• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

.308 Afghanistan

batman292

Private
Minuteman
Jul 31, 2011
Colorado
I am looking to get everything I need to put together a .308 rifle when i get home. I just ordered a Mcree chassis. I want to buy a barreled action as opposed to a new rifle. The problem I see and am looking for some guidance with is how to purchase one and have it sent home if I am overseas. Any help and input on the rifle itself would be greatly appreciated.

There have been a couple of great custom .308 barreled actions in the FS section recently.

I am looking to get everything I need to put together a .308 rifle when i get home. I just ordered a Mcree chassis. I want to buy a barreled action as opposed to a new rifle. The problem I see and am looking for some guidance with is how to purchase one and have it sent home if I am overseas. Any help and input on the rifle itself would be greatly appreciated.
If I was you, I would use RW Snyder Gunsmithing because he sells exactly what you are looking for:
» Base Custom Rifle RW Snyder Gunsmithing

It comes as a fully assembled barreled action that you can drop in your McRees. You can spec it as you want to preference and it already comes with all the essentials (rail, cerakote, threaded muzzle, tuned trigger, etc)

I did exactly what you're doing. I found a Savage model 12 action married to a Benchmark barrel and then picked up a McRee chassis. I found the action here on the Hide.

If I was you, I would use RW Snyder Gunsmithing because he sells exactly what you are looking for:
» Base Custom Rifle RW Snyder Gunsmithing

It comes as a fully assembled barreled action that you can drop in your McRees. You can spec it as you want to preference and it already comes with all the essentials (rail, cerakote, threaded muzzle, tuned trigger, etc)

This is the route I would go as well, I bought one of his Base Custom Rifles last year and it is well worth the money.

I am not looking to drop that kind of money. My goal is to keep the rifle on par with my abilities so I do not waste a good barrel when I can not shoot nearly well enough to get to the rifles limits. Essentially I am not looking to be that 16 year old with a Ferrari.

Last edited:
Just have a family member or friend sign for your action. If you live in a state that allows it, they can just give it to you. On the bright side, everything going on here has delays and long waits so it's better to get everything you can ordered as soon as possible. That way you may just have it waiting for you when you get home. Stay safe and thank you for your service.

I went with a R700 SPS tactical and upgraded things as I saw fit. Worked out well for me. I've like to try a Savage one of these days because it seems that are more user friendly for changes.

I can get you a NIB factory rem 700 .308 for 525+SH. All you need to do is find an FFL in your area. Good luck shooting it out tho..... .308 will go thousands of rounds....

I've sold guns to deployed troops before from time to time, and it's not really that much trouble. Either have the receiving FFL hold onto the weapon until you return, or see about having someone with power of attorney pick up the weapon for you.

You will regret not doing it right the first time. If you insist on dropping a mid range factory setup into a McRees, then go with the Remington 700 AAC-SD. It has a 1/10 twist and should work ok for you.

I would try to get something as accurate as possible to start with, especially if you are working on fundamentals. Getting accurate feedback from your platform is essential to your progress. You can definitely cut corners in certain areas, but I wouldn't start off with a sub-par build just because you're working on your fundamentals. My two cents, worth everything you paid for it.

i dont know if you know it or not there are 2 great shooting ranges close to you when you get home.
thunder valley and rayners range.
and SAC (short action customs)is only about a 2 hour drive for you.with that being the case your skills will grow quickly
and your desire for a custom will come quick, so you should just get the custom gun rolling now and it will be ready when you get home.

for out of the box rifles, the Remington 700 AAC-SD is my favorite so far. I also liked my 5R milspec and currently have a savage 10FCP-SR.
I would have a family member go buy a rifle for me if I could find a good deal on one but you may not want to rush it much and get your hands on a couple different models when you get home. ive done a bit of changing around and am on my 4th rig but I know more about what I like and don't.