• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

.308 1000 yard load?

kyle528

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jul 21, 2012
ohio
i need some good suggestions on a good load for 1000 yds from a rem 700 with 26'' barrel. loads that would produce groups in the 1/2 minute range would be great, thanks!

Re: .308 1000 yard load?

you might want to try getting half MOA at a shorter range first like maybe 300-500. Asking about a load shooting half MOA a 1K really is silly, half MOA at 1K is more the shooter than the ammo.

But I digress!

<object width="425" height="350"> <param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/US1FsUiFNgU"></param> <param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param> <embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/US1FsUiFNgU" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350"> </embed></object>

Great first post.

Start with selecting a bullet that will do the job.

175gr SMK
155gr Scenar

There are more but, these are the most common.

175 smk
Fueled by
Imr4064
Rl15
Imr4895
I hate to even speak this one... Varget
Search ladder test and apply to any of the above powders.
U should be close to 42-43 grs (depending on your brass choice) with 4064 though.

Not due to inexperince, but the fact there are several pages of 1K ammo disscussions, including the currently active "want to duplicate m118lr load", I second the face palm.

On the other hand, the above thread has good info in it.

i am getting 1/2 moa at 700 yds, my loads just dont seem to be good enough at a k. just looking for a high bc, im going to try some 175 smk's, heard they do pretty good.

what velocities are you getting with 4064? i have fc and lapua brass.

I think you need to figure this out on your own!

In the 13 pages of 308 load data it's in there.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: kwells308</div><div class="ubbcode-body">i am getting 1/2 moa at 700 yds, my loads just dont seem to be good enough at a k. just looking for a high bc, im going to try some 175 smk's, heard they do pretty good. </div></div>

What's your load for 700 yrds and what velocity are you at right now ?

my current load:
168 SMK
42 grains varget
2.800'' COAL
fps? from what my drops are showing (43 minutes @ 1000) im estimating 2500-2550

new load:
175 SMK
41.5 grains IMR4064
2.800'' COAL
(to be chronoed this weekend hopefully)

thanks everyone for the suggestions so far, but as far as inexperience goes, i may only be 14, but ive launched a few thousand rounds downrange, and read about 10 books on reloading,(not reloading manuals) exterior ballistics, and long range shooting in general, im just hung up on a good, consistent load. you would think i would have found one by now, but with a brother and a sister, i cant spend very much on shooting. I just dropped 2k on a NF, and about 600 on reloading in the past few months trying to work up a load, so i figured id try and get some suggestions to try and save a few bucks.
thanks all so far!
semper fidelis!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: kwells308</div><div class="ubbcode-body">my current load:
168 SMK
42 grains varget
2.800'' COAL
</div></div>

This load will likely not make a round hole at 1k yrds. That bullet was designed to shoot inside of 600yrds.

If you want to shoot a 168gr to 1k, you will have better results using a-max or Bergers.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: kwells308</div><div class="ubbcode-body">thanks everyone for the suggestions so far, but as far as inexperience goes, i may only be 14, but ive launched a few thousand rounds downrange, and read about 10 books on reloading,(not reloading manuals) exterior ballistics, and long range shooting in general, im just hung up on a good, consistent load. you would think i would have found one by now, but with a brother and a sister, i cant spend very much on shooting. I just dropped 2k on a NF, and about 600 on reloading in the past few months trying to work up a load, so i figured id try and get some suggestions to try and save a few bucks.
thanks all so far!
semper fidelis!
</div></div>

Lemme get this straight. You are 14. You just dropped $2600 on "stuff". You can't spend much cause you have siblings. WOW kid you have balls. I know life is tough in the golden ghetto but hang in there.
Hey folks told you where the loads are, what more do you want?

Think about changin your handle to Lightnin Boy.
<object width="425" height="350"> <param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/5wy8mOgFrus&feature=related"></param> <param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param> <embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/5wy8mOgFrus&feature=related" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350"> </embed></object>

<object width="425" height="350"> <param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/ntrCbhQw8yg"></param> <param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param> <embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/ntrCbhQw8yg" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350"> </embed></object>

Id use either 175's or 155's. Your not going to get consistent results at 1000 with 168's. Try the Sierra 155 Palma or 175 nosler custom comp.

