• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

.308 AR, 16" barrel, rifle length gas

Tactical22

Sergeant
Minuteman
Sep 20, 2009
SC
I really like the idea of the combination of a rifle length gas system and a 16" barrel on a .308 AR. I know it has been done before, ;) and wish there were more barrel options like this out there. For those of you with this setup, did you have to enlarge the gas hole from what was there previously (if you had the barrel shortened)? What size is your gas port?

I'm thinking the pressure drop right before the bullet exits the barrel might effect accuracy and reliability at the same time... I have a 18.5 with a rifle length gas system and it's very accurate and reliable soooooo I don't know honestly.... It would awesome if it did work well.

I recently built a 16" 308 rifle length gas. Fulton Armory 16" barrel. It is 1MOA with FGM 168 shoots super soft. I have 2 other Mega 308 builds with mid-length gas that I was comparing to.

standard.jpg

Tactical22,
I hope you don't mind me hitching a ride on your thread.

All,
My question concerns reliability with this combination. I'd like to know how everyones setup has run with the port so close to the muzzle. I'm asking b/c I currently have a 20" AR-10T and am not having any luck trading into a 16". I can get the current bbl cut, threaded and crowned but didn't want to without checking with those who run this combo.

Thanks,
Keith

built mine last year. I had a lot of people it won't work right...blah blah blah.....But I kept looking at my OLD Bushmaster 5.56 Rifle that is also a true disappator (16" barrel w/ rifle length gas system), and that thing runs perfect, always has, with the exception of full auto fire. So I started hunting around and trading for parts. It runs great, very soft shooting. Can't remember the gas port size of it, but I used a JP adjustable on there also. Can't measure it right now, it is at home and I'm at work. but the gas part is big. This setup also does not affect accuracy and reliable has been fine on mine. I traded into a lija barrel that originally was a 20" barrel.