• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

.308 AP cases

insectguy

Sergeant
Minuteman
Mar 11, 2009
Chattanooga
Had a class this past week where I used some LC .308 AP rounds with the green glue holding in the primer. Today I broke my primer pin trying to deprime the brass. Couldn't get the first one out. I'm thinking just throw those in the scrap brass bin-- any thoughts?

Re: .308 AP cases

If you are using your sizing die to attempt decapping you should get a dedicated decapping die. Lee has a decent one for about 10 bucks. The LC brass will have a crimp on the primers which can cause breakage. You will need to swage the primer pockets after decapping.

Josh

The green stuff should just be a waterproof sealant, not really a glue, so should be no harder to deprime than any other crimped-in military primer.

Sound like the pin is the weak point.

I'll also suggest the Lee universal deprimig die. Solid-one piece decapping stem, so no weaker pin at the tip to break or bend. And the decapping unit is held into the die by adjustable friction, so a really stuck primer will just release the stem, and not damage it. I've had no trouble using it on all types on military brass, including old IMI stuff with the green sealant and the old style 3 large "hash mark" crimps.

Or perhaps just try doing the depriming operation a little more slowly?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: insectguy</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Had a class this past week where I used some LC .308 AP rounds with the green glue holding in the primer. Today I broke my primer pin trying to deprime the brass. Couldn't get the first one out. I'm thinking just throw those in the scrap brass bin-- any thoughts? </div></div>

Maybe the flash hole was off center? You shouldn't have issues. Are you sure it's a boxer primed case, double check that, as stranger things have happened.

I'm betting the hole is off.

Chris

Lee's decapping die is the cheapest and strongest one made.I wish that I had looked at one before I bought a more expensive one.As others have advised,make sure those cases are not berdan primed.The military crimp does make depriming a little harder,but should not break your pins. Pete

OK-- end result-- Berdan Primers.

I feel really stupid, but I obviously had no clue the AP rounds would be Berdan primed.

Lesson learned. Decapping pin replaced. Brass in the scrap bin.

I'm surprised to learn that LAKE CITY (LC) would use Berdan cases/primers! I have used the Lee decapping system (steel base with hole cut out and hammer-driven "decapping punch") if I find that decapping with dies is too hard. I can strongly recommend the Dillon primer swage--it does a beautiful job of putting a chamfer on the primer pocket using all of the brass that is there. This is much better than cutting off the crimp, in my opinion--and I did that until I got my Dillon swage.

I am a big fan of the Lee decapping die.

1556.jpg

But when I get really serious I put a Lee de capping rod [bought from Lee as a $3 spare part for a Lee loader] into a collet die.
This really holds the decapping rod in the center.

Some brass has tiny little flash holes. I buy extra rods and turn them down on the lathe.

I measure the flash holes with a pin gauge set.
I put the rod in the lathe and spin it fast.
I pinch the tip with emery cloth until the tip measures small enough.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: longebow</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I'm surprised to learn that LAKE CITY (LC) would use Berdan cases/primers!</div></div>

They use them on the .50 BMG AP cartridges. Once I went back and saw that I figured it was the same for all LC AP ammo. I think it is a little weird as well.

Josh

BTW, I've been informed .308 ap ammo is restricted. Although I've found no regulations governing such, I do work for a .gov, and it was used in the conduct of my business. Ergo, it was ok.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: insectguy</div><div class="ubbcode-body">BTW, I've been informed .308 ap ammo is restricted. Although I've found no regulations governing such, I do work for a .gov, and it was used in the conduct of my business. Ergo, it was ok. </div></div>

JFHC. Someone's been polishing up their Junior G-Man badge this morning.

I'm really surprised about the LC berdan cases. Just for general info, RCBS makes a heavy duty decapping die specifically for military cases.
myerfire

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: insectguy</div><div class="ubbcode-body">BTW, I've been informed .308 ap ammo is restricted. Although I've found no regulations governing such, I do work for a .gov, and it was used in the conduct of my business. Ergo, it was ok. </div></div>

Didn't that law sunset in 2004?

Didn't it never affect hand loaders, just manufacturers?