I ran Varget heavy with the the 175 SMK's and was very successful out as far as 1350 yds. Some start around 44 gr and work up. I happened to find an above book max load that worked very well for me with a 20" barrel.

So the kids blessed and well off a little guidance wouldn't hurt. I would give a recommendation to learn how to do load development properly. There is a lot of information on this subject out there. Experiment a little find what your rifle likes and then tweak it. What works for one person may not work for another. If you have the ability to shoot 1000 yards in your area then 155 or 175 is a good bullet to build on.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: kwells308</div><div class="ubbcode-body">my current load:
168 SMK
42 grains varget
2.800'' COAL

new load:
175 SMK
41.5 grains IMR4064
2.800'' COAL
(to be chronoed this weekend hopefully) </div></div>

You need a chronograph and QuickLOAD software to help you skip the usual process many people go though which is driven by a lack of hard data.

I don't know what brass you are using but with IMR 4064 powder these are likely going to be some pretty slow loads and slow won't get you to 1,000 yards very well. While the 168gr SMK is a very good bullet for shooting inside of 600 yards the 168gr SMK is at a severe disadvantage ballistically when compared to the 168gr Hornady AMAX bullet <span style="font-weight: bold">even at the same velocity</span>.

The 168gr AMAX has a BC that is very similar to the 175gr SMK so if you get the 168gr AMAX moving fast enough you will have a flatter shooting round that has similar or even better wind drift than the 175gr SMK. With the right powder the 168gr AMAX bullet design can also net you significantly more velocity compared to the 168gr SMK over Varget. Where velocity, accuracy and consistency is important 30+ years ago I found IMR4895 to be one of the best .308Win powders for the 175gr SMK and more recently RL-17. These are both stick powders so obviously your charge consistency will be better scaled vs. thrown.

The best combinations are dependent on many things but load density and case capacity are very important factors to consider with a moderate sized case like the .308Win. To sort out the best possible powders which will yield a powder charge with a 98%-102% case fill I have been using QuickLOAD to do most of the leg work.

QuickLOAD is an amazingly powerful and useful tool to help you eliminate load combinations that are not as volume efficient, less likely to work as well, net the desired velocity with the lowest peak pressure with maximum area under the pressure curve. QuickLOAD works very well for .308Win if you work thoughtfully and measure your case capacity first. Of course QuickLOAD's data is not 100% correct for all cartridges so you should double check your data. Also while QuickLOAD's predicted results match up almost perfectly over a good chrono Q/L is only modeling software not the real world.

That said for .308Win there has been a nearly perfect correlation between predicted and chronographed data for the last year or so I've been using them together. QuickLOAD is a tool that will save you a whole lot of wasted time and money on combinations that cannot produce the velocity you need with the cases and bullets you have or want to use. I also have a PVM21 chrono and like anything else if I do my part QuickLOAD is very close, usually within +/-10fps.

As far as the 175gr SMK goes if you can get it moving closer to 2,650fps which should not be difficult even with a factory 26" barrel. Reasonably accurate 1,000 yard shooting should not be a problem if you shoot well enough. The 175gr SMK at 2,650fps performs virtually identically to the 168gr AMAX at 2,730fps in terms of wind drift. The 175gr SMK will still need to be dialed up a 1/10 mil or two compared with the 168gr AMAX and the flight time is slightly longer.

HTH!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: armorpl8chikn</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: kwells308</div><div class="ubbcode-body">thanks everyone for the suggestions so far, but as far as inexperience goes, i may only be 14, but ive launched a few thousand rounds downrange, and read about 10 books on reloading,(not reloading manuals) exterior ballistics, and long range shooting in general, im just hung up on a good, consistent load. you would think i would have found one by now, but with a brother and a sister, i cant spend very much on shooting. I just dropped 2k on a NF, and about 600 on reloading in the past few months trying to work up a load, so i figured id try and get some suggestions to try and save a few bucks.
thanks all so far!
semper fidelis!
</div></div>

Lemme get this straight. You are 14. You just dropped $2600 on "stuff". You can't spend much cause you have siblings. WOW kid you have balls. I know life is tough in the golden ghetto but hang in there.
Hey folks told you where the loads are, what more do you want?

