• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

.308 Ammo Questions

jstrong

Private
Minuteman
Sep 22, 2013
Hey guys,

I'm new to the forum, and pretty new to shooting. I'm planning on buying a .308 Remington 700 5R this week, and I need some advice on what type of ammo to get and where to get it. I know lost of people will probably just say get it wherever you can find it, but I'm hoping for some more pointed advice. From what I'm reading, most people seem to be shooting Federal 175 grain, but does it really matter? Then I've read stuff about "matched" ammo, which I don't understand. Also, does it matter if it's hollow point or open tip?

I plan on punching paper at about 500 yards. I live in Utah. And I wouldn't mind buying a box of 500 and then start reloading after I shoot through that. Any advice on what and where to buy would be appreciate.

Thanks

175 gr, is the norm for long range calibers in non magnum 30 cal. the 168 gr are also good for mid range to about 800 yards or so. the 175 stays supersonic longer. You also have the 178 AMAX, 190 SMK as well as the target VLD and Hybrid VLD from berger

And it's "Match" (as in shooting match ie: competition) not "matched".

Edit: Unless you mean handloads that are matched to your bbl harmonics...

Buy some Federal Gold Medal Match ammo with 175 grain Sierra Match King bullets. I shot with a guy this weekend at a 600 yd match, and he was running that combo, Fed GMM and Rem 700, and he was doing great.

I was at the gun show in Dallas and got the last box of .308 bullets for reloading in 168 gr.
The guy also had 200 grain Sierra Match grade bullets. So I bought a box. Will that develop pressures too high for my AR 10 .308?
I have a 16 inch barrel. My thought is for hunting deer at 100 - 150 yards.

For any 'newbie' I would highly suggest doing a lot of reading and google searches. Most of these answers can be found with a quick search. There is a metic shit ton of information on this website, read it, read it again and keep on reading. 168-175 smk's will run just fine in just about any Remington 700 in 308.

I would suggest getting with Rangerwalker71 here on the hide. He usually has BlackHills 168/175 2nds for far less than shelf prices. You will have good results at that range with either.

Nice choice for your rifle! I love my 5r's. My 308 shoots 168 grain FGMM very well out to about 700 yards, beyond that the 175's shine.
When buying ammo in bulk a lot of us prefer that the ammo be from the same lot. The thinking is that the loads will be more consistent, therefore making the shots more consistent.
I think you'll find the 5r's will handle a variety of ammo well, but you still may want to try different loads in your rifle to see what it shoots best before investing in 500 rounds.

I was at the gun show in Dallas and got the last box of .308 bullets for reloading in 168 gr.
The guy also had 200 grain Sierra Match grade bullets. So I bought a box. Will that develop pressures too high for my AR 10 .308?
I have a 16 inch barrel. My thought is for hunting deer at 100 - 150 yards.

Running a 200gr Match King really depends on the twist of your barrel more than it does your platform. Bullets that heavy are usually for people planning on doing subsonic work with a suppressor.

What is the twist rate on your barrel? I have heard of people running up to 190's in a 1-N-12 twist, but that is not the norm. For heavier bullets people tend to go with a 1-N-10 or faster, in order to better stabilize the bullet.

Thanks a bunch guys! I got some Federal Premium Gold Medal 308 Win 168 and 175 Grain Sierra Matchking BTHP, and I'll see which one works best.

I have shot a lot of the American Eagle 168OTM.
This is NOT the 150 grain load.
It is a match load specifically for gas guns.
It shot VERY well in the 4 bolt guns that I shot it in, including a Rem 5R.
You are not going to be shooting at distances that require the extra range provided by the 175 grain loads.
Buy a couple of cases of the American Eagle load and learn on it, save your brass and learn reloading.
The AE load has crimped in primers.

The Remi 5R Milspec has a 1:11.25 twist which is optimal for the ML118 ammo. So 175 SMK from anyone will shoot best. The 200 SMK may or may not stabilize. It's probably on the border. Shoot it and see. It will have much different dope though as its moving much slower probably only 2350-2400 FPS. Great in the Utah wind though! ;)

What do you guys think of the GGG Lithuanian GP11 ball ammo for target practice 300 yards and in and XM118LR for more serious practice? I am building up my long range shooting skill/base and want to have accurate but affordable ammo. Other ammo I've seen is new HSM in 168 and 175, new Hornady 168 A-Max or HPBT, and Privi Partizan 168 HTBP. Any thought as to which is a good ammo to stock up on? I'm thinking XM118LR.

What do you guys think of the GGG Lithuanian GP11 ball ammo for target practice 300 yards and in and XM118LR for more serious practice? I am building up my long range shooting skill/base and want to have accurate but affordable ammo. Other ammo I've seen is new HSM in 168 and 175, new Hornady 168 A-Max or HPBT, and Privi Partizan 168 HTBP. Any thought as to which is a good ammo to stock up on? I'm thinking XM118LR.

GGG performs darn near as good as Fed. GMM out of my M21. If I could afford it I'd buy a pallet of it.

For any 'newbie' I would highly suggest doing a lot of reading and google searches. Most of these answers can be found with a quick search. There is a metic shit ton of information on this website, read it, read it again and keep on reading. 168-175 smk's will run just fine in just about any Remington 700 in 308.

^^^ what he said