• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

308 Ammo Choice- Fed Am Eagle or Rem UMC?

pnorris

Sergeant
Minuteman
Mar 3, 2012
I am looking at two options for ammo right now. I am looking at Remington UMC or Fed. American Eagle. This is for a 308 and both loads are 150 grains. What would you choose. The Federal would be about $60 more for 1k rounds.

Re: 308 Ammo Choice- Fed Am Eagle or Rem UMC?

Whats the intended purpose? If you're just looking for blasting ammo, I think you're answered the question on your own. If you're looking for high quality ammo for a precision rifle, neither of those is going to really be your best bet.

Buy them both and find out which one your gun likes better. Then buy in bulk the one you can depend on =)

This will be plinking ammo. For more precision ammo I will get something else like Federal GMM. Just curious as to how these two compare for plinking and shooting volume without burning the bank.

For plinking I would buy the cheap UMC Ammo for just shooting stuff. For percision ammo I would load my own or buy some I'm a guy who is starting to prefer Hornady ammo.

I just got back from the range myself testing out a bunch of ammo finally in my POF 20" 308. Started off with the UMC 147 gr... that actually worked kinda well - about 1 moa - 1.5 moa @ 100yds. Went to hornady amax 168 gr match, which yielded 1 moa. Then went to southwest ammo 175 gr match SMK... about .5 moa - maybe a little less.

I agree... plinking ammo for the UMC or Federal Eagle stuff... Hornady or Federal GMM for more precision shooting... and more money
smile.gif

Amer eagle is 1 to 0.75 MOA in my carbine.

Oddly, Winchester 7.62x51 ball is 7.5 MOA.

What the gun likes, the gun gets.

BMT

I have found the Rem to kick less ( to me) but was way more dirtier. I was shooting at steel so I couldn't give you any MOA.