Think about changin your handle to Lightnin Boy.
<<SNIPPED VIDEOS>>
</div></div>

Jealous much?

yes thats the problem, i just dropped $2600, now i need to start saving

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: kwells308</div><div class="ubbcode-body">yes thats the problem, i just dropped $2600, now i need to start saving </div></div>

ha ha I know the feeling but wait until you get older. My first son is a rising junior at Olin and my second son is starting at USC in a few weeks. I used to think I was broke but now I'm thinking I had no idea what broke really is.

Ha that's funny the OP wasn't even alive when that crossroads movie was on beta little lone in the theatres, lol!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 2clicks</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I hate to even speak this one... Varget
</div></div>

What's wrong with Varget?

Varget is the cats meow. Meters well, lot to lot pretty consistent. No temp issues. Put me out to 1k many many times. If hodgon had a varget bumper sticker... I would sport the hell out of it.

1k load:
44gr Reloader 15, Hornday Match Brass, 178gr Amax, with Wolf primer. 2650fps out of my 20" FN SPR. Come up depending on weather conditions is anywhere between 37 to 40 moa.

1000ydprone.jpg

1000ydscopeshot.jpg

1000yd-7.jpg

5 shot group at 1k, first two shots on upper spotter disk.

1000ydtarget.jpg

spottershot.jpg

This load is my staple load for 1K in my 308's

Terry

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Iggy.</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 2clicks</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I hate to even speak this one... Varget
</div></div>

What's wrong with Varget? </div></div>

Nothing for many rifles with custom barrels, good chambers, tight bores and enough free mag. or well length.

But for stock production Remington 700 rifles even with 24" barrels unless you are loading with very high capacity brass 58gr+ H2O and/or are willing to use a compressed, near max. or max. load it is difficult if not impossible to produce enough velocity (2,670fps minimum, 2,700fps is more reliable) to reliably reach 1,000 yards at sea level with a 175gr SMK or similar projectile without signs of over pressure.

Yes I know chambers and barrels can vary. But the two bone stock Remington 700s with 24" barrels (heavy Varmint barrel 700BDL & new 5R with nearly a 40 year gap in production dates) I tested with yielded virtually identical chrono results during testing to validate the QuickLOAD results. Of course YMMV.

It was not setup for a Remington 700 but my 308 load is:

-155Gr Lapua Scenars
-46.5Gr Varget
-Lapua brass
-CCI BR2 primers
-2.900" COAL

Load runs out steam around 1200-1250 yards out of my 20" barrel.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Aimsmall55</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Varget is the cats meow. Meters well, lot to lot pretty consistent. No temp issues. Put me out to 1k many many times. If hodgon had a varget bumper sticker... I would sport the hell out of it. </div></div>

Well there we have it. From your lips to God's ears.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Aimsmall55</div><div class="ubbcode-body">It's not just the powder, it's my 3x9 tasco that seals the deal </div></div>

Heck those 3x9 tascos are difficult to find especially the vintage pre-ban versions made by virgins in North Korea. I know because I checked on eBay.

lose the 168 smk for ranges past 600?s they were met for 300 meter UIT work. and try the new 155 smk or a scenars. when i shot palma the loads were mostly varget depending on year or lot# for the powder. but working somewhere in the high 45s (grns) to 47+/- range depends on your chamber though. test loads at least 300 yards for groups.
if you are shooting .5 moa groups at 700 it will be a walk in the park for the 8,9,1000 stuff.

arborpro

What's wrong with varget I think its over rated. Here's why. Double checking my elevation settings for the national matches next week yeah its only 5 shots but u can c the potential yes its an ar but still... Um iron sights 600 yards.

