooters at bixley uk range in test few times; part of the issue you have pay money for a quality scope that works for targets good at 1000 yards; then it takes a lot of practice ; to rise up to level carlos gunny hathoc and chris kyle could do good luck; ps longest kill by accident was 7 miles recorded with 303 enfield in Australia when a farmer missed a crow in tree and hit a chap walking down the block 7 miles away

i know with the 150 grain bullet a 303 british can achieve 308 cal balistics; has any 1 done any shooting with 1000 yard plus using the 150 grain bullet or at longer rangers is it more accurate with the 174 gr fmj at mk 7 ballistic just courious

can anyone tell me if it possible to get a 303 british to go 1000yards. please help
Shooter by youtube name 9mile takes no 4 on 500 yard shots shows it evaluation he has as lso been seen shooting 1000 yards with gun ; plesse note brittish military used a 174grain fmj spitzer type bullet traveling at 2470 fps leaving barrel

We all have a legal right yo respond if thread is still showing
I dont think he meant you were breaking rules... just that alot of threads that died are getting revived by new members and it seems they die again quickly because the topic is no longer current.

Its because the projectile goes to sleep and becomes more accurate down range.

Anyone know whats better Mil or MOA?

Should I get a .45 or a 9mm?
Depends if a grizzly charging at you a 45 acp better if your in streets and attack and u use a 9mm with hollow points thats great

Its because the projectile goes to sleep and becomes more accurate down range.

Anyone know whats better Mil or MOA?

Should I get a .45 or a 9mm?

Accuracy International vs

There is a IOR on sale

Harris vs Atlas

$5000 scope vs $5000 Scope vs $800 scope

TacOps rifles 1/4" guarantee is fake

the list goes on

With hornady 150gr interlock you are 56.4 inches low at 500 yards ; that's slightly better than 308 165 grain bt which is 64 inches low at 500 yards; since the hornady round is flatter projectory than standard 174gr mk7 bullet in 303 ; this is were I try to look at

the no 4 mk1 rifle even though a 600 meter effective range standard snipers did 1300 meter shots ;the 303 brittish with the mk 174 gr fmj bullet has even beat some magnum shooters at bixley uk range in test few times; part of the issue you have pay money for a quality scope that works for targets good at 1000 yards; then it takes a lot of practice ; to rise up to level carlos gunny hathoc and chris kyle could do good luck; ps longest kill by accident was 7 miles recorded with 303 enfield in Australia when a farmer missed a crow in tree and hit a chap walking down the block 7 miles away
Hate to bump this thread anymore, but there is no way in hell that that 303 bullet traveled 7 miles.

I ran the jbm max distance calculator on the highest bc projectile I could find (0.601 g7) at 4,800 fps muzzle velocity and it still wouldn’t make it 7 miles at sea level.

Reactions: Robert foster
Hate to bump this thread anymore, but there is no way in hell that that 303 bullet traveled 7 miles.

I ran the jbm max distance calculator on the highest bc projectile I could find (0.601 g7) at 4,800 fps muzzle velocity and it still wouldn’t make it 7 miles at sea level.
Haven't you heard of the 2 Stage .303 round.
Designed it to shoot down V1 & V2 rockets?
Secondary charge ignites at 2 miles.
🤣

That’s because it’s not a 6.5 creedmore or a .270

For the historians out there:

A history of the development of the Lee Enfield.

"An Historical and Technical Overview of the Development of British Military Rifles from 1866 to 1895"
A general history of the predecessors to the Enfield and examples of battle field use and capability of the .303 and the effects it had on the British military.
-See page 141 for anecdotal evidence of the Boers effective use and engagement of targets at 2,000 yards.
-Same page, a battlefield expedient tactic of using the Maxim-Machinegun to quickly range a target for the riflemen at 1800 yards.