• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

308 AR mutt build

AlterEgo

Private
Minuteman
Nov 30, 2008
Ok guys, I am building a 308 AR that's a bit of a mutt. It's got the following stuff in it.

Barrel from friend's Cobb MCR in .308 and free float tube
Armalite AR10 bolt carrier group (headspaces to barrel fine)
EGW 0.875" gas block
DPMS upper/charging handle
AR15 standard rifle length gas tube

It looks to me that the gas tube is a bit short (say 3/16" to 1/4"). If I understand it correctly, the Armalite 308 gas tube is a bit longer than the DPMS version. Seems I need an Armalite AR10 gas tube, does this sound right to folks?

Also plan on doing a Tactical Machining 80% lower for it, and perhaps a Colt A1 buttstock or something to complete the mutt aspect (LOL!). Any other oddball part suggestions are appreciated! Maybe an M14 flash hider?

Re: 308 AR mutt build

can i just ask why anyone would buy a lower thats 80% done?? what are you saving over getting one thats already 100% done?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: AXEMAN</div><div class="ubbcode-body">can i just ask why anyone would buy a lower thats 80% done?? what are you saving over getting one thats already 100% done? </div></div>

No FFL and no Serial No. The downside is that you can never sell the thing.

Why 80%? Sure, I like to build stuff and have access to the machinery. Not for $ saving.

Yep, gotcha on the buffer tube. I've built a DPMS as well, so I know the deal there.

Anyone know about the length difference b/t Armalite and DPMS 308 gas tubes? Or if the Cobb barrels were worth a sh*t?