IMAG0899.jpg

new load: 175 SMK 41.5 grains IMR4064 2.800'' COAL (to be chronoed this weekend hopefully)
Looks like a great place to start.

I wonder how many of those guys that use varget have actually tried other powders...

Hey your not that kid I rented that cabin from on marble head a few years ago are ya????

I had no luck at all with VLD-style bullets in a factory 700P barrel. I couldn't get anywhere near the lands with them, and they didn't like jumping. The difference for me was, between short-range practice round (168SMK) which shot 0.6" - 0.7", and the VLD-style 155 scenars which shot 1.5" - 2.0" at 100 yards.

I spent a lot of time and money trying to make it work, and it wouldn't.

I never tried the Sierra 2156's, but had I stayed with the 700P barrel I'd have wound up there, or with the 175's.

FWIW, I have re-tried the 155 scenars (the ones I had left over) in the new Krieger and they shoot very very well.

Edit: I have also begun, and had good early success at short range, with the Berger 185 juggernauts. Their accuracy seemed for me in my barrel to be <span style="font-style: italic">relatively</span> insensitive to seating depth, even to prefer jumping. Ballistically they are vastly superior to the 175SMKs.

http://www.snipershide.com/forum/ubbthre...rue#Post3453178

It's a bummer that you are looking for a load that goes to 1000 yards, I would help but my loads only make it to 996 yards.

Reactions: longknives

Here's a post I made regarding the military using Imr 4064 in their most recent 308 loads

guys u should chrony that 175 smk 41.7 imr 4064 load l/c brass load from 30 degrees to 104 my velocities were were: Remington 700P 26" barrel

At 30 degrees, 2616-2625
At 104 degrees 2615-2650

I only shot 10 of each to get a general idea

Varget is not the only MEOW...

10-4 man. Wasnt trying to be ugly. Just wondering what your reasoning was. Ps. Meow

2clicks,

What AR are you running?

What Iron sights did you use?

Got pics of the AR?

Do you shoot this AR XTC?

Personally I would love to shoot VVN140 for .308. IMHO it is the best powder. I find deals on other powders around $16 a pound so that's usually the determining factor for me.

Also I believe it's near impossible to NOT get excellent results from RL-15, IMR4064, VARGET, IMR4895, VVN140 in .308 or .223

Case in point my buddy gave me a # of Varget said it wouldn't shoot for him. So I worked up a load and guess what It shoots as good as the rest of the list there. It's just a matter of putting in the time to tweak the loads.

I hate to just say Varget all the time or hear it/read it. Truth is fiddling around and having worked up several loads with different powders has been lots of fun. And my results with IMR4064 show Varget isn't the only Cool Cat in the heat.

If you think about it all these powders are pretty darn close in burn rate so how would they not Perform equally well. I'm sure there are others I just haven't used them, Yet...

However IMR4064 and VARGET are the two least affected by the temperature, so far.

I do use Varget in a 168 AMax load 44-44.5 grains in a commercial case.
for my 20" .308

But, in my 26" .308 I use 41.7 grains Lake City tuned brass behind the 175smk.

Later fella's have fun be safe...

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Iggy.</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 2clicks</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I hate to even speak this one... Varget
</div></div>

What's wrong with Varget? </div></div>

It's Terrible! Worst powder ever.

Hope everyone stops using it.

That should bring the price down so I can stock up
cool.gif

Only true gripe is that the rat crap shaped granules meter terrible through traditional powder measures.

The first time I tried Varget, I was extremely dis-appointed. Groups were not very impressive compared to R15 or 2000MR. I'm not a fanboy yet but I'm trying (because of the hype). Since then I finally found a combination that's better but not good enough to stop searching.

I have a couple loads that should be fine to 1K. These are out of 64 different load combinations tried so far!

175 SMK 2.820 OAL
Horandy Match brass
Winchester primer
47.5gr 2000MR
2680 fps

175 SMK 2.810 OAL
Federal Match Brass
Winchester Primer
43.3gr R15
2610 fps

Both shoot under 1/2" or better from a stock Remington 5R.